PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 300lb "What If" in the corner of the room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The 300lb Draft Blunder in the corner of the room

I'm not saying that Maroney was a Draft bust. For his Draft spot, he's been very average. I ask you this: When Maroney was hurt, why was Morris pile-driving teams with 100+ yard games? They are both running out of the same offense, right?

1.) Maroney has a better YPC than Morris

2.) Morris had two 100 yard games. # of carries in each? 21

3.) In those two 100 yard games, morris was running against Cleveland and Cincinatti (both bottom 5 vs. rush in ypc).

4.) Maroney has had a 100 yard rushing game this season, against Buffalo on 19 carries

Last edited:

We really dont pound the rock enough to know. Whats the most carries Maroney has had this year?

Granted he has been hurt but our offense just doesnt commit to the run like some others do (Pitt, etc.) And last year he split carries with Dillon. I would like to come out and see us run him 25-30 times late in the year and see how he performs.

Good point. When the track starts getting dicey in the later part of the
season, he will be an integral part of the offense.

4.) Maroney has had a 100 yard rushing game this season, against Buffalo on 19 carries

So your saying that Morris has more 100+ yard games than Maroney...

Wow. Shame on me for not thinking Maroney is the Bees-Knees. Maybe you guys are right. maybe he is better than Addai. :rolleyes:

I'f I try to lie to myself harder... Maybe I will start to believe it eventually.

THIS IS A SCUMMY, disingenuous post. WE are the ones presenting tempered, fair-minded arguments. YOU are the one making sweeping judgments based on an incredibly small sample-size.

There's nothing wrong with being critical of Maroney's durability or of the Patriots in general. There IS, however, something wrong with making HUGE pronouncements and stupid suggestions and then kicking back with that nonsense when people of good will and much better sense than you call you out on your short-sightedness.

Grow some sack and make a REAL argument or leave. Your passive-aggressive nonsense has no place here.

to date Addia has proven to be the better back, but its way to early to determine who will be better when everything is said and done. as a side note, the pats drafted cedric cobbs over michael turner who was still on the board and available.

I think this is ridiculous. Maroney's play on the field is substantially better than the average running back taken with the 21st pick.

You can't compare him to the best players taken after him and then ask "What if?".

Brian Urlacher was taken 9th overall in the 2000 draft. Is he a bust because Tom Brady (taken at 199) would have been a much better selection?

To this point in their careers Joseph Addai has performed better than Maroney. But I don't think that he has been dramatically better. I'm not sure he would have been even slightly better had the Patriots selected him instead of Maroney at #21. Remember that Addai is well suited to Indy's fast playing surface, and the Patriots have an all time great passing game which doesn't depend so much on running backs.

Brady was taken at 199.

To this point in his career he is clearly not a star or a huge bargain. But he was a good pick.

At this point Addai appears to be better

YOU are the one making sweeping judgments based on an incredibly small sample-size.

Games Played:

Maroney: 20

Addai: 23

When will the sample size be large enough for us to start being critical?

Keith looked great for Indy with Addai out.

E James has 3.8 ypc in a bad division in the bad conference.

Conclusion: Indy's O-line and passing game make RBs good, like Denver.

Maroney and Addai have the same YPC now.

Pats style is to use more RBs. Faulk has always gotten a good number of snaps whoever the RB is.

I suspect of Addai were on the Pats, he'd see fewer snaps and carries too.

Conclusion: not much difference between the two in talent, but more in how they are used. Saying they are both "feature" backs is just labeling.

Games Played:

Maroney: 20

Addai: 23

When will the sample size be large enough for us to start being critical?

Be critical all you want. It helps separate the people who know what they're talking about from the Maroney bashers.

Be critical all you want. It helps separate the people who know what they're talking about from the Maroney bashers.

Hey, man...I'm not bashing...I just think that as of 11/9/2007 Addai is the better back.

Maroney (when healthy) is not as good when compared with Addai (again, as of 11/9)

Hell, I hope Lawrence proves to be the better of the two. I really do but right now it's Addai.

Oh here we go. So we dont know what we are talking about or we are Maroney bashers because to this point Maroney has had injury concerns.

Saying that anyone who questions Maroney in a negative way does not know what they are talking about only shows how much of a homer / buffoon you are.

Last edited:

Oh here we go. So we dont know what we are talking about or we are Maroney bashers because to this point Maroney has had injury concerns.

Saying that anyone who questions Maroney in a negative way does not know what they are talking about only shows how much of a homer / buffoon you are.

Anyone who thinks Sammy Morris is a better runner than Laurence Maroney doesn't know what they're talking about. Buffoon.

According to footballoutsiders.com, Maroney is the #9 rb in the NFL in production, despite missing 3 games, and is ranked #3 in success rate per play, behind only Brandon Jacobs among starting rbs. This despite the fact he was clearly hobbled after the 3rd play of the Jets game starting the season, all the way through the conclusion of the Buffalo game. I think his doubters will be more than pleasantly surprised for the rest of the season at his performance. His explosion has clearly returned the last 3 weeks, and he should be even more dynamic following the bye week.

Oh here we go. So we dont know what we are talking about orwe are Maroney bashers because to this point Maroney has had injury concerns.

Saying anyone who questions Maroney in a negative way does not know what they are talking about only shows how much of a homer / buffoon you are.

Not at all. There is always room for legitimate criticism of a player, up to and including Brady. However, you're just a clown with a stick up his ass about Maroney. You don't put forth legitimate arguments, you make idiotic comments. Big difference.

P.S. Addai and Maroney are both averaging 4.7 ypc. But, because that simple truth completely destroys your argument, you choose to ignore it.

Anyone who thinks Sammy Morris is a better runner than Laurence Maroney doesn't know what they're talking about. Buffoon.

Way to dodge the topic. Let me ask you this again. You think anyone who questions Maroney is a "basher" or does not know what they are talking about? You are that much of a homer?

And yes this year , Sammy was the better runner. Prove why Maroney was. Btw talk about something other then ypc. Td's , how he ran, etc etc

What a homer.

Not at all. There is always room for legitimate criticism of a player, up to and including Brady. However, you're just a clown with a stick up his ass about Maroney. You don't put forth legitimate arguments, you make idiotic comments. Big difference.

P.S. Addai and Maroney are both averaging 4.7 ypc. But, because that simple truth completely destroys your argument, you choose to ignore it.

Really? How about total yards? Who has more td's? More carries? Who is better in the red zone? Who is more durable. When has Maroney torn apart a d like Addai did in the first half of the game last week? maroney cant even do what addai did to a sub par defense. With the monster passing game behind him.

Addai is better. Only a homer / bafoon would argue otherwise.

Last edited:

Really? How about total yards? Who has more td's? More carries? Who is better in the red zone? Who is more durable. When has Maroney torn apart a d like Addai did in the first half of the game last week? maroney cant even do what addai did to a sub par defense. With the monster passing game behind him.

Don't worry.
At Cincy last year?
Never happened.

And this is precisely what I mean by you just spewing idiotic comments. New England is doing that fancy "passing" thing this season rather than trying to run the ball in the endzone for the most part. In fact, The Patriots only have 8 rushing touchdowns total, and Cassel and Brady have combined for 3 of those 8. Details, I know.... just details. Eckel has one in garbage time, too, further lowering the rushing touchdown numbers during a 'competitive' time in the game. Morris leads the team with a whopping 3 rushing touchdowns, and Faulk's only rushing touchdown came just this past week against the Colts.

But.... what are facts when you can just scream "Maroney is made of glass!" like a fool, right?

Way to dodge the topic. Let me ask you this again. You think anyone who questions Maroney is a "basher" or does not know what they are talking about? You are that much of a homer?

And yes this year , Sammy was the better runner. Prove why Maroney was. Btw talk about something other then ypc. Td's , how he ran, etc etc

What a homer.

Footballoutsiders ranks Maroney #3 in the NFL, above Morris (#5) and Addai (#7) in success rate, which measures consistency per down. Morris is ranked #12 in the NFL in value per play, Maroney #13, Addai #7. If you watch Patriot games closely, you saw that Maroney was injured on the 3rd play of the 1st game of the season vs. the Jets. He ran with an injured groin for 3 games, and then was given time to recuperate. Since he has returned he has run with explosion and decisiveness. IMO your criticism is cynical and premature. I believe Maroney will prove his doubters wrong from this point forward, and that he will prove to be at the very least the equal of Addai from this point forward in their careers. Maroney is also 2 years younger than Addai, and still developing physically. BB has been very cautious about his development, because he knows Maroney's ceiling is very high. You should have more patience with one of our young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back