PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Matt Cassel Experiment...is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Matt Cassel Experiment.....is.....

I beg to differ that it's based upon one play. Far from it. I'm amazed that he's lasted this long. He's atrocious. He has no intangibles.

The other thing I'd pile on here is that the coach didn't yank him because he thought it was a forgivable mistake. He yanked him because Gutierrez is probably a much better player at this level.

There's a reason why Cassell didn't start at USC.

Hmmmm, how do you perceive a lack of intangibles?

Let's trade him for Testaverde....no wait, damn, the deadline was last week
Somebody call Doug Flutie

If Brady gets injured I say bring in Bledsoe ... that's how i feel about Cassell.

Honestly, I think that would probably be our best option if the unspeakable were to happen. Plus now that we have Moss, bledsoe's affinity for throwing wildly downfield won't hurt anymore since Moss catches everything within 30 yards of him.

Last edited:
When has Cassel ever shown anything in any game? In 3 years you'd think he'd have something. This guy is a stiff. He sucks. Anyone who doesn't see it that way is a homer of homers.

Amen to that brother. Amen to that. This guy is a big time stiff. End of story. He shows me absolutely NOTHING everytime he plays but freshman-esque mistakes. The same people defending this guy are probably the same homers who used to make excuse after excuse for Bledsoe's sorry old tired act here.

Cassel does suck ass, but he's not as bad a Tavaris Jackson. Talk about pathetic!

Re: The Matt Cassel Experiment.....is.....

I beg to differ that it's based upon one play. Far from it. I'm amazed that he's lasted this long. He's atrocious. He has no intangibles.

The other thing I'd pile on here is that the coach didn't yank him because he thought it was a forgivable mistake. He yanked him because Gutierrez is probably a much better player at this level.

There's a reason why Cassell didn't start at USC.

I'm starting to agree. And it's not based on one series (stupid to think anyone could come to that conclusion based on one series). At this point, I don't think Cassel has done anything to distinguish himself in the opportunities he's had so far with the Pats...regular season or pre-season.

The idea that there's no question he's a solid backup, that there's no room for debate as to whether he is a solid backup, as some have inferred, just doesn't mesh with reality.

OVER!........This guy can not cut it in the NFL.......I know I will get butchered on that statement
Not at all. All players are judged on the last couple plays. You cannot tolerate losing lest you build a loser mentality. BB should cut him and make it plain:
you screw up, you are fired. Otherwise he will lose this team in a hurry.

Not at all. All players are judged on the last couple plays. You cannot tolerate losing lest you build a loser mentality. BB should cut him and make it plain:

Thank god more voices of reason.......I thought we were starting to lose it here!! Thanks Tom!!!

Didn't Brady have a HORRIBLE pick against Cincinnati that led to points? And don't get me started on that strip-sack for a TD last week.

Thank god more voices of reason.......I thought we were starting to lose it here!! Thanks Tom!!!

I'm pretty certain that he was being sarcastic and NOT supporting your stupidity.

Just watched the replay as I was a little distracted.

He threw the int to Jason Taylor. He's a defensive end. Not really common place for a DE to drop into coverage, maybe it's a mistake that could happen to anyone?:rolleyes:

The interception he threw was dumb. He followed the receiver from start to go and Taylor read him like a book. Kind of makes you appreciate Brady because he makes it look so gd easy.

The interception he threw was dumb. He followed the receiver from start to go and Taylor read him like a book. Kind of makes you appreciate Brady because he makes it look so gd easy.

I agree he might, (keep in mind we saw the play from the side, he didn't) but he had all the DBs and LBs accounted for and Taylor came from way the opposite side of the field.

It's the type of INT that's happened to Brady more than a few times.

Sorry, I just replayed it about 10 times. He goes back and immediately throws to his man momentarily open between two defenders.

He's supposed to go "maybe the left DE is leaving his area and going completely across the field"?

Whether Cassel is good or not, that's simply a great play by Taylor.

Sorry, I just replayed it about 10 times. He goes back and immediately throws to his man momentarily open between two defenders.

He's supposed to go "maybe the left DE is leaving his area and going completely across the field"?

Whether Cassel is good or not, that's simply a great play by Taylor.

Basically that's what Brady said. Miami did a great job at disguising the coverage and Taylor didn't win defensive player of the year last year because he's chopped liver.

If an occasional INT was enough to disuade BB he'd have never brought Vinny back last year. And he could have kept him this year but gave the 3 slot to a UDFA.

Some of 'em just gotta have someone or something to go off on. It's one of the reasons other teams fans detest us. The justifiable reason.

Basically that's what Brady said. Miami did a great job at disguising the coverage and Taylor didn't win defensive player of the year last year because he's chopped liver.

If an occasional INT was enough to disuade BB he'd have never brought Vinny back last year. And he could have kept him this year but gave the 3 slot to a UDFA.

Some of 'em just gotta have someone or something to go off on. It's one of the reasons other teams fans detest us. The justifiable reason.

I really don't think the team has enough to go on, much less fans who can't get in to practices.

It does seem (from the side) that he could have seen him, but I'm guessing it was a quick hit play and once he saw two defenders right there he was supposed to throw while the window was open.

I know what you're saying otherwise, Mo. I have some questions with the special defensive packages, but I hesitate because idon't want to get into one of these "everything sucks" threads.

Since we're considered gods around the league, you'd think we'd escaped the stoopid threads for one year.

The experiment and career of Cassel isn't over but we're running out of time to make him into a tradeable commodity. This offseason would have been perfect but, thankfully, he hasn't had the snaps to up his trade value and those snaps he gets make him look interesting but not much more than that.

How many times in training camp did we read Cassell was...over throwing...under throwing...not looking very sharp. This is not a one time deal. He hasn't shown anything. Last year it was said he just needs some game time. This is Rohan Redux. Intangibles means not crapping your pants in the big show. This experiment is about over.

They cut their losses with a straight out release of Davey and Cassell is gone next off season.

I don't wish any bad on Cassell. It would have been a great story.

They didn't use a roster spot on Vinny because Gutierrez showed some promise. He was said to show some poise in training camp and preseason (intangibles anyone?).

How many times in training camp did we read Cassell was...over throwing...under throwing...not looking very sharp. This is not a one time deal. He hasn't shown anything. Last year it was said he just needs some game time. This is Rohan Redux. Intangibles means not crapping your pants in the big show. This experiment is about over.

They cut their losses with a straight out release of Davey and Cassell is gone next off season.

They didn't use a roster spot on Vinny because Gutierrez showed some promise. He was said to show some poise in training camp and preseason (intangibles anyone?).

You musn't watch much NFL football. There are starters all across the league who routinely crap their pants in the big show every week. And with a lot more playing time every day than Matt has ever seen...

I only read it here, from the same people who think we have the worst defense in the league. LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes