PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Lee Smith conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crump has and is
1935888403_4fd6ba0198.jpg

so he makes 1 season better...

Lee Smith will make 3-4 seasons better:)

Lee ain't old balls either... he will get better and better and imo immediately do Crumps blocking job close to mr. old balls from the start of this year:)

It's a no brainer who to keep

Last edited:
I feel BB will find a way of keeping him! Wether it be on the 53 or on IR :)

Didn't we have a 19 page heated discussion about this exact topic 1 1/2 mo. ago. (Re; lee smith and Alge Crumpler). Do we have to rehash the facts as to why the only option is to PUP Crumpler for insurance on the team because the team will not have room for 4 TE's, No way Smith makes it threw waivers to the PS, and BB will not waist a 5th rd. pick on the top blocking TE in the draft who also happens to have good soft hands. Just in case you have forgotten the facts and links to the facts , I will bump up the old thread and you can reread the disscusion.

Last edited:
For starters, you're wrong. Crumpler caught more clutch passes than he dropped. He dropped a couple, it happens, but he's primarily a blocking TE at this stage in his career, so that's to be expected.

Secondly, the person who you were quoting was right. Crumpler isn't a prolific WR anymore, but he sure as hell was in the past. Go look up his 2004-2006 stats sometime, he was one of the best pass-catching TEs in the NFL for several years. The man clearly knows how to catch a football.

As usual, you're just undebatably, objectively wrong.

Yup. :cool:

All we're saying is that Crumpler is a solid receiving option ~ near the LOS, mind you.

Nobody's "salivating" over Crumpler's receiving abilities.

...except in somebody's fevered imagination. :rolleyes:

conundrum:

1: a riddle whose answer is or involves a pun
2 a : a question or problem having only a conjectural answer
b : an intricate and difficult problem

You make this sound like a done deal that Smith will replace Crumpler. Maybe you shouldn't have used the word conundrum. BB will not name any rookie starter until he has had ample time to see him in full squad practices. I don't see this as a problem. It's the same thing that happens every year with rookies and vets. May the best man win!

Crump has and is

Lee ain't old balls either... he will get better and better and imo immediately do Crumps blocking job close to mr. old balls from the start of this year:)

the pats are going to have a rookie LT if they put a rookie TE out there to help him block Brady will have no balls because the outher teams defense will make him eat them lol look i was never a fan of the pats from 2 or 3 years ago with all the over the hill vets but this year different theres no rookie mini camp there maynot be much of a TC or preseason, the pats were this best team in the NFL last year they dont need a lot of new starters and they sure as hell dont need rookie 5th round picks helping to protect Bradys blind side

I believe that's why Alge will be around again this year....If Smith progresses well enough in TC, BB will find a spot for him on the roster because Crump isn't a spring chicken anymore.....and Smith COULD be the future TE on the blind side....

There is always a lot of speculation on highly regarded draft picks, but how many have we seen never make it onto a roster or, if they do, ride off into the sunset without ever amounting to anything...

conundrum:

1: a riddle whose answer is or involves a pun
2 a : a question or problem having only a conjectural answer
b : an intricate and difficult problem

You make this sound like a done deal that Smith will replace Crumpler. Maybe you shouldn't have used the word conundrum. BB will not name any rookie starter until he has had ample time to see him in full squad practices. I don't see this as a problem. It's the same thing that happens every year with rookies and vets. May the best man win!

you looked it up LMFAO.

2B is the answer sly guy.

edit- you do realize words have other meanings right? it is indeed a troubling issue. The difficult problem is to keep Mr. old balls or youth? I'll take youth and Longevity all the way

Last edited:
Crump has and is

You realize 360 lb. Marcus Cannon has an inch and a half better vertical leap than your "sure thing."

Maybe keep the all pro around until Smith proves himself?

Last edited:
you looked it up LMFAO.

2B is the answer sly guy.

edit- you do realize words have other meanings right? it is indeed a troubling issue. The difficult problem is to keep Mr. old balls or youth? I'll take youth and Longevity all the way

If it is an intricate and difficult problem then the answer shouldn't be so obvious. ;)

The funny thing about this whole discussion is we have Gronkowski as a No. 1 TE 4 inches taller and the same weight, more than ten years younger, and an excelent reciever. Both Gronk and Hernandez have out preformed Crump in their rookie years. Crumps total of 6 catches for 54 total yards is evidence he is no longer a threat at reciever. Smith has 4 inches on Crump, is rated as the top blocking TE in the draft with soft hands and a great upside to be Crumps successor. Crump will be 34 this year, is recovering from major shouder surgery, may never fully recover, is no longer a recieveing threat, and is basicly an extra lineman, who's salary is more than double Gronk's,Hernandez's,and Smith's combined. Not to mention criticle drops one in the last playoff game, not what you would expect or be paying a premiun for in an experienced vet. Over payed, underpreforming, replaced by Gronk and possibly Smith. Every player reaches his time to retire before becomeing a detrement or drain on the team. Troy Brown was a great player and better team influence and relized when it was his time to retire before becoming a drain on the team, or putting the team in a possition to make the hard cut. This year its Crumpler and Faulks turn. Crumpler, Faulk, and McGowin put on PUP gives the team greater options to make a better decision that will be more informed on week six.

Hernandez is our #3 wide receiver. Perhaps, we should be discussing whether we need a 3rd TE in a addition to Gronkowski and Crumpler.

Slater is USELESS let smith take his spot; he has a future at least. Slater is a WR scrub and since ST is a lesser deal he can be replaced. Kickoffs r crap now

Slater isn't useless. To say that ST is a lesser deal is pure ignorance on your part. And claiming that Kickoffs are crap now because they moved the kick-off mark to the 35 (where it was for 20 something years) is even more ignorance on your part. Slater does more than just kick-offs. He is in on all 6 special teams units. This may be the year that he gets cut, but it will be because of Dowling or Williams beating him out. Not because of Smith. OH.. and I'd put money that Slater would be signed within a couple of days if he was cut by the Pats.

This is the 2nd thread you started that basically said the same BS. That you think that Crump is a waste and should be cut. And you think that Rappaport's opinion means something.

Slater isn't useless. To say that ST is a lesser deal is pure ignorance on your part. And claiming that Kickoffs are crap now because they moved the kick-off mark to the 35 (where it was for 20 something years) is even more ignorance on your part. Slater does more than just kick-offs. He is in on all 6 special teams units. This may be the year that he gets cut, but it will be because of Dowling or Williams beating him out. Not because of Smith. OH.. and I'd put money that Slater would be signed within a couple of days if he was cut by the Pats.

This is the 2nd thread you started that basically said the same BS. That you think that Crump is a waste and should be cut. And you think that Rappaport's opinion means something.
You've got to understand the context DaBruinz. Slater is useless because he can be replaced with a younger and rookie special teams ace. Disregard recent production, scheme knowledge and the lock out and you'll get a clearer picture of the beginning point. :p

Last edited:
The funny thing about this whole discussion is we have Gronkowski as a No. 1 TE 4 inches taller and the same weight, more than ten years younger, and an excelent reciever. Both Gronk and Hernandez have out preformed Crump in their rookie years. Crumps total of 6 catches for 54 total yards is evidence he is no longer a threat at reciever. Smith has 4 inches on Crump, is rated as the top blocking TE in the draft with soft hands and a great upside to be Crumps successor. Crump will be 34 this year, is recovering from major shouder surgery, may never fully recover, is no longer a recieveing threat, and is basicly an extra lineman, who's salary is more than double Gronk's,Hernandez's,and Smith's combined. Not to mention criticle drops one in the last playoff game, not what you would expect or be paying a premiun for in an experienced vet. Over payed, underpreforming, replaced by Gronk and possibly Smith. Every player reaches his time to retire before becomeing a detrement or drain on the team. Troy Brown was a great player and better team influence and relized when it was his time to retire before becoming a drain on the team, or putting the team in a possition to make the hard cut. This year its Crumpler and Faulks turn. Crumpler, Faulk, and McGowin put on PUP gives the team greater options to make a better decision that will be more informed on week six.

Umm.. Not to rain on your parade, but Crumpler has shoulder surgery. Shalise Young, who broke the story, did not report whether it was "MAJOR" or not. In fact, it turns out that Crumpler played almost the entire season with the injury.. It was all the other media outlets playing "Pass the Message" that turned it from Shoulder surgery to Extensive/Major surgery.

As for Troy Brown "realizing that it was his time to retire," clearly you have forgotten about the 2006 season. The one where Troy was on the PUP and then game back in played in all of 1 game. Recorded a fumble on a punt return. And that was it.

McGowan isn't even part of the team right now. He's a UFA. So why talk about him?

You seem to have the delusion that roster spots are based on some preset formula of the number by position. Given that fact, I indicated that perhaps you might consider Hernandez a WR, since he often functions as such.

If you choose to consider that Price is higher on the wide receiver depth chart than Hernandez, you are certainly entitled to that opinion. But then, you probably have Slater as our #6 receiver.

My primary point was that Smith (given a reasonable camp) will likely be a better choice for the final 53-man roster than others that he will beat out (for example, Carter and Williams). Smith won't get cut because we cannot have four TE's on the roster. That would be deluded.

Hernandez is our #3 wide receiver. Perhaps, we should be discussing whether we need a 3rd TE in a addition to Gronkowski and Crumpler.

UM! the Pats deapth chart and roster list Hernandez as a TE no matter what delusion you have to the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to have the delusion that roster spots are based on some preset formula of the number by position. Given that fact, I indicated that perhaps you might consider Hernandez a WR, since he often functions as such.

If you choose to consider that Price is higher on the wide receiver depth chart than Hernandez, you are certainly entitled to that opinion. But then, you probably have Slater as our #6 receiver.

My primary point was that Smith (given a reasonable camp) will likely be a better choice for the final 53-man roster than others that he will beat out (for example, Carter and Williams). Smith won't get cut because we cannot have four TE's on the roster. That would be deluded.

UM! the Pats deapth chart and roster list Hernandez as a TE no matter what delusion you have to the opposite.
And Dallas Clark is listed as a Tight End to boot. That doesn't change the fact that Clark plays like a wide out does it.

Umm.. Not to rain on your parade, but Crumpler has shoulder surgery. Shalise Young, who broke the story, did not report whether it was "MAJOR" or not. In fact, it turns out that Crumpler played almost the entire season with the injury.. It was all the other media outlets playing "Pass the Message" that turned it from Shoulder surgery to Extensive/Major surgery.

As for Troy Brown "realizing that it was his time to retire," clearly you have forgotten about the 2006 season. The one where Troy was on the PUP and then game back in played in all of 1 game. Recorded a fumble on a punt return. And that was it.

McGowan isn't even part of the team right now. He's a UFA. So why talk about him?

Shalise reports that he had played injured much of the season and suffered a "SIGNIFICANT" injury and does not state when. Needless to say a SIGNIFICANT injury to the shoulder of a 34 year old "BLOCKING TE" is a SIGNIFICANT problem. Interpretation: played with a worn rotator cup, and suffered a tear, had surgery to clean it up to reduce pain,worn cartaledge is not repairable.

Shalise reports that he had played injured much of the season and suffered a "SIGNIFICANT" injury and does not state when. Needless to say a SIGNIFICANT injury to the shoulder of a 34 year old "BLOCKING TE" is a SIGNIFICANT problem. Interpretation: played with a worn rotator cup, and suffered a tear, had surgery to clean it up to reduce pain,worn cartaledge is not repairable.
Correct me if I am wrong but if Crumpler played with a bum shoulder and produced the brilliant sort of season that he did then it augurs well for the Patriots given a surgically repaired shoulder means he can produce at an even higher level.

OK..I'm a little confused here..there is no such thing as a rotator "cup"...so I'm going to assume you mean rotator CUFF.

I also have no idea what you mean by cleaning up "cartaledge".What is cartaledge, a town outside Cartagena? Now if you mean cartilage, I think you may be ignorant of what really goes on when you have shoulder surgery of this kind.At surgery, the torn cuff is sewn back to itself, and reattached to the bony insertion on the lateral border of the humerus. I have had the surgery

Anyway, perhaps I'm totally mistaken about what you meant..if I am I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back