PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "Edelman experiment"

Status
Not open for further replies.
amendola is going to be looked at again next year, and is gonna be cheaper.

I liked that midget ever since he came out. The guy puts up decent numbers even in that ****ty rams O. Looking injury prone recently though.

10 catches, actually (1, 5, 4 in first half).

You're right, and I should have been more suspicious of those numbers I was looking at, but I sloppily didn't think them through. Pro-Football-Reference is usually spot on. I just did a double check and something's way off there.

10 catches is still not a good "experiment" for the WR2, but it's obviously a hell of a lot better than 6.

Now, having omitted an entire game's worth of catches for Mr. Edelman, I clearly need to force myself to get some sleep, so I'm off to conquer insomnia, at least for one night.

Last edited:
You're right, and I should have been more suspicious of those numbers I was looking at, but I sloppily didn't think them through. Pro-Football-Reference is usually spot on. I just did a double check and something's way off there.

10 catches is still not a good "experiment" for the WR2, but it's obviously a hell of a lot better than 6.

I get the right numbers. Maybe you were looking at the KR/PR table (6 PRs for 63 yards), which oddly is above the Receiving/Rushing table? :confused:

I get the right numbers. Maybe you were looking at the KR/PR table (6 PRs for 63 yards), which oddly is above the Receiving/Rushing table? :confused:

No, but thanks for double checking. I've got Edelman on an injured list, and not in among the recievers/backs. Welker and Branch are missing from there, too.

Very strange.... the only person listed on returns is McCourty. Maybe I've got a bad cookie or a cache that needs cleaning out. I'll look at it more closely after a few hours of sleep.

Last edited:
10 catches in 2 1/2 games is 4 catches per game. Not great in a vacuum, but looks better when you consider the other receiving talent around him.

Hoping a player from your favorite team stays injured?

:bricks:

I'm all for having a debate over which WR should get reps and all that that. It's a fun "fan" activity and all. But I think that most people here agree that it's pretty much a d-bag move to "hope" for an injury to a player on another team, right?

And here the OP starts by HOPING Edelman (a player on "his favorite" team), stays injured? :confused:

Kinda cheapens the who topic, doncha think?

Last edited:
Starts a WW/JE thread for no reason, says "Hopefully the teacher's pet, Edelperson, will stay injured" followed by "Well, obviously I like JE and wish him the best", and has a grateful dead skull as their avatar... I'm writing this off as too much fun with drugs.

I've been impressed by Edelman this season.

I really like Run DMC the band, it annoys me so much when some fool takes the name of something I like and then posts horrible rubbish. Wishing ill on a player is wrong, wishing ill on a player from the team you are a fan of makes you not a fan in my book.

Edelman may be our most dangerous receiver with the ball in his hands, and as a result may see more opportunities on bubble screens and short looks. He still lacks experience and has more upside that other receivers.

Edelman was having a good game playing on the outside in the Baltimore game. But it's no myster that, once Welker's playing time increased, the offense started to move the ball through the air much better. Welker should be re-signed. There's no doubt about it. Receivers with his skillset and understanding of the offense and where Brady likes to go don't grow on trees.

Too bad he wasn't the #1 slot receiver at all this year. Do yourself a favor and go back to pretending to know music..

What's next ? End the Hernandez "experiment" because he's not Gronk and he's always injured ?

Edelman definitely adds something to the team as a PR and the 5th or 6th option in the passing game when we're at full strength. Plus the potential to maybe be a starter quality WR someday. As long as he's not taking reps away from LLoyd or Welker I think the team is a bit better when he's back.

This thread would make sense if anyone was honestly saying Edelman > Welker or Gronk or Lloyd or Hernandez.

I think Edelman is definitely > Branch at this point, at least based on what we've seen.

So hoping for him to stay injured is ******ed.

Edelman definitely adds something to the team as a PR and the 5th or 6th option in the passing game when we're at full strength. Plus the potential to maybe be a starter quality WR someday. As long as he's not taking reps away from LLoyd or Welker I think the team is a bit better when he's back.

Best post of the thread.

Was Edelman playing slot receiver when he was in there? I thought he was playing outside WR and not slot?

Wasn't Hernandez really the one taking the slot receiver role instead of Welker, while Edelman was at outside WR (taking Branch's position)?

I thought I read/observed the above.

Branch has been on the field for 50% of the offensive reps for the last two weeks, resulting in 2 catches for 15 yards.

Does ANYONE think that Edelman deserves more reps than Branch has gotten? If Edelman comes back healthy this week, I would suggest that Edelman take almost all of Branch's reps. When we run the 3 WR, 1 TE offense, Edelman should be on the field. Also, Edelman would be our punt returner.

Welker's reps should not be reduced because Edelman comes back.
==========================================

We can have this discussion again with regard to Hernandez. Personally, I would think that we would simply be running fewer 3 WR sets, and Edelman's reps would be decreased.
==========================================
MG'S BOTTOM LINE
When we have 2 WR's on the field, they should be Welker and Lloyd. The health of Edelman and Hernandez should not affect this conclusion.

I agree 100%. Edelman is a good WR, but he pales in comparison to WW. In 2 WR, 2 TE sets, it needs to be lloyd and welker. Edelman could come in on 3 WR sets, with welker moving to the slot. Seems obvious to me. Not so much to the coaches, apparently.

I hope to God that nonsense is over. Obviously this offense is pure TNT when one of the games premiere WR's, a fellow by the name of Welker, is one of is centerpieces. Hopefully the teacher's pet, Edelperson, will stay injured so we can continue to win and dominate football games. And the Krafts need to pay Welker top WR money. He's earned it and plays like it.
JE will never be WW. Is this even open to debate?
Great an entire new thread based upon a made up phenomenon. :rolleyes:

I agree 100%. Edelman is a good WR, but he pales in comparison to WW. In 2 WR, 2 TE sets, it needs to be lloyd and welker. Edelman could come in on 3 WR sets, with welker moving to the slot. Seems obvious to me. Not so much to the coaches, apparently.

It depends upon the objective.
If the objective is to reduce Welkers snaps to make him more effective on the snaps he plays (we are talking 75-80% instead of 90% here which is a handful of snaps a game) and increase the chances of him being 100% for the playoffs, then the 2 WR set is the one to sit him out of.

People who think Welker was going to play 15 snaps a game if Hernandez didn't get hurt while Edleman played 60 are delusional.

I hope to God that nonsense is over. Obviously this offense is pure TNT when one of the games premiere WR's, a fellow by the name of Welker, is one of is centerpieces. Hopefully the teacher's pet, Edelperson, will stay injured so we can continue to win and dominate football games. And the Krafts need to pay Welker top WR money. He's earned it and plays like it.
JE will never be WW. Is this even open to debate?

0 rings with WW, hundreds of catches but drops the one that matters most

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye