PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Matt Cassel Experiment...is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over...I agree. I've thought he sucked since preseason. Saw no improvement over last year. He must practice well in order to stay on the roster. Don't be surprised to see the Pats working out some vets for insurance. He will NOT be on the roster next year.

Re: The Matt Cassel Experiment.....is.....

This garbage that Cassel is atrocious is clearly coming from people who don't really watch games....

Watching games would help one judge Cassell -- how?

:)

The reason Cassel didn't start at USC is because he lost the coin flip. Pete Carroll said as much.

I saw a charity flag football game last year, and the guy spent most of his time on the bench. Russ Francis and Steve DeOssie each played more downs than he did.

Not playing seems to be his most natural role.

I beg to differ that it's based upon one play. Far from it. I'm amazed that he's lasted this long. He's atrocious. He has no intangibles.

The other thing I'd pile on here is that the coach didn't yank him because he thought it was a forgivable mistake. He yanked him because Gutierrez is probably a much better player at this level.

If Gutierrez was better, then he would be Brady's backup. The coaches base their decision on watching these guys in practice. If the coaches think Cassel is the more competent backup, then he is.

Belichick did not put Cassel back in because he was furious at him. Cassel really did make an atrocious mistake. But if Cassel really is terrible and Gutierrez is that much better, than I expect the depth chart to reflect that accordingly. It doesn't.

Anyway, I can't get too worked up about the backup QB situation because if Brady is out for any significant length of time, we're f'd.

Cassel may not be the guy for the #2 spot, but I'm certainly not going to judge it on one terrible decision/play. That's stupid. stcjones is on a roll today!

If Gutierrez was better, then he would be Brady's backup. The coaches base their decision on watching these guys in practice. If the coaches think Cassel is the more competent backup, then he is.

Belichick did not put Cassel back in because he was furious at him. Cassel really did make an atrocious mistake. But if Cassel really is terrible and Gutierrez is that much better, than I expect the depth chart to reflect that accordingly. It doesn't.

Anyway, I can't get too worked up about the backup QB situation because if Brady is out for any significant length of time, we're f'd.

Hey, look, everyone - SANITY! Good post.

I do think Gutierrez is our future backup after a year in the weight room. He reminded me of Brady in his first year. A little skinny, but he seems comfortable in the pocket. Hey, maybe Miami will trade us Taylor for Cassel? They can use another QB:singing:

That doesn't quite follow. There's a lag in these things.

E.g., the coaches suspected Brady was better than Bledsoe, but Bledsoe still kept his starting job until an early injury decided the matter.

Cassell could get a couple of chances as tests, then wind up sliding down the bench.

Hey, look, everyone - SANITY! Good post.

Agree. Cassell, who has hardly played all year, comes in cold in the 4th and makes a bad pass. Is this a reason to cut him?

I remember so many here wanted Hanson's head a couple of weeks ago. Today he made two great punts to pin the Fish deep in their territory.

No offense, but I'd rather entrust the the depth chart to the coaches instead of the armchair QB's who rush to judgement every time someone makes a mistake. Do any of you really think you can do better evaluations?

When has Cassel ever shown anything in any game? In 3 years you'd think he'd have something. This guy is a stiff. He sucks. Anyone who doesn't see it that way is a homer of homers.

By that logic Damon Huard and Michael Bishop (not to mention Drew Bledsoe) are all better than Tom Brady.

When has Cassel ever shown anything in any game? In 3 years you'd think he'd have something. This guy is a stiff. He sucks. Anyone who doesn't see it that way is a homer of homers.

Take it easy. No one's saying the guy's awesome. I just don't think we should cut him because of one bad play. We're probably going to let him go after his contract runs out. For now, I'm willing to see what BB thinks and go with that, okay?

Take it easy. No one's saying the guy's awesome. I just don't think we should cut him because of one bad play. We're probably going to let him go after his contract runs out. For now, I'm willing to see what BB thinks and go with that, okay?

I agree. I think we let him walk. There's nothing there that makes you want to keep him.

When has Cassell ever played meaningful snaps in a game?

Good grief, it's like a MENSA convention in here.

By that logic Damon Huard and Michael Bishop (not to mention Drew Bledsoe) are all better than Tom Brady.

I'm not saying Cassel is better than Gutierrez. Gutierrez could very well be better, and maybe they will switch places on the depth chart, I don't know. But I'm trying to show that the coaches have thousands of hours of practice time to judge these guys. Sure they make mistakes, but I trust that they think atm that Cassel is the better option.

I mean seriously, if they thought Cassel was incompetent and atrocious, he wouldn't be here. And he certainly wouldn't play backup to Tom Brady if Gutierrez was that much better.

And I can't use Brady's rise up the depth chart behind Bledsoe, the franchise QB, as a comparable example...Come on! :cool:

If you are confident with cassels coming in off the bench in relief of Brady....good for you....

The only thing that can derail the Pats is a Brady injury

Personally, I'd rather see a journeyman backup with some starting experience (Batch, Collins, Warner) than a raw backup. We would need someone to manage a game - just keep the ship afloat. Plus its not like this is a position where the Pats are trying to develop players.

Completely agree...We don't need an 'up & coming qb' or a 'young & forever destined to be a backup qb' since the starting QB spot, barring career ending injury, won't be up for grabs for atleast 7 years.

What we need (and we could've had) is Vinny Testaverde -- someone who is good enough to start on any given week & give the team a shot at winning, but yet not a permanent starter because he's not good enough to either string along great consecutive starts or (in Vinny's case) is too old to withstand 19 starts in a row.

Good.....at least we think alike.....I think the same of you Mo....first class loser.......I have never seen you make an intelligent post....congrats on that!

You need to read around here more.

If Brady gets injured I say bring in Bledsoe ... that's how i feel about Cassell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST