PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 300lb "What If" in the corner of the room

Status
Not open for further replies.
TDs are a heavily situational statistic. This year, we've had absolutely no problems passing for TD's. If we were playing on a team that couldn't pass at the goalline I imagine you'd see Maroney with a whole lot of TDs.

Re: The 300lb Draft Blunder in the corner of the room

Oh please it was apparent long ago you are a homer who is in total denial. Morris was the better runner up to this point, period

Running, catching , td's, short yardage you name it.

Btw td's mean everything. Are you slow?

You are ******* dumb if you honestly feel that way. From some accounts Maroney could have played in some of the games that he sat out, but the team was airing on the side of caution. They held him out of the Cincy and Cleveland games partly because they were playing against lousy defenses and could get away with Morris shouldering the load. Maroney outperformed Morris every time they were on the field together, it wasn't until Morris was playing very poor run defenses and LoMo was held out that Morris showed he was "the better runner."

Morris was better than Maroney as a receiver? Sammy, 6 catches for 35 yards. Laurence, 2 for 37. Who had the bigger impact with the ball in their hands?

oh Addai tore us apart because we MISSED tackles. Take away the 73 yard catch and run where he did nothing but run and give 1 little stutter step, and he looked average

what did he do in 2nd half? He didnt tear us up..our D tore itself up. Maroney cant do that? did u watch the Redskins game? Did you watch Bills game..Bengals game last year?

Oh so now its only because we missed tackles. Pretty sure that what good running backa make people do.

I love Sammy Morris. He would be a perfect compliment to a actual star rb. So far Maroney has dissapointed.

Last edited:

Oh so now its only because we missed tackles. Pretty sure that what good running backa make people do.

I love Sammy Morris. He would be a perfect compliment to a actual star rb. So far Maroney has dissapointed.

The Patriots are not dissapointed in him.
Sucks for you.

so i guess Kenny Watson, Wright, Chatman and those backup RBs that ran all over us are just good runners

btw, its funny how Kenton Keith has a better value per play, and success rate than Addai.

look who Morris played well against: Browns & Bengals. go find their run D rank.

against Dallas..nothing till he got hurt. Maroney played Redskins D..which was top 5, same with Colts..Dolphins D was better aswell than the other 2 that Morris ran all over

Last edited:

so i guess Kenny Watson, Wright, Chatman and those backup RBs that ran all over us are just good runners

btw, its funny how Kenton Keith has a better value per play, and success rate than Addai.

look who Morris played well against: Browns & Bengals. go find their run D rank.

against Dallas..nothing till he got hurt. Maroney played Redskins D..which was top 5, same with Colts..Dolphins D was better aswell than the other 2 that Morris ran all over

So if all these crappy backs are tearing it up why cant Maroney?

Good God!
Learn to read and comprehend, please!

they tore our D up. not rest of the league.

u think a RB is responsible for everything once he touches the ball

think about blocking, gameplan, injuries, etc

im pretty sure Maroney would've went over 150 against Redskins if we kept handing it off. We are a passing team. He only got like 14 carries for 75 yards

we dont feed the ball to our RBs over and over like other teams do. Maroney does what hes asked.

4.7 ypc..what else do u want? Thats the same as Addai. Why is Addai considered better than? Because hes gotten the ball nearly twice as many times.

TDs are a heavily situational statistic. This year, we've had absolutely no problems passing for TD's. If we were playing on a team that couldn't pass at the goalline I imagine you'd see Maroney with a whole lot of TDs.

In 2004 when Satan Manning broke the TD record, James rushed for over 1500yrds and 9 Td's. (BTW: 4.6ypc. is about what should be expected of a RB playing on a team with a dangerous passing game.)

The Dolts had no problem passing on the goaline that year either, so that "excuse" is pretty weak.

You guys make sound as though Lo-Mo hasnt had any opportunites to get into the pay dirt this season. That just isnt true; the fact is he just hasn’t made them pay off (yet).

Let’s dive into the numbers after the first 3 games of the season (before he was hurt) for a closer look… I highlighted all of Maroney’s Red Zone touches in “red”. You will see that he had a total of 9 VERY GOOD opportunities to score through the first three games.

Vs. The Jets:

First quarter:

1-10-NYJ 13 (5:31) L.Maroney up the middle to NYJ 11 for 2 yards

(TD Wes Welker)

Second Quarter:

2-10-NYJ 25 (11:16) L.Maroney left end to NYJ 25 for no gain

1-6-NYJ 6 (1:53) L.Maroney left guard to NYJ 5 for 1 yard

2-5-NYJ 5 (1:21) L.Maroney right guard to NYJ 5 for no gain

(TD Ben Watson)

The next time they got into the RZ, they were already up 31-14 following the Hobbs kickoff return, and two strikes to Moss (when Evans banged in his garbage time TD).

Vs. SD Chargers:

1st Quarter

2-4-SD 29 (5:19) L.Maroney left guard to SD 24 for 5 yards

1-10-SD 24 (4:39) L.Maroney left guard to SD 23 for 1 yard

(Moss TD)

2nd Quarter:

1-10-SD 13 (11:48) (No Huddle) S.Morris right guard to SD 11 for 2 yards

3-2-SD 5 (10:41) (No Huddle) S.Morris up the middle to SD 6 for -1 yards

3rd Quarter: (SD opens with a 16 play 8:17 drive, down 24-0! ( IDIOT COACH!) )

7 plays, TD Moss. NE goes up 31-7.

4th quarter: (garbage time)

2-7-SD 9 (4:45) L.Maroney left guard to SD 5 for 4 yards

3-3-SD 5 (4:03) L.Maroney up the middle to SD 3 for 2 yards

He Can’t get it in so...

4-1-SD 3 (3:18) S.Morris left guard for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Vs. The Buffalo Bills:

1-6-BUF 6 (10:20) Maroney up the middle to BUF 7 for -1 yards

1-10-BUF 16 (10:19) L.Maroney left guard to BUF 10 for 6 yards

2-4-BUF 10 (9:47) L.Maroney right guard to BUF 3 for 7 yards

(Brady fumbles on the QB sneak at the GL)

S.Morris gets all of 4- carries on the next series (resulting in a Ben Watson TD catch).

Two-Minute Warning

1-2-BUF 2 (2:00) Vrabel & Seau eligible. H.Evans right guard to BUF 3 for -1 yards

(Brady TD pass to Moss)

3rd Quarter

1-10-BUF 23 (8:17) L.Maroney right end to BUF 8 for 15 yards

1-8-BUF 8 (7:39) (Shotgun) L.Maroney right guard to BUF 1 for 7 yards.

Brady sacked on the next play pushing them back 3 yards.

(3rd and 4 Brady TD to Gaffney, NE goes ahead 24-7)

1-4-BUF 4 (3:29) S.Morris up the middle for 4 yards for the Touchdown (NE 31-7).

49 yard bomb to Moss on the next series puts NE up 38-7. The back ups take over.

Don’t get me wrong... I HOPE Maroney proves me wrong (obviously), and ends up with a more productive career than Addai (when it's all said and done). I just don’t see it happening based on what we have seen up until this point. Hate to pour salt in the Kool-aid, but it's JMO.

Last edited:

they tore our D up. not rest of the league.

u think a RB is responsible for everything once he touches the ball

think about blocking, gameplan, injuries, etc

im pretty sure Maroney would've went over 150 against Redskins if we kept handing it off. We are a passing team. He only got like 14 carries for 75 yards

we dont feed the ball to our RBs over and over like other teams do. Maroney does what hes asked.

4.7 ypc..what else do u want? Thats the same as Addai. Why is Addai considered better than? Because hes gotten the ball nearly twice as many times.

Why does the back who belongs to the number one O in the NFL have no td's?

Except when considering that Keith has played that well. But then, yours are much better.

Those rankings are obviously seriously flawed.

Are you going to sit here and tell me with a straight face that Derrick Ward is a better RB than Clinton Portis or Willie Parker?? :cool:

Come'on man... those rankings are garbage.

Last edited:
Those rankings are obviously seriously flawed.

Are you going to sit here and tell me with a straight face that Derrick Ward is a better RB than Clinton Portis or Willie Parker?? :cool:

Come'on man...

Parker, of the 4.1 YPC? He has two TDs and two fumbles...the type of stats you would be crying about if it were Maroney.

Yes, Ward has been better. Higher YPC, same number of TD's, longer season high run, more catches.

Portis has been decidedly mediocre as well. He has a lower YPC than Ward, lower longest run, fewer 20+ runs on more carries....the only reason he looks respectable is the huge game he had against the Jets.

Parker, of the 4.1 YPC? He has two TDs and two fumbles...the type of stats you would be crying about if it were Maroney.

Yes, Ward has been better. Higher YPC, same number of TD's, longer season high run, more catches.

Portis has been decidedly mediocre as well. He has a lower YPC than Ward, lower longest run, fewer 20+ runs on more carries....the only reason he looks respectable is the huge game he had against the Jets.

If you really think that Ward is a better RB than Clinton Portis or Willie Parker... all I can say is WOW. :eek:

No point in discussing this any further with you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you HONESTLY believe that (I doubt it) then more power to you.

Last edited:
In 2004 when Satan Manning broke the TD record, James rushed for over 1500yrds and 9 Td's. (BTW: 4.6ypc. is about what should be expected of a RB playing on a team with a dangerous passing game.)

The Dolts had no problem passing on the goaline that year either, so that "excuse" is pretty weak.

You guys make sound as though Lo-Mo hasnt had any opportunites to get into the pay dirt this season. That just isnt true; the fact is he just hasn’t made them pay off (yet).

Let’s dive into the numbers after the first 3 games of the season (before he was hurt) for a closer look… .

Maroney was hurt on his 3rd carry of the Jet game. You can see him tapping his helmet to come out. The first 2 carries he ran well. After that he had little burst, and was given time to heal after the Buffalo game. Your argument that the "rankings are stupid" on footballoutsiders is misguided. You may disagree wih their formula, but the analysis of people who have devoted their lives to the analytical study of football is not "stupid". BTW, until Clinton Portis put 196 on the Jets last week, he had had run like garbage this season if you watch the games. Willie Parker is notorious for his running style. He gets stuffed more frequently than any other lead back, and by almost every decent defense. He compensates for that with occasional long runs. Derrick Ward had performed better as a starter on a per carry basis than either of those two players this season. That is why those rankings are useful. They seperate performance from reputation. Maroney is just scratching the surface and the best is yet to come.

Last edited:
If you really think that Ward is a better RB than Clinton Portis or Willie Parker... all I can say is WOW. :eek:

No point in discussing this any further with you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you REALLY believe that (I doubt it) more power to you.

He's having a better season statistically. What are we supposed to go on, how many trading cards you have of these guys? How many games have you seen them play?

Did Portis impress you when we played them? He's a shell of his former self.

Is it now safe to say that we took the wrong RB last year? Does anyone wonder why BB and co. had Maroney rated higher than Joe Addai?

Imagine how much MORE ridiculous this offense would be right now with Addai in our backfield? :mad:

Don’t get me wrong... LM has shown some flashes, but if im being honest with myself, I have to admit that Addai looks to be the MUCH better back.

I know the YPC are similar and LM has missed allot of time with injuries, but im just going by what my eyes tell me.

Thoughts??

I think you are out of your mind. There is no way that a) you can judge which of the 2 is better yet, or certainly will be for a career, or b) can justify your assessment with anything that has happened on the football field.
The only difference between Addai and Maroney is that Addai has had more touches. He hasn't done more with the ones he has had than Maroney has.
On top of that, 1 1/2 years into their careers, you are making a judgment of who is more injury prone?
Ive got news for you. Players (with a few exceptions) are not injury magnets. All players get injuries. Over the course of 1 1/2 years some players incur injuires and others do not, and then the next 1 1/2 years have nothing to do with how many injuries they had the first 1 1/2.
I probably wasn't clear in that last sentence, so I'll give an example.
Player A and Player B each play 8 years and miss a total of 15 games to injury.
The fact that player A missed 6 of them in his first 2 years and player B only missed 1 is absolutely in no way an indication one will miss more than the other going forward. Its ludicrous to say so unless 1) there is a chronic injury or 2) one of the player is not tough and sits out often with minor injuries. I find it hard to believe you are suggesting either of these are the case.

He's having a better season statistically. What are we supposed to go on, how many trading cards you have of these guys? How many games have you seen them play?

Did Portis impress you when we played them? He's a shell of his former self.

No matter how you guys try to spin it... those rankings are flawed (for allot of different reason). You can add and subtract all the statistics in the galaxy... It doesn’t matter.

KENTON KEITH (in reality) IS NOT THE 8TH BEST RB IN THE NFL. PERIOD.

To even suggest that, is absolutely laughable, and I’m sure that the guys who developed those rankings would agree. I find it hard to believe that those rankings are “intended” to be a list of the best RB’s in the league.

But even if you DO want to swear by those rankings as the “Holy Grail” for ranking the Best RB’s in the game, Addai is still ranked #2 on their list!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft