PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Chargers: bold innovators in incompetence

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chargers can't really trade him either can they? The acquiring team wouldn't have money from the rookie pool to sign him; the same reason that we discussed in regards to the Pats having a team draft a player for them and trade him to the Pats.

The Chargers can't really trade him either can they? The acquiring team wouldn't have money from the rookie pool to sign him; the same reason that we discussed in regards to the Pats having a team draft a player for them and trade him to the Pats.

IIRC the deadline for trading the rights to draft has passed, so that's out.

Everybody loses in this, how is the next year 1st round class? I know there are some top RB's coming, top 10 level. There are 4 RB's with 1st round grade if i'm not mistaken. If Bosa drops out of the top 5 he's losing money.

I couldn't care less , **** the Chargers, I hope they go 0-16 this year and draft Bosa again next year.

Bosa wants more guaranteed and upfront money than the two guys picked before him. He practically wants his entire contract paid before he even plays a down. Sorry, I'm with the Chargers on this one.

Yeah they can't go that route now

Bosa wants more guaranteed and upfront money than the two guys picked before him.

False

He practically wants his entire contract paid before he even plays a down.

Also false. I dunno where you're getting your info from, but you're very misinformed on this subject.

Bosa is NOT going to sit out the year. With the way the CBA is now, if he did, NO WAY he gets drafted as high as #3 overall next year. Hell there are three RB coming out next year that will all go higher than Bosa will (Fournette, McCaffery, Chubb). With the way the CBA is written, it would be really dumb for Bosa not to sign on for his #3 contract. Plus it would push his eventual entrance into Free Agency another year out. (Unless he drops out of the first round all together, then it would be the same as if he signed today).

Eventually he will have to sign with the Chargers, they know it, he knows it, all that is left is when its eventually going to happen.

And NO, with the rookie salary cap, there is no way to trade him either.

If you're willing to take an aggressive, hardline stance in negotiations, you'd better not be bluffing.

Assuming Bosa walks, if you're the rep for the Chargers #1 next year, you say "Give us everything we want or have fun telling the media and your fans how you didn't sign your last two #1 draft picks."

And that will go on for at least a decade. If they end up signing Bosa they'll be ok. But if he walks they've put themselves in a situation where they either have no leverage in negotiations with first rounders or they're going to have a PR ****show.

Last edited:
There isn't a way to sign and trade him? I'm not clear on that.

There isn't a way to sign and trade him? I'm not clear on that.

My understanding--and I'm not 100% on this, so could be wrong--is that they can sign and trade him, with all the various complications that creates re: bonus acceleration, etc., but they can't trade his rights. Basically, they can trade him, but they have to actually sign him first.

My understanding--and I'm not 100% on this, so could be wrong--is that they can sign and trade him, with all the various complications that creates re: bonus acceleration, etc., but they can't trade his rights. Basically, they can trade him, but they have to actually sign him first.

if you look at Over the Cap and check out Ezikiel Elliot's numbers (the guy taken just after Bosa). If the Cowboys were to trade him they would have over 16 million in dead money and an almost 12 million dollar cap hit. So it is almost impossible to trade one of these top picks without crushing your salary cap.

Dallas Cowboys Salary Cap - Over the Cap

if you look at Over the Cap and check out Ezikiel Elliot's numbers (the guy taken just after Bosa). If the Cowboys were to trade him they would have over 16 million in dead money and an almost 12 million dollar cap hit. So it is almost impossible to trade one of these top picks without crushing your salary cap.

Dallas Cowboys Salary Cap - Over the Cap

Yeah, pretty much. You technically can trade him after signing him, but bonus acceleration would murder your cap hard enough that it's hard to imagine a scenario where a team would actually do it.

As someone that doesn't particularly care for the Chargers, this is great to watch. Because they've tried to screw around with Bosa, they've created a situation where their first round draft picks for the conceivable future are going to be absolute headaches for them to sign. Good for Bosa. I hope he holds out and re-enters the draft next season.

If I recall correctly, the Chargers had a contentious rookie negotiation with The Classy LdT. That worked out pretty well for them in the end.

Bosa is an ass.

Bosa is an ass.
Chargers have had tons of holdouts this last decade and a half (Complainian, Gates, Rivers, Jammer, Merrimac), makes you wonder who the real problem is.

The way I understand it (basically PFTs take) is that Bosa wants a fairly standard 3rd overall contract. The Chargers don't want to set any precedents on deferrals and offset language that they've never done before (not since the new 2011 rules, anyway), but the Chargers have never even picked in the top 10 since 2011, so their precedents are only for much lower picks.

The question is, will he drop to us at 32 next year. :) I'm joking, but I'm not really joking.

The funny thing is Bosa doesn't even fit into the Chargers scheme, remember when they drafted him there was gasps of why did they do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes