PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 'I misjudged Josh McDaniels" confessional thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEM said:
That is what they expect us to do.

True, but the Colts defense is so awful that they still won't be able to stop it.

NEM said:

So NEM says what ... because they expects us to do that .... what should
PATs do NEM almightyone?

NEM said:

So which is it? We're supposed to attack the weakness? Or we're supposed to avoid doing what they expect?

Who cares what they expect? They haven't been able to stop anyone from running all season long. They simply must expect to be attacked that way every week, yet they still can't stop anyone.

With a team like the Colts you want to keep Manning off of the field. You do that by dripping clock. You do that by running. The Colts do not run defend well. It's an obvious formula.

If they load the box I'm sure the Pats will take what's there and throw, but if it's a base defense I think it's fair to say that you can expect some running plays.

NEM said:
you dont have to call me "almighty one", just "your holiness" will do. :D

In order for anyone to call you that you might want to try being correct more than once in seven games. Just a suggestion. :)

NEM said:
Six out of seven.

Haha, and again your credibility shows itself.

Enjoy this one week where reality matches your fantasy, because the overlap between this world and Lala Land is surely a temporary thing.

I've missed Weis and will be partial to him indefinitely, but McD deserves some mad props for some great calling of recent. At the start of the season I was not at all happy with the playcalling, but in time I fell into the camp that thought they were holding back strategically.

I think the Cincy and Minnesota games prove that. Each game has a different game plan, and not every game plan is designed to put a ton of points on the board. In the case of games versus division rivals - especially if we are playing them for the first time in a season, often we are just trying to control the ball and get by with as vanilla a game plan as possible.

That's just my take on it, that could be BS, it could be that McD has good games and bad games - but it just seems that BB, McD and Brady have this switch they can just turn on when they really need offense.

Well, I am happy that McD is getting some production out of his new toys. Tom is clearly not seriously injured, or psycologically broken, or has been replaced by space aliens, and it was as we all kept saying all along, the recievers needed time to get into the system. What impressed me more then anything else last night is the recievers got to the right spots and made the right adjustments while not being able to hear Tom at all.

Personally, I figure they did their usual self scouting during the bye week and trimmed down the play-sheet to what the individule players can do best. It is not just the reciveirs adjusting to the system but the system adjusting to the players.

The rest of the leauge is officialy on notice, this group will only get better with the passing months. And McD is certainly going to know exactly how to get the most out of his players come January.

NEM said:
Ok, let me say this, and then I am going to put the OC thing to bed.

For the first five games of the season, part of the sixth, I will say that the reason there was controversy about the offense was, probably... I will admit, much of it... doe to the personnel problems, mainly with the wide receivers.

Now,it appears, those problems , seemtohave been rectified...and it's time to move on.

Our constant arguing, bickering, etc.... will not make things better,and we all should be on the same page now, with but one goal in mind...and that we all know is in Miami, in February.

Many of us have our own opinions, sometimes in a very stubborn manner, myself included.....but we are 6-1...and on the verge of what can be one of the greatest seasons in Patriot history.

Lets enjoy it TOGETHER, united , as one.

And I will do my best to bite my tongue, if necessary.

Edited for greater clarity. This could be a turning point for all of us - who don't venture onto the political board, anyways.....:woohoo:

Dale Arnold was just saying that last Tuesday Tom had a meeting with BB. He has one every Tuesday AM (everyone else's day off) before THEY start planning the offense for the week. This past Tuesday when Tom walked in to Bill's office coach said this is the week. Brady wasn't sure what he was talking about. As the meeting wound down BB said it again, and Tom asked him what he was talking about. He said this is the week you will pass. Belichick had already formed the broad outline of the Minnesota offensive game plan - as is his perrogative, NEM. He was waiting for his offense to be ready to execute it. He knew they were close, and in practice this week things really came together. So much so that before the game BB asked Tom how he though it would go and he told him we're gonna kick ass. I know the ESPN talking heads mentioned in the postgame that he made a similar prediction to Warren Moon when they talked on the field in warmups.

PATSNUTme said:
This thread is set up for all of you who may want to lighten the burden of guilt that you must be carrying around today.

You dont have to eat crow. You don't have to say you were wrong. Just say you misjudged McDaniels and that guilt that you are carrying today will deminish.

So, have posted "Josh McDaniels sucks as an OC" , " He's over his head", He lacks imagination", that kind of stuff.

Also, for you who said our WR corps is awful. We can't win without Branch. We really needed Randy Moss. You can say that you misjudged that situation on this thread and it will lighten your load too.

I do this for you.:rocker:

I'm thinking Bill had some input on this offensive game plan.

MoLewisrocks said:
Edited for greater clarity. This could be a turning point for all of us - who don't venture onto the political board, anyways.....:woohoo:

Dale Arnold was just saying that last Tuesday Tom had a meeting with BB. He has one every Tuesday AM (everyone else's day off) before THEY start planning the offense for the week. This past Tuesday when Tom walked in to Bill's office coach said this is the week. Brady wasn't sure what he was talking about. As the meeting wound down BB said it again, and Tom asked him what he was talking about. He said this is the week you will pass. Belichick had already formed the broad outline of the Minnesota offensive game plan - as is his perrogative, NEM. He was waiting for his offense to be ready to execute it. He knew they were close, and in practice this week things really came together. So much so that before the game BB asked Tom how he though it would go and he told him we're gonna kick ass. I know the ESPN talking heads mentioned in the postgame that he made a similar prediction to Warren Moon when they talked on the field in warmups.

Not sure how you found information on a meeting between BB and Brady (I would believe that most of the Pats players don't even know what goes on between those two) But while watching the game last night, I kept thinking about how much the playcalling looked like a Charlie Weis kind of game.

For whatever reason, it was a brilliantly planned game. I thought the Vikes did not expect Brady to take snaps with an empty backfield on so many plays.

If BB told Josh how to call the game......I would buy that in a second. Josh will be OK eventually but he has not fooled many DC's so far this year. With Charlie, you would never know what he was going to do. And thats one of the most endearing qualities I miss about him. He never called 2 games in a row the same.

Either way, good job Josh and Pats.

FloridaPatsFan said:
Not sure how you found information on a meeting between BB and Brady (I would believe that most of the Pats players don't even know what goes on between those two) But while watching the game last night, I kept thinking about how much the playcalling looked like a Charlie Weis kind of game.

For whatever reason, it was a brilliantly planned game. I thought the Vikes did not expect Brady to take snaps with an empty backfield on so many plays.

If BB told Josh how to call the game......I would buy that in a second. Josh will be OK eventually but he has not fooled many DC's so far this year. With Charlie, you would never know what he was going to do. And thats one of the most endearing qualities I miss about him. He never called 2 games in a row the same.

Either way, good job Josh and Pats.

The information was something Dale Arnold of WEEI was relating. Not sure if it is something he was told or if it was something Tom talked about on the air this AM with D&C.

What I think you (and others) fail to grasp is the offense was always BB's, just like the D. Charlie was a very bright guy he tapped to fashion an offense for him that suited his mentality. BB wanted an opportunistic offense that could take advantage of his defensive accumen. That's one of the many reasons why Bledsoe was doomed here. BB believes that will allow him to get more bang for his buck consistently. With Brady as his QB that vision became reality. He is also a conservative coach in that he is adamant about protecting the football, limiting turnovers, not taking undue risk, managing the clock, field position, time of posession, all of it.

I don't think he has ever really stuck his nose into the playcalling itself. He was with Charlie when BP took his playcalling duties away from him. Under his leadership the game plan has always been a collaborative effort. I do think he would step in, as I think he did with Eric last season on D, if he felt that the calls and not the execution or lack thereof was the root of the problem. He wasn't calling plays last night. Didn't even appear to have a playsheet.

Charlie was a deft playcaller. Josh may not be that yet, but I think he's better than some here are willing to acknowledge for the same reason they criticized Charlie. We can't always know or understand why they call what they call. Our knowledge of the opposition is comparatively cursory. They don't expect every play to result in a positive. Sometimes they are probing or setting an opponent up. Fans just want them to call the big gain play every down. They respect their opposition enough to understand that just ain't gonna happen.

Yes, Tom talked about it on D n C this morning. One of the redeeming qualities of D n C is the weekly Brady chats.

NEM said:
What's there to confess? He ran MY game plan, did a nice job of it, too. Kudos to him for, finally, seeing the light that I have done my best to instill in his head.

Instead of trying to crack a defenses strength, as he has attempted all season, you atttack their weakness, and you keep doing it as long as it is working. And, he did. Good job. He is learning.

Lord knows I have done my best to give him the benefit of my vast knowledge and understanding of the game and in my next book, I will be sure to give him his own chapter. :D

He has restored my faith in knowing that it is true, anyone can learn. Way to go Josh.:D

Look back to the discussion leading up to the Vikes game - EVERYONE and their brother agreed that the way to beat the Vikes given their Defense was through the air. That includes NEM and everyone else.

If he HADN'T called a air dominated game, it would have been shocking and indicated that the team didn't have the capability and/or the OC doesn't know what he's doing.

I've balanced my concerns between performance of personnel and play calling. BOTH were EXCELLENT last night. They began to stretch the field against Buffalo and took it to the next level against the Vikings.

If they can consistently turn on the passing game when they need to - a big question until now, but one that appears to have been answered positively - then this is going to be one dominant team.

In hindsight the question remains - whether the Pats couldn't effectively use the pass, or wouldn't effectively use the pass. I think the answer is a little bit of both.

JoeSixPat said:
Look back to the discussion leading up to the Vikes game - EVERYONE and their brother agreed that the way to beat the Vikes given their Defense was through the air. That includes NEM and everyone else.

If he HADN'T called a air dominated game, it would have been shocking and indicated that the team didn't have the capability and/or the OC doesn't know what he's doing.

I've balanced my concerns between performance of personnel and play calling. BOTH were EXCELLENT last night. They began to stretch the field against Buffalo and took it to the next level against the Vikings.

If they can consistently turn on the passing game when they need to - a big question until now, but one that appears to have been answered positively - then this is going to be one dominant team.

In hindsight the question remains - whether the Pats couldn't effectively use the pass, or wouldn't effectively use the pass. I think the answer is a little bit of both.

I actually said they needed to run it. I wanted to see the Pats running game impose it's will on that best run defense. From the first run I knew my idea was a bad idea. I was wrong.

My favorite play of the game was the fake draw slip screen. That was brilliant. And excellently executed as well.

Every one knows that BB's hands are all over the game plans on O, D, and ST's.

Then it's up to the coordinators to come up with the plays and make the calls to make the game plans sucessful. The coodinatiors get too much blame when things go wrong and not enough credit when things go right.

OK, how many us secretly think Josh called Charlie during the preparation of the game plan (or Brady did or bb did or Scotty did)?

aabtec said:
Skippy, the kid called one good game. Let not annoint him the next Weiss.

He has very long way to go.

NEM said:
Of course it's not, I knew that, because I was the only one that was right. :D

NEWS FLASH THE PATS ARE 6-1. THE COACHES FOR THE PATS ARE RIGHT NOT YOU.

NEM said:
Of course it's not, I knew that, because I was the only one that was right. :D

NEWS FLASH THE PATS ARE 6-1. THE COACHES FOR THE PATS ARE RIGHT NOT YOU. IN FACT ARE 4-1 IN GAMES YOU SAY THEY SUCKED

MoLewisrocks said:
What I think you (and others) fail to grasp is the offense was always BB's, just like the D.
When Charlie left, Belichick said it was his (Belichick's) offense. And that Charlie did his job through what he was told to by Belichick (I'm paraphrasing, of course). Belichick has never been one to take credit for something he shouldn't so there's no reason to believe you aren't right.

MoLewisrocks said:
I don't think he has ever really stuck his nose into the playcalling itself.
He kept his eye on Charlie, though. One of the book, Patriot Reign most likely, said during one of the playoff games when the Patriots were in good shape, Belichick said to Charlie "no stupid sh!t now".

Patjew said:
Skippy????
Just a pitiful, junior high style, way to talk down about a guy. As if people here know who our offensive coordinator should be more than Belichick.

I mean, think about it. McDaniels had a semi trial year as OC last year. Do people think Belichick would then just give him the title to spare his feelings ? Obviously Belichick was happy with the job he did to the point that he promoted him to the official title. But people here know more than Belichick, I guess :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back