PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The last TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanx for the cogent point, Kol

I understand the Buffalo argument but you people bringing up last week don't really think the Pats could manage the end of a game as bad as Buffalo did last week, do you?

I mean, you don't really think BB chose to run the ball up the gut with a minute left simply for that reason, do you? That would be showing a severe lack of confidence in his defense and special teams and I don't think that's the case at all.

Again, I don't have a problem with what they did. Just kind of playing devils advocate here.

I saw it as proper game management. At 14 points up with 2 minutes to go, Dallas is a touchdown, an onside kick, and a touchdown away from taking the victory away. As improbable as that outcome may be, if Dallas does not let the clock run down by calling a timeout, you do not hand the ball back to Dallas at any point on the field. Dallas proved that against Buffalo less than a week ago.

NE did not put in its power package on the field (Seau wanted to go out there and block and got called back) and ran straight up the gut with the lowest running back on the depth chart. Again, the chances of NE melting down like Buffalo are slim to none, but I can see plenty of critics screaming bloody murder if the unthinkable happens. Dallas can take the credit for the last touchdown by indicating it wanted to try its luck by calling a time out.
Dude, there were 19 seconds left when he scored. Take the knee.

Plus, "up the gut" ain't quite right either

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playb...ayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2007&week=REG6

IIRC, clock does not stop after an unsuccessful 4th down?? Either way, 98 yards, onsides, and another TD in 19 seconds. Even at breakway speed, TO takes 11-12 seconds to get from one end to the other. Stop with the rationalization. Coulda taken a knee. But oh well. I don't think this will make headlines tomorrow.

This is what I think of all the coaches & player that taking shots at us is going to get....Dugney you turn is coming.....Ward we will be there...Mcnabb you are going eat your word...Eveybody elst that I miss...It was great to see the kid from navy get his...

This is what I think of all the coaches & player that taking shots at us is going to get....Dugney you turn is coming.....Ward we will be there...Mcnabb you are going eat your word...Eveybody elst that I miss...It was great to see the kid from navy get his...

LMAO! Hey, its kind of like in Braveheart, when the Scottish (king?) is at the table talking about William Wallace coming for revenge.

With all of this debate about running up the score tonight, there are two games left on the schedule that I see as obvious "run up the score" games.

Indy in November and the Jets in December.

Indy will no doubt turn into a shootout but I honestly believe BB built this offense in the offseason with the intention that they could throw up more points than the Colts. There will be no taking the foot off the gas when they meet.

As for the Jets, well Eric Mangini has it coming. I don't think too many on this board will disagree there.

As for everyone else, it will just be business as usual.

Frankie unzips his fly and pee pee's on He Hate Me's pin head

never................
Sure they have, and if they haven't, what class that would have shown. Again, you think te boys rush out on to the field to try and score?? WTF, they probably just let the clock run, doofusses!

The Patrioits beat Dallas IN Dallas today...in related news, this FACT seems to have driven He Ban Me certifiably insane

Sure they have, and if they haven't, what class that would have shown. Again, you think te boys rush out on to the field to try and score?? WTF, they probably just let the clock run, doofusses!

Sometimes the lion deserves the lion's share...

What class it would have shown for many coaches and players around the league to keep their mouths shut concerning the Patriots' own problems and down times...of course, hardly anyone did, did they?

You could easily take a knee, teams have done it. Being up more than 1 TD with 20 seconds allows you to do that if you choose to do so.

I've never seen a team take a knee on 4th down. They usually take a knee to run out the clock. When they know they can't run out the clock, they run it up the middle. They owuld have run out the clock by taking a knee if Wade hadn't called timeout.

You actually want the Patriots to come back out on the field against the Dallas offense so that the Pats D can risk injury?

I've never seen a team take a knee on 4th down. They usually take a knee to run out the clock. When they know they can't run out the clock, they run it up the middle. They owuld have run out the clock by taking a knee if Wade hadn't called timeout.

You actually want the Patriots to come back out on the field against the Dallas offense so that the Pats D can risk injury?

Agreed about the Cowboy timeout. They stopped the clock. Why? To be sporting? Because they didn't want it to go bad? Or because they wanted to look like they were going down fighting? I say it's the latter...and they would have taken a shot downfield if they had had the ball back, for pride's sake. Otherwise, they would have let the clock run down on its own after the 2 minute mark.

What would the mean and angry 70s teams have done?

couple of points on the last play...

First, when Eckel got the ball to the 1 did anybody else see the great shot of Seau putting on his helmet and getting ready to sprint out to be part of the goal line offense? He was called back, took the helmet off and had a grin on his face. If they wanted to score at any cost Seau and the other regulars on the jumbo offensive set would have been out there.

Second, BB didn't take a knee because he wanted to try and get Eckel the TD.

Third, BB didn't take a knee because he wanted to stick it to that doofus Wade Phillips for his remarks to Peter King.

LOL. NINETEEN SECONDS TO PLAY.

98 yards to go.

Even a perfect pass, to a streaking TO, takes 11-12 seconds.

If NE takes a knee, no way do the Cowboys even run a play. You're dreaming!!

And, I would be willing to bet that a team at some point somewhere, a team took a knee under similar circumstances.

98 yards to go.

And, I would be willing to bet that a team at some point somewhere, a team took a knee under similar circumstances.

Colts never have and never will. Shoot they'd probably have peyton throwing in that situation :rolleyes:

Kneeling on fourth down is stupid, whether it's been done before or not doesn't matter. Choosing to KICK in OT after winning the coin toss has been done before too, doesn't mean it should be done.

98 yards to go.

We ran a practice squad RB 4 times up the gut. If Dallas can't stop it, that's their problem. Normally, I'd say "who cares", as I don't think its really a big deal either way.

However, the fact that it pisses "He Ban Me" off so much, gives my great joy and has me leaning much more towards the "it was the right call" camp. After all the sh!t we've had to put up with all year, I have no problem with it.

Last edited:
He Ban Me is annoying as hell, but it's funny to watch him post. He is so obviously fearing the Pats. :D

We ran a practice squad RB 4 times up the gut. If Dallas can't stop it, that's their problem. Normally, I'd say "who cares", as I don't think its really a big deal either way.

However, the fact that it pisses "He Ban Me" off so much, gives my great joy and has me leaning much more towards the "it was the right call" camp. After all the sh!t we've had to put up with all year, I have no problem with it.
Off RT, LT, and RT is "up the gut"??

Look, it was 19 seconds, 2 yard line, no TO's for Dallas, up by two TD's. It was unnecessary. But who cares, I just like to see how vehemently you guys like to argue your point. You'd think your team never did any wrong. ****, you guys were pissed we went for 2 in 2005. AND I KNOW there was WAY MORE TIME than 19 seconds left in that game.

Off RT, LT, and RT is "up the gut"??

Look, it was 19 seconds, 2 yard line, no TO's for Dallas, up by two TD's. It was unnecessary. But who cares, I just like to see how vehemently you guys like to argue your point. You'd think your team never did any wrong. ****, you guys were pissed we went for 2 in 2005. AND I KNOW there was WAY MORE TIME than 19 seconds left in that game.
I'm so pleased the Patriots scored on their last offensive possession since it obviously bothers you to no end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes