Welcome to PatsFans.com

The downside of signing Burgess & Watson

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

The only downside is a little bonus money. Watson is clearly the best tight end available. Burgess was improving and learning the system and is likely the best DE out there for us.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I've always liked Watson and I'll be disappointed when he leaves but I've accepted that it's going to happen. Burgess I could give or take.

Regarding downsides, we only see them on the field so it's tough to know other downsides to bringing them back like personality, leadership, locker room presence, etc.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  3. patriotscpfc

patriotscpfc Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd sign them both to reasonable contracts.
  4. TheComeback

TheComeback Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I might sign Burgess to have a veteran presence at outside linebacker, but he's not the solution to our problems. I think he could fill in until a rookie is ready to take his place.

If he weren't a douchebag I'd keep Thomas in that role as he's a more talented player. Unfortunately he is a douchebag.
  5. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

If you could get either on a one year deal that would likely be the case, and that may be the case with Burgess in the end. Not so sure Watson won't eventually attract a longer term deal even at far less than he likely hoped. That KC and Denver haven't come calling is probably pretty telling in Ben's case. Nice guy, smart guy, exceptional athlete, just couldn't ever put it all together in this system.
  6. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

watson has not signed with any one yet so 3 or 3.5 million a year should bring him back. thats not bad for a pretty good TE. ill take him back and burgess, should be back.
  7. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I haven't heard a thing about anyone being interested in Watson. Have I missed anything?
  8. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

OLB, not DE. Burgess will not be Green's replacement, period.
  9. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0

I've been a Watson fan as well - but the way I look at it, is if Brady/Belichick/O'Brien really wanted Watson back, I think the FO would make it happen. It's not like it's a matter of money (it hasn't even gotten that far) so its a matter of performance.

As for Burgess, I wouldn't mind seeing him back. I can't see him getting much money elsewhere. We invested a 3rd, 5th and a year of 3-4 OLB training in him, the prudent thing would be to keep him and see if he improves in this system.
  10. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Both these players are big mysteries to me. Both look great on paper and mediocre on the field, except for occasional bursts of brilliance.
  11. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +826 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Burgess sucked last season. The downside of signing him is that you'd be taking up a spot that could go to another player, and hoping Burgess didn't suck yet again.
  12. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

i am too a Benjamin Watson fan and i will be happy to see him back next season
  13. mcmurtry86

mcmurtry86 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

Burgess came on pretty strong towards the end of the year once he got comfortable in the 3-4. Not saying he is worth coming back or that he was great or anything, but he did show signs of life
  14. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0

I don't know if he sucked. He just wasn't what we had hoped he would be. He was learning a new system and playing in a defense that was coping with trading away their best defensive player. By the end of the year, I thought he was decent. If no one else wants to sign him, and I doubt he has much attention coming this way, I'd at least take him to camp.
  15. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

The down side is you are left with two players that are not effective and at least in Watson's case likely to be over paid.

I didn't see Burgess do anything last year, if they can't find an upgrade then it looks like a real rough year for the defense.
  16. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +826 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Burgess sucked in weeks 1-8, and Burgess sucked in weeks 9-17. His level of suck was very minimally improved over the last 3 games of the season, but 2 of those games were against teams that had already checked out for the year.

Duane Starks is happy that his position as the player portion of "worst BB trade for a player" is no more, because he has been overtaken by Mr. Burgess, a player from the Raiders.
  17. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +329 / 6 / -7

I was under the impression Starks came from the Cardinals.

That being said, I have nothing against bringing Burgess to camp.
  18. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +826 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

I mangled the quote. I was trying to note Burgess as the worst player trade, and to note that he came from the Raiders and Davis, whom everyone here calls senile, etc....
  19. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

If Watson is the best TE out there, why did Fells sign before him? How does the best TE out there make it to week #3 in FA?

I think the other teams see a mediocre producer and wonder why that is considering he plays with one of the top 5 QB's in the game.

BB has methocically gone down the FA list and resigned a bunch of our FAs. Technically Watson should be next in line. It looksto be now or never time as far as Watson resigning.
  20. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

Your comments make little sense to me.

1) We are not in Week #3 of free agency. It just feels that way. Week #1 ends at 4PM today.

2) We are talking about the best available now. Fells is gone. Watson is the best available now.

3) The best of lots of positions haven't been signed by other teams. It is the nature of free agency for only a few players to ahve switched teams by the end of Week 1.
    ========

I do agree that now is the time to consider Watson (and Burgess)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.