PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The ineligible package...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That shows just the first

First play is a pass to Hooman, lined up as Left tackle /TE last on the last LOS. Ravens are in zone but Pats hit the seam in the coverage. This is IDENTICAL formation to the penalty play which happened 3 minutes later in real time.
hooman1-jpg.8081

Second play. Gronk is the left "Tackle" as the TE:
hooman-jpg.8080

Third play is the penalty play.

First play is a pass to Hooman, lined up as Left tackle /TE last on the last LOS. Ravens are in zone but Pats hit the seam in the coverage. This is IDENTICAL formation to the penalty play which happened 3 minutes later in real time.
hooman1-jpg.8081

Second play. Gronk is the left "Tackle" as the TE:
hooman-jpg.8080

Third play is the penalty play.

Yeah, I misunderstood what you meant. Thought you were saying Hooman was ineligible on 1 and 2.

Yeah, I misunderstood what you meant. Thought you were saying Hooman was ineligible on 1 and 2.

How about next week Stork catches a TD? As you can see the snapper is at the end of the line. Anyone on the line can snap the ball.

According to that picture Hooman is ineligible on the 2nd one. Vereen has him covered up.

More interesting is how the first time there's 4 o-line on the field the broadcast crew did a great job of highlighting that from the overhead camera. They showed the right side of the line and slowly moved to the left and kept it there for a brief moment so you could see they had 4 o-line with Hooman lining up at the traditional left tackle position although he was an eligible receiver.

Can an ineligible receiver still take a backwards pass or handoff? Or is that an illegal touch?

Btw, do people write Vareen on purpose or is that how they think it's spelled?

Last edited:
Can an ineligible receiver still take a backwards pass or handoff?

All players can take backward passes and handoffs (still have that left over from rugby :) ). "Eligibility" refers only to the eligibility to catch a forward pass.

Well that makes that play all the more interesting! You really do have an extra man to take the ball on the field then. I wonder if they didn't cover Vereen and covered Hooman instead if Brady would throw the backwards pass and have Vereen gain some yards.

Well that makes that play all the more interesting! You really do have an extra man to take the ball on the field then. I wonder if they didn't cover Vereen and covered Hooman instead if Brady would throw the backwards pass and have Vereen gain some yards.

There are those of us here who are close to 100% sure that on the 3rd play (the one to Hooman that took the ball to the BAL 10 right before Harbaugh came unglued) Vereen was the second read. He drifted backwards noticeably more than he did on the other play(s) where he was ineligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back