PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Lee Smith conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK..I'm a little confused here..there is no such thing as a rotator "cup"...so I'm going to assume you mean rotator CUFF.

I also have no idea what you mean by cleaning up "cartaledge".What is cartaledge, a town outside Cartagena? Now if you mean cartilage, I think you may be ignorant of what really goes on when you have shoulder surgery of this kind.At surgery, the torn cuff is sewn back to itself, and reattached to the bony insertion on the lateral border of the humerus. I have had the surgery

Anyway, perhaps I'm totally mistaken about what you meant..if I am I apologize.

My rotator injury was related to injury damaged and worn cartilage in the joint which was the reason for the previous pain and locking. Surgery was not required to repair my cuff but to clean out and resurface the joint.The joint instability puts extra strain on the rotator cuff, and will not improve with out replacement.(Which I have not opted for)

My rotator injury was related to injury damaged and worn cartilage in the joint which was the reason for the previous pain and locking. Surgery was not required to repair my cuff but to clean out and resurface the joint.The joint instability puts extra strain on the rotator cuff, and will not improve with out replacement.(Which I have not opted for)
Not going to argue medicine as I'm not a doctor, but I did once stay at a Holiday Inn, so permit me one sentence: The cuff is a set of tendons, so if he did tear the cuff, that's a tendon repair.

Also don't know about Cartagena, but I did see more than a few running plays where Crumpler and his damaged shoulder blocked opposing DL southward of Tarifa. He was the best blocking TE on the team and possibly the best in the NFL, strongly contributing to the outstanding run performance of the line. With Gronk becoming a top blocker as well, I look forward to both of them on the line once again. They will not miss their blocks, and they will get to the second level.

How could anyone be so confident of Smith?

And despite Smith's reportedly soft hands and 38 college catches, his sluggishness makes him easy to cover and unlike Crumpler, he can't fall back on years of experience as a top receiving NFL TE to get open, box out defenders, and haul in a catch. I would hardly judge a pro like Crumpler based on a drop, even a crucial drop. He's made so many crucial catches.

I would never keep Smith over Crumpler in 2011.

But if Belichick decides to do so, then guess who's wrong! ;)

Shalise reports that he had played injured much of the season and suffered a "SIGNIFICANT" injury and does not state when. Needless to say a SIGNIFICANT injury to the shoulder of a 34 year old "BLOCKING TE" is a SIGNIFICANT problem. Interpretation: played with a worn rotator cup, and suffered a tear, had surgery to clean it up to reduce pain,worn cartaledge is not repairable.

Having a "significant" injury (one that he played through) is a lot different than having "MAJOR SHOULDER SURGERY". What you said and what Shalise said are two different things.

And, while Shalise's article doesn't say when, Crumpler's agent said that Crumpler played most of the season with the injury. Don't know what games you watched, but I saw a TE who dominated in the blocking game all year long.

And if you read any of the reports since, Crumpler should be ready for TC.

I understand that this is the slowest part of the football year, exacerbated by the repercussion of the lockout - but not just one, but two Lee Smith vs. Alge Crumpler threads resulting in close to 300 comments? Seriously? WTF!

I understand that this is the slowest part of the football year, exacerbated by the repercussion of the lockout - but not just one, but two Lee Smith vs. Alge Crumpler threads resulting in close to 300 comments? Seriously? WTF!

Agreed! Can one of them be locked! Or at least merge them!

Must be a hot topic....to get rehashed like that....:D

Is there room for 4 TE's on the roster? Hernandez COULD be given the TE/WR/Hback hybrid designation.....and BB says he wants the BEST 53 players on his roster..never mentioned the best (pick a #) TE's on the roster.

( I don't think you'd see a roster of Brady and 24 elite RB's however) ;)

Love for the very marginally athletic Smith to fill the marginal role of blocking tight end, but given his abilities and the track record of 5th round tight ends, I'll go with the all pro until he proves it's time to call it a career.

It's very much up to Smith to prove he's NFL caliber in anyway and it's hilarious to assume he can't possibly be moved onto the practice squad, whoever said that.

When a 6'9" rookie OT can run as fast a 40 as you, and he and the 360 lb. OG can both out jump you by a good margin, I think you'll pass through waivers safely.:bricks:

If it is an intricate and difficult problem then the answer shouldn't be so obvious. ;)

I favor youth a lot of you favor old balls I get it:eek: That is the problem youth vs. old balls

..its early in the match, fight fans but the Aussie Assassin has landed some punishing body blows and has the young turk, King in the corner gasping for air...he'll have to punch his way out or this will be an early round TKO....*ding*...and now, a word from our sponsor....

it's hilarious to assume he can't possibly be moved onto the practice squad, whoever said that
It's more hilarious to think that a player is sure to be albe to be moved to the practice squad. Every year people say this and every year players get claimed off waivers. The simple fact is that the Pats are deep, and the 54th and 55th players on the roster are better than several team's 52nd and 53rd. Cripes, we couldn't even get a guy like Kyle Eckel through waivers.

This doesn't mean you have to keep the guy. It just means you can cannot plan on putting a guy on the practice squad. You keep him or cut him. If you are okay with losing him, cut him. Maybe the clears, maybe he doesn't, but you have to accept that he will be gone. If you think you want the guy next year, keep him or put him or IR if he gets hurt at all.

So the question to consider isn't should we keep him or put him on the practice squad, it is do we keep him or cut him.

Last edited:
It's more hilarious to think that a player is sure to be albe to be moved to the practice squad. Every year people say this and every year players get claimed off waivers. The simple fact is that the Pats are deep, and the 54th and 55th players on the roster are better than several team's 52nd and 53rd. Cripes, we couldn't even get a guy like Kyle Eckel through waivers.

This doesn't mean you have to keep the guy. It just means you can cannot plan on putting a guy on the practice squad. You keep him or cut him. If you are okay with losing him, cut him. Maybe the clears, maybe he doesn't, but you have to accept that he will be gone. If you think you want the guy next year, keep him or put him or IR if he gets hurt at all.

So the question to consider isn't should we keep him or put him on the practice squad, it is do we keep him or cut him.

You draft him because you plan to use him. Nevertheless, players all the way from the first through fifth round are cut and not picked up by teams every year, then one guy we want is claimed and that's all people remember.

I hope he makes it as a marginal tight end for the Pats, but keeping him because there's a possibility another team might claim him is silly.

Yes, somebody claimed Larsen. They also failed to claim higher draft picks on the Pats. There's a reason 158 players were picked before Smith, and yes, I know Brady was picked in the 6th round.

EDIT: Guess I agreed with you (reread last couple PPs)

Last edited:
someone brought up measurables like vertical jump etc... Tests and early conclusions mean hot diddly ****. If you watched the Brady 6 you realize measurables mean nothing and it comes down to the HEART and how badly a person wants it. IDC if he ran a 40 slow Brady scored below average in many of his tests. Losing that T pissed me off.

someone brought up measurables like vertical jump etc... Tests and early conclusions mean hot diddly ****. If you watched the Brady 6 you realize measurables mean nothing and it comes down to the HEART and how badly a person wants it. IDC if he ran a 40 slow Brady scored below average in many of his tests. Losing that T pissed me off.

I don't think we're using Brady as a pass receiver or upfield blocker.:rolleyes:

Running and jumping, exploding kind of comes down to how fast you can put one foot in front of the other too. Admittedly the multiple all pro has gained weight and lost speed, but that's from the base of an all pro, not a marginal small college player who's never played a down in the NFL.

I hope Smith has the smarts and character to fill a limited role on the team. He had better, because h doesn't have a lot of upside.

Last edited:
I hope Smith has the smarts and character to fill a limited role on the team. He had better, because he doesn't have a lot of upside.

Why don't you think that Smith has any upside, RayClay?

I suppose it depends on what your definition of 'upside' is, but if he is anywhere close to being as good of a blocker as advertised, he can do just fine here. He can learn from Crumpler is the next year, utilize his good blocking skills and size, and even catch a few possession passes/red zone balls every now and then.

I think we're agreeing on some level, as we both feel that he's not about to take over the TE1 or TE2 spots (if that's what you mean by upside 'here' specifically), but we all know what a good blocking TE brings to this particular offense.

and we all know how much BB values TE's in his offense.....just look at how many he's drafted/signed since coming to New England.....

I think you'll (smith) pass through waivers safely.:bricks:

I think that just about any guy that Bill Belichick drafts and targets will get a little bit more of a closer look by many of the front offices around the league when it comes to our practice squad.

His reputation speaks for itself, and as another poster already pointed out, in many cases the Patriots' 54, 55, and 56 guys are often better than a lot of teams 52 and 53.

That, and the fact that the guy already comes with a pretty good label as far as what he can do in the blocking game. (Did I hear that he has been a LS before too, or am I thinking of someone else?)

I wouldn't think he's anywhere close to a lock in making the PS, if it comes down to it. I also think that Belichick would honestly consider carrying 4 TE's for this year, if need be, as many are assuming that this will be Crumpler's last year here + the role of A.Hernandez is basically a hybrid anyway.

Why don't you think that Smith has any upside, RayClay?

I suppose it depends on what your definition of 'upside' is, but if he is anywhere close to being as good of a blocker as advertised, he can do just fine here. He can learn from Crumpler is the next year, utilize his good blocking skills and size, and even catch a few possession passes/red zone balls every now and then.

I think we're agreeing on some level, as we both feel that he's not about to take over the TE1 or TE2 spots (if that's what you mean by upside 'here' specifically), but we all know what a good blocking TE brings to this particular offense.

He's not very athletic. If he's a real good blocker and smart, he will fill a role on the team.

I'm not a big one on potential either, but upside has a certain definition and it means the ability to do more than a limited role.

He has the athleticism of a lineman at 50 pounds less, so i don't see him as an explosive special teamer.

I don't mean to bust on the guy, I'm happy to have a hard working role player, rather than a big headed athlete who doesn't deliver, but upside has a certain meaning. Read the scouting reports and watch videos.

I hope he works out, Crumpler might be done already. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of dumping one of the best tight ends in the game who's transitioned to a blocker for the totally unknown transition to the NFL of a limited 5th round pick.

I think that just about any guy that Bill Belichick drafts and targets will get a little bit more of a closer look by many of the front offices around the league when it comes to our practice squad.

His reputation speaks for itself, and as another poster already pointed out, in many cases the Patriots' 54, 55, and 56 guys are often better than a lot of teams 52 and 53.

That, and the fact that the guy already comes with a pretty good label as far as what he can do in the blocking game. (Did I hear that he has been a LS before too, or am I thinking of someone else?)

I wouldn't think he's anywhere close to a lock in making the PS, if it comes down to it. I also think that Belichick would honestly consider carrying 4 TE's for this year, if need be, as many are assuming that this will be Crumpler's last year here + the role of A.Hernandez is basically a hybrid anyway.

No one's a lock to make the squad, but he'll make the team if he has the stuff, that's all he should worry bout.

and we all know how much BB values TE's in his offense.....just look at how many he's drafted/signed since coming to New England.....

Look how many of those have stuck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back