PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The downside of signing Burgess & Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not worried about not having enough spots on the 80-man roster for Burgess. We need competition in camp, especially from those who know the system. And, I don't think he awful last year. However, I would like to see him signed and beaten out for a roster spot.

Burgess sucked last season. The downside of signing him is that you'd be taking up a spot that could go to another player, and hoping Burgess didn't suck yet again.

I am not worried about not having enough spots on the 80-man roster for Burgess. We need competition in camp, especially from those who know the system. And, I don't think he awful last year. However, I would like to see him signed and beaten out for a roster spot.

I'm not really worried about anything right now. The team has several months to get a team in place, and there will be plenty of wannabes to choose from. You talked about downside, though, and I was pointing out my opinion of what that downside is. Watson returning would be a much more positive development.

I mangled the quote. I was trying to note Burgess as the worst player trade, and to note that he came from the Raiders and Davis, whom everyone here calls senile, etc....

Ah, I figured.

I actually think Starks was a whole lot worse than Burgess. I guess it's just a question of whether his suckitude was greater than or commensurate to the value of a 5th round pick.

Ah, I figured.

I actually think Starks was a whole lot worse than Burgess. I guess it's just a question of whether his suckitude was greater than or commensurate to the value of a 5th round pick.

When talking about trades alex smith has to be up there he didn't make the team.

I want to see both Burgess and Watson back we know they can do a ok job and produce moments of magic see week 1 2009 for why Mr Watson is needed.

Brady would rather have russ francis then watson

Brady would rather throw to me then see watson's stonehands return. Brady would much rather have mediocre dependable te's to throw to then talented unreliable ones. Worse, when watson drops the ball, he does not just drop it, but he bats it into the air like he is beach volleyball player setting up for his teammate a spike and it usually gets picked. Why do you think brady went to him so few times even after his good start last season. Watson's time here is done.

I'll be astounded if Watson doesn't get an offer that makes us think twice. For reasonable money, why not?

A shame his greatest play will likely be a defensive one. He just is not very physical, especially considering his physical attributes

I'd like both back for reasonable price. With Smith resigning in Denver Burgess would at least be good depth after he finally started to pick up the system. Not sure what he's looking for though.

Both these guys are good players and at positions where the Patriots need help. If Watson was playing for some other team and was now a free agent, all you guys would be hot to sign him. Don't deny it; everyone including me would be crazy to get the guy. He can block and can get down field.

Burgess started to come on a bit at the end. Maybe he was learning the system. Don't know but he was not bad at the end. Sign him.

Re: Brady would rather have russ francis then watson

Brady would rather throw to me then see watson's stonehands return. Brady would much rather have mediocre dependable te's to throw to then talented unreliable ones. Worse, when watson drops the ball, he does not just drop it, but he bats it into the air like he is beach volleyball player setting up for his teammate a spike and it usually gets picked. Why do you think brady went to him so few times even after his good start last season. Watson's time here is done.

Brady had more trust in Wiggins and Fauria than he ever had in Watson, even with the huge discrepancy in athletic ability. That alone should tell everything you need to know about him.

Re: Brady would rather have russ francis then watson

Brady had more trust in Wiggins and Fauria than he ever had in Watson, even with the huge discrepancy in athletic ability. That alone should tell everything you need to know about him.

Word

The Pats grade every player at the end of the season. They were committed to bring back Bodden, Faulk, Wilfork. I've heard/seen no such commitment towards Watson.

Thus far, Crumpler has visited and NE was rumored to have offered Olsen a deal.

Watson is sorta like Maroney. Youre always waiting for the day he will breakout and be an NFL Star and live up to his billing.

i have always been a fan of burgess. I would love for him to turn out well after a season in the system but yeah i am still 50/50 for both i guess. i think i throw watson in the same boat i think back to the bills game where he shredded the seam twice in 2 minutes to win the game... then wasn't really heard from again for a while

i have always been a fan of burgess. I would love for him to turn out well after a season in the system but yeah i am still 50/50 for both i guess. i think i throw watson in the same boat i think back to the bills game where he shredded the seam twice in 2 minutes to win the game... then wasn't really heard from again for a while

That's the problem with Watson. He caught two TDs in the opener, everyone anticipated a big season from him and it didn't happen. By mid-season Brady was rarely looking his way.

This tells me the offense doesn't have the necessary confidence in him. What is the last time you saw Brady have a great weapon that he didn't use or didn't maximize it's talent? People may say our offense just isn't built around throwing to the Tight End, but I'm sure if Brady had Ben Coates he'd heave passes his way in a consistent basis.

Last edited:
One poster here put it best. They guy (Watson) has "frying pans" for hands.

Now you try to catch a football with frying pans! It's hard!:bricks:

One poster here put it best. They guy (Watson) has "frying pans" for hands.

Now you try to catch a football with frying pans! It's hard!:bricks:

Especially, if you first spray them with PAM. You know what I mean?

The most memorable play of Watson's career was a tackle...'nuff said.

Burgess sucked in weeks 1-8, and Burgess sucked in weeks 9-17.
His level of suck was very minimally improved over the last 3 games of the season, but 2 of those games were against teams that had already checked out for the year.

classic line there ... well said. ;)

Last edited:
I'll be astounded if Watson doesn't get an offer that makes us think twice. For reasonable money, why not?

A shame his greatest play will likely be a defensive one. He just is not very physical, especially considering his physical attributes

Whatever happened to that 4.4 he could run ... must have been wind aided.

Whatever happened to that 4.4 he could run ... must have been wind aided.

Track speed, game speed. Watson gets open well, says excuse me to the defender, then steps out or down after the catch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back