PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The catch rule doesn't need reviewing until the Patriots benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the czar has it out for the pats..he's just a bad commish..well, unless you are a owner..well except for this yr...

Why should you not have to complete the catch crossing the goal line? You have to every where else. The requisite for a completed pass is actually catching the ball. James did not. The rule is consistent- finally.

It is a very good counterpoint, but he already caught it, ball never moved in his hands, the dive represents the football move, and the tip of the ball crossed the chalk. I also thought dez bryant’s catch and dive was a clear td.

I do agree it is easier to keep the rule as is to be the same all over the field. Was just playing devil’s advocate. I honestly do not know how they can improve the current rule.

It is a very good counterpoint, but he already caught it, ball never moved in his hands, the dive represents the football move, and the tip of the ball crossed the chalk. I also thought dez bryant’s catch and dive was a clear td.

I do agree it is easier to keep the rule as is to be the same all over the field. Was just playing devil’s advocate. I honestly do not know how they can improve the current rule.
There is no “football move” in the current rule. When you fall to the ground, you have not CAUGHT the ball until you hit the ground and do not lose possession. James did not run 3 steps - he turned and fell and dropped the ball. Ref said it was an easy call. The point is, James never caught the ball - end of story.

Except he didn't catch it and it did move in his hands, that's the entire point. Everywhere on the field, the ball has to survive the ground in order for it to be a catch, and if the ball moves in your hands as you go to the ground, then clearly you can't say the ball never moved in the receiver's hands. James doesn't become exempt from these standards just because he was attempting to cross the goal line.

The problem with changing rules according to fan demands is that fans are really, really stupid. They'll hate any new rule just as much as they hate this one.
Not if you replace official review with a fan text vote! #integrity #newRevenueStream

For 90 years of NFL football everyone knew a catch when they saw one. After 10 years of Goodell & the gang that can't shoot straight no one knows what a catch is no matter what they think they saw until NY tells them....and then the tears start flowing. 'Survive the ground' should not be that hard to understand even for a stealers fan smdh
Let's be fair, this has nothing to do with Goodell and his company. It has to do with an omnipresent sports media, an omnipresent social media, and super slo-mo, hi-def, multi-angle instant replay put on a 24 hour loop on ESPN every time someone makes a close call. Those things did not exist for the aforementioned 90 years of football.

Yes, right when the new rule somehow decides a game in pats favor. Then it will need changing again.
This is not some anti-Patriots conspiracy, the very notion makes no logical sense. It isn't like New England has some inherent advantage to the "survive the ground" rule. Any rule change is as likely to benefit us as hurt us.

I like the rule the way it is now. Catch should be hard. Also I think they should change the goalline rules. I don't like this crap when you can dive out of bounds and cross the plane of the end zone with your out stretched arm and the ball.

IDK how they should change that but I just think you should need to get into the end zone to score. Also this thing of catching the ball outside the end zone but your feet in bounds being a TD needs to get change as well.

What about just get the hell in the end zone?

Yeah, Harrison caught the ball

b4hPbPZ.jpg

I have no problems with breaking the plane...

Touchback rule, anyone?

Just look at the SB opening night. It's freaking America's got Talent!!

The sad part, is that the league will cave to public perception.
The RULE IS FINE!!! STOP ALREADY!!!

They didn't want them to beat the Giants.? Who knows?

It maybe that way this year.

If you follow/ believe the BS, that what will be what you see.

I, personally think, the Seagulls are toast.

With the refs on our side, or theirs. Just beat both.
WE ARE NOT DONE YET!!

The Pats will beat them all!!!

I'm old enough to remember no reviews..how did we play the game?

LOL

Welcome aboard @PhillySteaks . I've been impressed with the Eagles this year and I'm looking forward to a great game. It will be interesting to see how we handle the run-pass option and how you guys handle Gronk.

I seem to remember a time many moons ago when a pass wasn't considered a pass if it was thrown underhand, even if it was thrown forward. I think it was called a lateral in the 50's and 60's. You old enough to remember that?

They changed the Tuck Rule.

They are changing the catch rule.

They care about air in balls

They care about where teams place cameras.

They care about how much a receiver is harassed while running their route.

Ridiculous

Well that's not entirely accurate. They seem to tweak it every 2 or 3 years because fans keep complaining about it.
Yup, an ongoing thing. The league looks pretty erratic with its inability to settle on this rule.

And plays like the Pittsburgh one happen all the time outside of the end zone with no big whoop. How many times does an apparent reception and fumble get ruled incomplete these days? (I watched the half hour SB38 rewind Saturday on NFLN, and I wonder if Ricky Proehl's catch and fumble — recovered by the Patriots — would have been ruled an incomplete today.)

This is not some anti-Patriots conspiracy, the very notion makes no logical sense. It isn't like New England has some inherent advantage to the "survive the ground" rule. Any rule change is as likely to benefit us as hurt us.

I disagree.

You always hear other fans talk about how the Patriots always benefit from these rules, and you know what? It's true. It's because we KNOW THE ****ING RULES.

As Brady told the Ravens, "Study the rule book."

Consider the Steelers game. This article talks about "the history" of the catch rule, but it's really just an excuse to vent and cry and whine.

But beyond Riveron’s inconsistencies are other issues with replay reviews. Dungy said coaches now have to instruct players what to do on those questionable plays rather than what comes naturally to them.

“You have to coach that into your player,” Dungy said. “You can’t stretch. You have to go against your instincts.”

The Steelers don’t have specific instruction for receivers regarding the catch rule. When Tomlin was asked this week what he tells his players he was blunt: “Catch the ball.”

The Steelers don’t teach their players how to fall after a catch, but it is something they address during the offseason.

So Dungy has a revolutionary idea. You have to COACH your players. OMG. And the article points out that the Steelers don't teach their players how to fall after the catch.

Meanwhile, on the game-winning TD for New England, Gronk catches a ball down by his toes. Instead of going directly to the ground, you see him roll mid-air so he lands on his back, protecting the ball so it doesn't hit the ground.

Watch Dola on this catch against the Jaguars. He's going to the ground and pulls the ball tight to his body to get his arms and hands under the ball to protect it.

vs.

James who looks like he's going to tuck it, then reaches out, the ball is exposed and his hands are on the sides of the balland by the time it hits the ground, his hands move on top of the ball.

This is the rule. It is what it is.

One team coaches it's players how to minimize the impact of it. One team doesn't coach it at all.

One team consistently benefits from it. One team consistently gets ****ed by stupidity.

The answer should not be to simplify things for fans AND coaches who are NOT DOING THEIR JOB.

Think back to the Jets game and the ASF fumble. Forget the play for a second. Watch Butler when he gets up. He knows he caused the fumble.

He knows the rule. He's coached on this. So was Earl Thomas on a similar play near the goal line. And of course we hear for days how the Patriots always benefit from these types of plays. But then Lombardi talks about how Patriots are coached near the goal line for certain things to avoid these types of plays. You don't stretch across the goal line, you don't stretch to hit the pylon like commentators always tell us you should. Ball possession is too important.

Again, one team knows the rules and coaches specifically to avoid it. A bunch of others don't.

Changing the rules is like changing laws to protect stupid people from doing stupid things. We all lose something due to the stupidest portion of the population.

Possession is one part where the NFL rulebook falls apart a bit. You can't have a rule that covers every eventuality so in the end it just becomes the zebras getting together to throw bones at midfield and conjure spirits to inquire about the unity of man and ball at a given moment.

Last edited:

That’s true. Always strikes me odd when a rule bothers everyone and nothing’s done. Then a few games go the pats way over the rule and the outrage causes that rule to be changed. I don’t view it as conspiracy so much but it is real strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back