PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The non-Chiefs market for Cassel -- Broncos/Bucs 3-way trade? [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumour is that the Broncos received a call about a potential 3 way deal involving TB. MCD wanted to do the deal to get his guy but Xanders did not. After much deliberation, Xanders put the kibosh to the deal as he has full authority over personnel.

If that's all that happened, then the rumor would have never been leaked. I mean, the call comes in, the Broncos say, we'll think about it. Xanders gets on the phone later, says no. How does it leak?

I can not understand why BB couldn't secure a conditional 2010 pick as well in this deal. Something smells!

This is the only thing I wondered about myself. It would seem reasonable for the trade to have included a future conditional pick, dependent upon Cassel's play in 2009.

Getting back to what we actually know about the trade. Yes, it's a second round pick, but this is the 34th pick overall, which is only the second pick after the first round. The Patriots now have the 23rd, 34th, 47th, and 58th overall selections in the first two rounds. That's a pretty good bunch of picks, and I like where each pick is slotted (both generally, and in relation to eachother). Also, let's remember that NE cleared $18M+ in cap space by pulling the trigger on this trade, which gives them a decent amount of room to sign other free agents, offer extensions to current Patriots, and sign their draft picks.

Last edited:
This is the only thing I wondered about myself. It would seem reasonable for the trade to have included a future conditional pick, dependent upon Cassel's play in 2009.

Getting back to what we actually know about the trade. Yes, it's a second round pick, but this is the 34th pick overall, which is only the second pick after the first round. The Patriots now have the 23rd, 34th, 47th, and 58th overall selections in the first two rounds. That's a pretty good bunch of picks, and I like where each pick is slotted (both generally, and in relation to eachother). Also, let's remember that NE cleared $18M+ in cap space by pulling the trigger on this trade, which gives them a decent amount of room to sign other free agents, offer extensions to current Patriots, and sign their draft picks.

IMO, If there was at the least a fifth rounder thrown in by Pioli, this would have been easier to take. Why couldn't BB take a shot at a fifth either this year or a fifth that could move to a fourth in 2010? Nobody would be saying collusion or fleece or the best one I heard, "severance package to Pioli".
I am afraid that even though I am a fan of BB, this was not a strong trade and I would say it to his face. Nobody can spin this one that Felger, Riess Lombardi and Schefter are trying to do so desperately. I have much respect for the last three.

Bottom line: A big black mark on the new Tampa Bay F.O. as Felger said, they have had weeks to get this done.
BB should save face and call Pioli for a fifth choice even next year,.....or trade LJ for Maroney and give us a pick. Perhaps Watson for Tony G.?

Here is the funny thing. This bothers me more than the "camera location incident" that we lost a first rounder on. That was an opinion call, this is a deal from weakness......unless!!! there is a big FA signing which I doubt will happen. The only caveat is we sign Peppers now as protection in case we have to let Seymour go to FA in 2011?.

I think we have more CAP than everyone says(Miguel) after we did not resign the many FA's we had on the books as of Friday evening. There was about $16m on Thursday that were not resigned. Does anybody know how that works? Is that now free CAP space?
DW Toys

I think it's now safe to say that Cassel is legit. If McDaniels and Pioli, the two who know him the best, were not interested I would conclude that he was a system QB. But it now seems the hottest new GM and new young head coach both wanted him as their QB. It seems neither of them thought his success was tied to throwing to Moss and Welker and Faulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes