PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The non-Chiefs market for Cassel -- Broncos/Bucs 3-way trade? [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Broncos were after Cassell too..

No way do I see that happening. Cutler threw for 4500 yards last year and had an 87 rating. He went as the 11th pick in the draft and just finished his 3rd year. He is faster, stronger, younger and more experienced than Cassel, and his contract is $8 million/year for the next three years. Exactly how would that deal make sense?

The AFC West is becoming the Patriots West this off-season.

Broncos
Jabar Gaffney
Josh McDaniels
Lonie Paxton

Chiefs
Matt Cassel
Mike Vrabel
Scott Pioli

Im glad he's in Kansas and not Denver. Reuniting him with McD wouldn't be a good idea since we know what the capabilities are there.

No way do I see that happening. Cutler threw for 4500 yards last year and had an 87 rating. He went as the 11th pick in the draft and just finished his 3rd year. He is faster, stronger, younger and more experienced than Cassel, and his contract is $8 million/year for the next three years. Exactly how would that deal make sense?

because he's rapidly developing a reputation as a gunslinger who doesn't take care of the ball and makes poor decisions.

Re: KC only interested Team

Teams didn't get a chance to show interest in Cassel, he got tagged recently and free agency started yesterday. That is why we have always waited until draft day to make these trades.

Cassel has been out there for three weeks. Plenty of time for

his agent to line up potential suitors. Apparently, the only team

to offer decent compensation to the Pats was K. C. One reason

the compensation is so low is K. C. doesn't have a long term deal yet.

They have Cassel for 1 year and a 14.6 million dollar cap hit. They

have taken the gamble that they can extend him.

Do you really think if we called the Lions and said, " Vrabel and Cassel for 20?" we would've got it?

WE GOT SCAMMED PEOPLE!
No, because the Lions are the dumbest organization in the history of professional sports. Cassel and Vrabel are not the type of individuals the Lions are interested in. Do you really think that BB made this deal when there were others on the table which were more attractive?

I'm not happy about the net return for Cassel and one of my all-time favorite Pats, but this only shows what all of us really know about the inner workings of the NFL....bumpkus. I can't get too p!$$ed though because I still get mad when I think about the 1st rounder stolen from us last year!!

because he's rapidly developing a reputation as a gunslinger who doesn't take care of the ball and makes poor decisions.

The guy had issues when he was diagnosed with diabetes in 2007 and got it under control for 2008. His reputation is based on what, his interception stats last year (with the 2nd most passes attempted)? In 2007 he had 14 interceptions, a respectable number in the NFL.

I was very happy with Cassel last year, but he has exactly 16 pro games to base his reputation on, no familiarity with that system, and threw to a significantly better receiving corps, despite Denver's being very good last year. And he will likely cost more than Cutler to boot. The Broncos also had huge issues in the running game last year, making the offense one dimensional.

If you kick a 1st round draft pick after his 2nd full season, the only answer can be he is uncoachable. I've never heard that about Cutler, so I would have to believe if that personnel move were made, the Denver GM better pack his bags for the following year if Cassel produces inferior results. Cutler is not Favre with 15 years of history to set him in his ways. Add to that you also just hired McDaniels who is supposedly an accomplished QB coach. I for one am eager to see what Cassel does in KC in a new system.

Last edited:

I'm just hoping there's some additional guaranteed in the deal if the chiefs trade cassel

Re: Breer:The market for cassel

We can hope a lot of GMs are kicking themselves for not playing. Time for another 19-0 run to punish the NFL.

We can hope a lot of GMs are kicking themselves for not playing. Time for another 19-0 run to punish the NFL.
Another 19 - 0? I'll settle for 18 - 1. :cool:

As much as I hope it doesn't come back to bite the Patriots (Jim Plunkett to 9ers to Raiders), I hope that somehow the Lions, Vikings and 9ers get blasted for not making a move. Obviously it is all speculation as to how much each team was/wasn't involved in trade talk, but the fact is, none did better than the 34th pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just what I was thinking.. Cassel wasn't marketed correctly (sometimes having closed doors and lips doesn't help) and the pats didn't get top dollar for him..

Just what I was thinking.. Cassel wasn't marketed correctly (sometimes having closed doors and lips doesn't help) and the pats didn't get top dollar for him..
What would you have done differently?

According to sources, the Vikings and 49ers, two teams that would've logical landing spots for Cassel, weren't in the mix because of the perceived price tag, and that hurt the market. Tampa and Carolina may have been, as was, according to reports, Denver. Kansas City obviously was.

If your a team in the market for a QB, why the hell wouldn't you place a call to the Patriots the minute FA starts to at least communicate your level of interest in Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes