PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Chargers: bold innovators in incompetence

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure lots of posters here have been following the Chargers / Joey Bosa negotiation debacle, but for those who haven't here's a quick summary. Also, every source that I'm citing here was pulled from the nfl subreddit. Don't want to take credit for other people's work, but I did want to share it here since I think it's a pretty interesting story.

The 2011 CBA was billed as pretty much eliminating first round draft holdouts, since it rigidly structured how much players could make based on draft slot. It pretty much succeeded in that respect, in that there is now only a very narrow range of negotiable issues that the player and team are likely to actually care about. Two of those things are the timing of bonus payments (pretty self-explanatory) and offset language (what amount of relief, if any, the team gets in the event that the player is released and signed elsewhere.

The Chargers drafted Bosa 3rd overall. They've spent the past few months trying to get Bosa to sign a contract that delays paying half of his bonus until the next league year, and also includes offset language. This breaks from precedent in that, since the new CBA was passed, no top 3 pick has signed a contract including both bonus deferral and offset language. Jared Goff has a bonus deferral included, but no offset language. Wentz has offset language, but no bonus deferral. Ezekiel Elliott, the 4th pick, signed a deal with both bonus deferral and offset language. On the face of it, it seems like Elliott signed a bad deal and the Chargers jumped on a lower-drafted player's bad contract as a precedent for what they can demand out of Bosa.

This all boiled over with the Chargers releasing a statement yesterday that's basically an attempt to paint Bosa as not-a-team-player, and themselves as the patient compromisers:

Basically, the Chargers decided to issue a misleading statement in an effort to smear their draft pick and shame him into signing a bad contract. That's a bold strategy. Point 3 was particularly disingenuous, since it compared Bosa's offer to the Chargers' own picks since 2011... and they haven't drafted in the top 10 since then. Purely as a function of where he was drafted, Bosa's contract should be significantly above any previous Chargers' rookie contract since then. PFT has kindly gone over point by point and demonstrated how every statement was misleading here:

Bosa has moved on deferral issue, but not enough for the Chargers

Naturally, some people are trying to spin this as Bosa being unwilling to compromise. Kevin Acee at the San Diego Union-Tribune, for example, tweeted this:

Reddit user CommuterTrain immediately clarified what was left unsaid: that the initial offer gave less than 42.5% of his bonus in 2016. So the Chargers essentially started from a completely asinine, absolute non-starter position, so that they could move a bit to the middle, still be in "it's an absolute steal if we get this" territory, and then smear Bosa for being 'unwilling to compromise'. Frankly, I think this is pretty compelling evidence that they've been negotiating in bad faith to try to force Bosa into a terrible deal from the start, but your mileage may vary.

Anyway, Bosa's representatives responded to the Chargers' statement with a statement of their own:

At this point, I think the well may be poisoned. The Chargers have made it clear that any subsequent offers will be worse than the one they just made, to reflect the fact that Bosa's been out too long to be a full contributor this season. Bosa has dug in his heels, saying that to the extent that's true it's only because the Chargers have been unwilling to come even close to an acceptable offer, all while delaying throughout. If the Chargers don't budge on this, I believe Bosa will sit out the year and re-enter the draft next season. If he does, there's nothing I would l would love more than for him to fall to us at #32 (knock on wood that we'll be drafting there, and I know it's implausible because he won't fall that far). I live among a bunch of Chargers fans who have been following this closely, and they're so exasperated with their ****ty owner and ****ty FO that they're genuinely wondering if this is a plot to piss them off so much that they don't even care when the team moves.

Last edited:
Robert Kraft treated our first round pick way worse than the Chargers are treating Bosa.
He gave him away for no reason, and without any fight.

While I hate how it went down and blame him completely for his incompetence in handling the entire situation, ultimately Roger Goodell did one thing right in having the Rams be the team to move to LA instead of the Chargers. Do you want a cheap, penny-pinching, no-vision, "thanks Dad" miser having the lead rights to the #2 market in the US? Sickens me even more that Kraft supports "old guard' guys like him.

At this point, Bosa should just tell the Chargers to go pound sand. He shouldn't accept either a deferral or an offset. If that means he goes back in the draft next year, so be it. At least he won't have to deal with the Chargers anymore.

At this point, Bosa should just tell the Chargers to go pound sand. He shouldn't accept either a deferral or an offset. If that means he goes back in the draft next year, so be it. At least he won't have to deal with the Chargers anymore.
Haven't we seen this movie before?

The Mannings were right about the Chargers, gotta give them credit for that.

Robert Kraft treated our first round pick way worse than the Chargers are treating Bosa.

I'd say equally badly, but fair enough. If anything, I'd say what the Chargers are doing is worse, because:

A) it's completely, 100%, entirely on them. There is no outside pressure driving this issue, whereas with the Pats the league commissioner was gunning for them. We can debate whether or not Kraft's response could/should have been a whole lot better (I'm pretty sure we'd fall on the same side of that debate), but at least it was an outside party that got the trainwreck started.

B) A rookie is being screwed out of a year's salary and tossed into pro football purgatory for a year over this, and meanwhile the Chargers are attempting to smear him in the press to ruin his draft position next year.

Last edited:
We should criticize?
Our own timid ownership has stood by passively while we have lost not one but two #1 draft picks.

I don't see why these point should be mutually exclusive. Kraft ****ed over the Patriots twice by accepting (and even working to expand) Goodell's authority. Independently of that, Chargers' ownership is incompetent and is creating a very public trainwreck for no good reason, which it increasingly appears will cost them the #3 overall pick.

Reddit user CommuterTrain immediately clarified what was left unsaid: that the initial offer gave less than 42.5% of his bonus in 2016. So the Chargers essentially started from a completely asinine, absolute non-starter position, so that they could move a bit to the middle, still be in "it's an absolute steal if we get this" territory, and then smear Bosa for being 'unwilling to compromise'.

Sounds an awful lot like the internal discussions about how long to suspend Brady. "We were originally going to do 8 games, so you should be crying tears of joy that we let you off so easy."

At the time, I thought that the Manning family's approach to the Chargers' drafting Eli was arrogant. But, the more you see of the Spanos organization over the years the more you can understand it. It kind of makes you realize what it really means to be one of "the 32" that Kraft slobbered all over in San Francisco.

As a side note:

No player, rookie or veteran, should sign a contract with an offset.

Sounds an awful lot like the internal discussions about how long to suspend Brady. "We were originally going to do 8 games, so you should be crying tears of joy that we let you off so easy."

Next time it'll be "we were going to ban you for life, so you should be glad it's just a one-season ban". It's a great strategy for pandering to the less informed of the general public. People who have no idea re: the actual issues of a negotiation will generally assume that both sides are starting from a good-faith position and that splitting the difference = a reasonable compromise. Those people are easily manipulated by starting from a bad-faith position, so that splitting the difference would land the negotiations at what would have been your starting position had you been negotiating in good faith. It's a common enough tactic that it's widely known as 'moving the middle'. Happens in Washington all the time.

Last edited:
Assuming he's not going to sign, the damage to Bosa will be a few million, assuming he gets drafted again. Probably what, 2-3 million?

The damage to an organization in losing its 1st round draft pick is huge, we all know that. I'm sure you can put a number on it that is much higher than a few million should the player not be a bust.

But think about the position this puts the Chargers in in the future. They can't risk losing another 1st round draft pick any time soon, they'd look like a team of idiots. Which means they can't play hardball for a long, long time. Got to figure this alone is going to end up costing them a lot more than if they hadn't been cheap idiots.

At the time, I thought that the Manning family's approach to the Chargers' drafting Eli was arrogant. But, the more you see of the Spanos organization over the years the more you can understand it. It kind of makes you realize what it means to be one of "the 32" that Kraft slobbered all over in San Francisco.
Same here, I thought Eli was in the wrong, largely because I was giving the Chargers the benefit of the doubt. But the more that I've seen from the Chargers over the years, the more I think Eli was in the right all along. Archie played almost his entire career for a similarly inept organization, and he took a literal and figurative beating for it. I don't blame him for wanting better for his son, and the Chargers are arguably a uniquely bad organization to be a top dog for. IMO the fact that David Chao stayed employed by the team for as long as he did is an equally huge red flag. When your team doctor is creating headlines like this, and you still haven't fired him, you're doing something wrong: https://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771

Assuming he's not going to sign, the damage to Bosa will be a few million, assuming he gets drafted again. Probably what, 2-3 million?

The damage to an organization in losing its 1st round draft pick is huge, we all know that. I'm sure you can put a number on it that is much higher than a few million should the player not be a bust.

But think about the position this puts the Chargers in in the future. They can't risk losing another 1st round draft pick any time soon, they'd look like a team of idiots. Which means they can't play hardball for a long, long time. Got to figure this alone is going to end up costing them a lot more than if they hadn't been cheap idiots.

That's what really gets me, too. Some people are saying that this posturing will increase the Chargers' leverage going forward, since players will know that they're willing to let even a top-3 walk. I'd argue the opposite, that if Bosa doesn't sign they're the losers in this. I'm going to give them at least the benefit of the doubt and assume that they figured Bosa would eventually cave. Basically I think they were bluffing. And if you take a hardline stance in high-stakes negotiations you'd better not be bluffing, for reasons that we're watching unfold now. Bluffs get called eventually.

Bosa will be fine, barring a major injury he'll be a first round pick next year regardless. The Chargers, OTOH, will have nothing to show for the #3 overall pick. The cost to them is much, much higher. If you're willing to take an aggressive, hardline stance in negotiations, you'd better not be bluffing.

I'll worry about the Chargers when the Pats are scheduled to play them...once every couple of years and if they're lucky in the playoffs.

poor baby.....here's a hanky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back