PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Lee Smith conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crumpler has more value to the Pats now than Smith does...Mentoring, Leadership and Blocking are Alge's assignments at this stage of his career.......It's not like he doesn't know how, or can't, catch passes if needed....

Pats don't NEED him to catch 500-600yds of passes a year...they already have 2 young TE's that can do that....

Balancing the present and the future can be tough sometimes, but BB has done it better than most coaches recently.....Pats are always contenders and near the top.....they were retooled on the fly over the past couple years without losing much of a beat...

SolderKing sounds like the CEO who is ready to let go of all his senior engineers and hand the reigns of the Engineering Department over to the kids just graduating from college....:eek:

Last season, the average play had 1.05 RBs, 2.14 WRs, 1.74 TE, and .03 eligible OL. ...........

That 1.0 TE was pretty good but the 0.74 TE succked. Most of the time it was like he wasn't even all there.

BTW If it hasnt been mentioned, Hernandez is more of a WR than a TE.

Last edited:
all indications have LIGHT out. We should not resign him. The best way to get experience is to be thrown right into hell. Baptism under FIRE baby:):):)

Solder is it

-----------

where will Crump be in 2-3 years??? A PATRIOT??? I doubt it. He will command too much $$$[/COLOR]

Honestly, dude, your ignorance is astonishing.

Evidently, you're the only dude in the GALAXY who's unaware that Crumpler was a Top Shelf Receiver for several years. :rolleyes:

IGORANCE??? lmao!!! He dropped sooo many clutch passes I know what I saw through out the year.

you want the last instance? Remember vs. the JESTERS in AFCDR we marched right down the field. TFB THREW a perfect pass right at CRUMP and he dropped it on third down and we had to settle for 3 pts.... I recall 4-5 dropped TD passes or for the 1st down conversion.

you need to reevaluate that last post and try again:cool:

Last edited:
any chance we could groom smith as a back up T or G??? at 6'6 266 I think his size is very advantageous for such a role:)

all indications have LIGHT out. We should not resign him. The best way to get experience is to be thrown right into hell. Baptism under FIRE baby:):):)

Solder is it

-----------

where will Crump be in 2-3 years??? A PATRIOT??? I doubt it. He will command too much $$$[/COLOR]

Two things:

1.) The best way for a person to get experience varies with the person. For some, it's jumping right in. For others, it's taking a slower approach.

2.) What's best for the individual player is not always what's best for the team.

Also, in 3 years, I expect that Crumpler will be retired. However, seemingly unlike yourself, I'm tired of watching this team punt current opportunity after current opportunity in favor of the future.

Last edited:
Two things:

1.) The best way for a person to get experience varies with the person. For some, it's jumping right in. For others, it's taking a slower approach.

2.) What's best for the individual player is not always what's best for the team.

Also, in 3 years, I expect that Crumpler will be retired. However, seemingly unlike yourself, I'm tired of watching this team punt current opportunity after current opportunity in favor of the future.

valid point. I just believe in the totality approach (let's see what the kid can do and how he can improve week in and week out):)

look at our inexperienced D... they surely got better as the season went on last year.

In closing
who knows I hope Lee Smith can be groomed to be a JAG tackle in 2011/2012... Crump is gone in 1 year. I'll take his leadership for 1 more year IF Smith can crack the roster. NFL proven... no rookie is... having the accolade of being the BEST college BLOCKING TE means a gr8 deal imo... i'd hate to see Crumps Old balls kill something gr8 for 3-4 years,

YOUTH/affordability is more important than a 1 year player. You guys salivate over Crumps ability to catch. Much like Randy Moss the old legacy of the player means far too much in the present than the Actuality of the player NOW.:eek:

Last edited:
You guys salivate over Crumps ability to catch

HUH ???????? :confused:

Seems to me Crump is a Leader,Mentor and BLOCKING TE......not sure who is salivating over his catching abilities...altho he did score a couple TD's last season I believe...icing on the cake is what that is :rocker:

HUH ???????? :confused:

Seems to me Crump is a Leader,Mentor and BLOCKING TE......not sure who is salivating over his catching abilities...altho he did score a couple TD's last season I believe...icing on the cake is what that is :rocker:

somebody brought up Crumps LEGACY as he once WAS a top notch receiving TE not sure who blue. Scroll back and see my last post

this guy

----

Originally Posted by Off The Grid View Post

Evidently, you're the only dude in the GALAXY who's unaware that Crumpler was a Top Shelf Receiver for several years.

Last edited:
valid point. I just believe in the totality approach (let's see what the kid can do and how he can improve week in and week out):)

You only do that if it's the best for the team. In a year with a very short preseason/training camp, I think a lot of people are questioning the kid's ability to be ready from the start. I certainly question it.

look at our inexperienced D... they surely got better as the season went on last year.

Except they really didn't improve to the degree that many seem to be claiming. After the first 3 games of the season, the improvement wasn't really there on any great level. There was some, as happens with most teams every year, but the improvement certainly aided by the schedule and fortune, as games against Green Bay (backup QB and all) and the Jets served to remind us.

In closing
who knows I hope Lee Smith can be groomed to be a JAG tackle in 2011/2012... Crump is gone in 1 year. I'll take his leadership for 1 more year IF Smith can crack the roster. NFL proven... no rookie is... having the accolade of being the BEST college BLOCKING TE means a gr8 deal imo... i'd hate to see Crumps Old balls kill something gr8 for 3-4 years,

Smith will be lucky to make the team. That's not a knock on him, that's just a numbers issue. The best thing that can happen to a guy like Smith would be the CBA allowing for expanded rosters for part/all of 2011 due to the latenesss of things.

YOUTH/affordability is more important than a 1 year player. You guys salivate over Crumps ability to catch. Much like Randy Moss the old legacy of the player means far too much in the present than the Actuality of the present player.:eek:

Who's salivating over Crumpler's ability to catch? He's aged noticeably out there, and he is very slow, making it difficult for him to get open. As a receiver, he's no longer NFL worthy. He's there for the blocking and leadership, and I doubt Smith is currently better than Crumpler at either of those.

Now, if there's been a noticeable drop in Crumpler's speed from last year to this year, I could see his spot being in danger. Outside of that, though, Smith will be the #4 TE, and will be battling against guys like the #5RB for a spot on the roster.

Last edited:
Smith probably wouldn't make it to the PS so if Pats REALLY like him, but the numbers don't work in his favor....I see an IR tag coming his way....:D

somebody brought up Crumps LEGACY as he once WAS a top notch receiving TE not sure who blue. Scroll back and see my last post

this guy

----

Originally Posted by Off The Grid View Post

Evidently, you're the only dude in the GALAXY who's unaware that Crumpler was a Top Shelf Receiver for several years.
Idk how long you've been watching football or maybe you never paid attention to the falcons but for years crump was the only player who could catch on that team for vick. He's still a decent short distance target just is very slow now.

Slater is USELESS let smith take his spot; he has a future at least. Slater is a WR scrub and since ST is a lesser deal he can be replaced. Kickoffs r crap now

Idk how long you've been watching football or maybe you never paid attention to the falcons but for years crump was the only player who could catch on that team for vick. He's still a decent short distance target just is very slow now.

AND HE IS OLD the guy is NOT in the plans for the FUTURE:cool:

Smith probably wouldn't make it to the PS so if Pats REALLY like him, but the numbers don't work in his favor....I see an IR tag coming his way....:D

I hope so man:) let us go break his leg so the IR can look legit:p

AND HE IS OLD the guy is NOT in the plans for the FUTURE:cool:

It's about this season tho. If lee smith is the better player today crump will be cut. If not lee is probably IR'D that is if he has a good camp and all.

I would say Slater is definitely on the bubble as his main asset is just a ST player.....

With the rookies that fans are hoping make the final 53 ( Solder,Vereen,Ridley,Dowling,Cannon,Smith,Mallett) ...
the roster has to be culled...I'm sure there will be some surprise cuts/trades/signings once this CBA gets done.....

It's anyone's guess at this stage who will be gone come opening game of 2011.

IGORANCE??? lmao!!! He dropped sooo many clutch passes I know what I saw through out the year.

you want the last instance? Remember vs. the JESTERS in AFCDR we marched right down the field. TFB THREW a perfect pass right at CRUMP and he dropped it on third down and we had to settle for 3 pts.... I recall 4-5 dropped TD passes or for the 1st down conversion.

you need to reevaluate that last post and try again:cool:

For starters, you're wrong. Crumpler caught more clutch passes than he dropped. He dropped a couple, it happens, but he's primarily a blocking TE at this stage in his career, so that's to be expected.

Secondly, the person who you were quoting was right. Crumpler isn't a prolific receiver anymore, but he sure as hell was in the past. Go look up his 2004-2006 stats sometime, he was one of the best pass-catching TEs in the NFL for several years. The man clearly knows how to catch a football. As usual, you're just undebatably, objectively wrong.

Last edited:

An inexperienced D means the opposing team scores a lot, an inexperienced O-line means our HoF and potential GOAT QB gets flattened like a pancake, I fail to see how that helps the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes