PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Lee Smith conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Lockerroom Leader BS is over-hyped. Give me the guy who can do the same things on the field and for many more years over the guy who will be 1 and done.

Smith was a late 5th round pick. He's done absolutely nothing in the NFL. You might want to stop talking about the guy as if he's the product of a scientific merger of DNA from Shannon Sharpe and Tony Gonzalez until he at least throws a block against NFL talent.

That Lockerroom Leader BS is over-hyped. Give me the guy who can do the same things on the field and for many more years over the guy who will be 1 and done.
That's an embarrassing opinion to have and I feel sorry for you.

As Deus Irae has mentioned Crumpler is a proven NFL performer. I'll take that before chancing my hand on an unknown commodity coming in off a lockout.

Crumpler performed in 2010. I'll wager he'll perform in 2011 and teach our TE's along the way. Discount that at your own peril.

Last edited:
not at all. Crumpler is USELESS 2-3 years from now (he will be GONE in 1), whereas somebody like Smith solves the same blocking TE situation and can live out his cheap contract that is greater than 1 year.

I'd say much depends on who Mallett prefers, as I expect he'll unthrone Brady long before Belichick has to decide between Crumpler and Smith.

;)

That's an embarrassing opinion to have and I feel sorry for you.

As Deus Irae has mentioned Crumpler is a proven NFL performer. I'll take that before chancing my hand on an unknown commodity coming in off a lockout.

Crumpler performed in 2010. I'll wager he'll perform in 2011 and teach our TE's along the way. Discount that at your own peril.

Crump is LEGIT no question... I am looking out for the FUTURE beyond this 1 year. It's chess not checkers. I want the guy that will be here for more than 3 years. We will not win a SB next year... We are almost there; I'd just hate to see a foolish move be made and that is Smith getting let go for old balls.:eek:

Crump is LEGIT no question... I am looking out for the FUTURE beyond this 1 year. It's chess not checkers. I want the guy that will be here for more than 3 years. We will not win a SB next year... We are almost there; I'd just hate to see a foolish move be made and that is Smith getting let go for old balls.:eek:
Looking to the future is fine.. that's why succession planning exists. You don't throw something that's valuable out with the trash today because it won't serve your purpose tomorrow.

Last edited:

The Patriots went 14-2 last year, so why would you rule out a SB win this season? I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, I'm just curious as to the logic.

Last edited:
Last season, the average play had 1.05 RBs, 2.14 WRs, 1.74 TE, and .03 eligible OL. It makes a lot of sense to ditch the 5th RB for a 4th TE, especially since Smith presumably has special teams blocking value.
In this case, I don't think BB is looking for a certain number or RBs and a certain number of TEs, although we as fans tend to fill out the 53-man roster that way. I know I do, and find myself justifying a fourth TE on my 53-man roster projection by rationalizing that Hernandez will probably split wide and therefore be more of a WR. For some reason I can rationalize 6 WRs easier than 4 TEs. BB, though, I think will go with the best players, and let the numbers at each position work themselves out. One year he started with 3 CBS, I recall.

Last edited:
The Patriots went 14-2 last year, so why would you rule out a SB win this season? I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, I'm just curious as to the logic.

defensively we are inconsistent w/ many BLAH moments. we can't beat 3rd down conversions. Ultimately we are 2 years away from dominating, but our D needs to get deeper and better overall. We are almost there:)

defensively we are inconsistent w/ many BLAH moments. we can't beat 3rd down conversions. Ultimately we are 2 years away from dominating, but our D needs to get deeper and better overall. We are almost there:)

Other than the 2007 Patriots, what teams in the NFL have not been 'inconsistent' since the 2004 Patriots?

Last edited:
If you get to the point where you have to cut lee smith just IR him with a bs injury. Crump is still nice to have for another year. I bet he can teach lee plenty.

Alge Crumpler was a 4 time pro bowler and 1 time all pro as a receiver so we know he can catch and is now one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL who helped Chris Johnson become a 2000 yerd RB and also helped BJGE a UDFA become the pats first 1000 yerd RB in 6 years and only the 14th in there history.

Lee Smith is a rookie who not known to be a receiver and has not even got into TC yet so we dont know if he can block NFL talent, bottom line is if BB thinks the kid is good a nuff he will find a spot for him but for now i will put my money on Crumpler,

Alge Crumpler was a 4 time pro bowler and 1 time all pro as a receiver so we know he can catch and is now one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL who helped Chris Johnson become a 2000 yerd RB and also helped BJGE a UDFA become the pats first 1000 yerd RB in 6 years and only the 14th in there history.

Lee Smith is a rookie who not known to be a receiver and has not even got into TC yet so we dont know if he can block NFL talent, bottom line is if BB thinks the kid is good a nuff he will find a spot for him but for now i will put my money on Crumpler,

FWIW. . . .

Lee Smith had 38 catches in 2010 for 358 yards and 3 TDs. So he's at least a passable possession receiver.

As far as his blocking goes, yes, he's unproven, but there were a number of analysts who felt that if he could gain 20-30 pounds he could be an effective NFL tackle.

IF and that's a big IF, Smith actually IS what the Pats hope he can be, then there is no reason for him NOT to be on the roster....with the other 3 so called TEs. Not only does he have special teams value, he can also get snaps replacing Dan Connolly as a GL FB.

Someone made an excellent point in mentioning that Hernandez is more hybrid WR than TE in the Pats offense as it is. Several teams have carried 4 TEs, especially when the 4th guy plays special teams.

Like a lot of positions in the NFL these days, position designations have less value than they used to. Gronk and Dallas Clark are both TEs, but their respective responsibilities to their respective offenses couldn't be more different.

IF the kid can play he will be on the 53 man roster, and if Crumpler hasn't suddenly lost it, he will be there too. 4 TEs are doable, especially if we continue not to carry a FB. (last season the Jets carried 3 TEs and TWO FBs)

If he proves he's one of the best 53 players at the club - he'll be on the roster. His position means virtually nothing. BB has said previously the strongest roster is the one with the best players on it.

Last season, the average play had 1.05 RBs, 2.14 WRs, 1.74 TE, and .03 eligible OL. It makes a lot of sense to ditch the 5th RB for a 4th TE, especially since Smith presumably has special teams blocking value.

Im glad I dont have to make that decision if it comes to fruition.

Woody - Played great in Faulks role. Brings an "I can play in this league" attitude. I doubt Woody will show up out of shape when this lockout is over. Signed a 2 year deal, but the cap hit would be minimal.

Faulk - Leadership and team first player to the core. A guy you need in the locker room like Crumpler with a young team. Made the roster last year, so obviously still has it. Wouldnt break the bank account.

BJGE - The Pats developed him. If he signs his tender BJGE would be a bargain assuming he can duplicate 2010.

Vereen and Ridley - Total opposites if draft reports are true. Ridley more of a goaline 3rd and 1 RB/FB and Vereen a quick pass catching Halfback.

Crumpler stays as long as his production is up. Why people discount veteran locker room presence and basic coaching for rookies/junior players in development is mind boggling.

People just get enamoured with a new toy. That and i think people forget that we have one of the youngest teams in the NFL and Crumpler was a Captain last year and one of the key reasons GRONK and Hernandez developed so quickly.

In my opinion he's not going anywhere, people have just forgotten the impact he had last year.... second of all, no one knows how good Smith is, so until we find out let's not go and crown him just yet.

If you get to the point where you have to cut lee smith just IR him with a bs injury. Crump is still nice to have for another year. I bet he can teach lee plenty.

exactly... if they want to keep him, they'll find a way

It sure would be nice if the new CBA allowed a roster of 54 or 55....

Crunch time wouldn't be so painful for us fans ;)

LMFAO Crump can catch?:rofl:

what happens NEXT YEAR?

It's way too early to be worried about carrying 4 TEs or not. We don't know whether the league is going to let the teams carry more players. And, as far as carrying 3 QBs, I have a sneaking suspicion that if Mallett or Hoyer perform well in preseason, that somebody is going to make an offer for one or the other or both. There's some sick looking teams out there.

If we can reach into the UDFA pool and find a starting caliber Guard or two and a backup G/T, somebody may make us an offer for Mankins or even a Mankins/Kaczur combination. For all we know, Kaczur could move to Guard and be an All-Pro.

As has been discussed in this forum before, moving Meriweather before his big contract comes up. If you look at a team like Minnesota that's dying for Safety help and an OLB. IMHO I think if you offered those 2 for a 2nd round pick it would be a done deal.

So, like I said, there's a million different things that can happen between now and the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News