PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 300lb "What If" in the corner of the room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another homer in total denial. Your ypc stats stats dont mean crap. Thats all you have! Lomo has no td's , he has yet to have a big game vs BAD defensive teams, he does not catch the ball , and to top it off he is hurt way to much. Yea Lomo has a nice ypc. We also have a monster passing game which gives him the better ypc stat. Thats when the guy actually touches the rock. No td's after nine games for a "star" first round back? With this passing game? Oh please.

I hope he can overcome this. If not he is not a starting back on this team in a few years. We need a guy who is dependable. Woo is a horse. Worthy of being picked in the first round.

Marshawn Lynch is a back worthy of his first round tag. Addai is worthy. Petterson is worthy. Jones frekin Drew who was picked in the second round is better then Maroney right now.

And again, you go with nonsense rather than facts.

Addai has had 20 carries or more in 5 games (Yes, he missed a game due to injury, and might have missed 2 games, but the bye came at the right time. ADDAI IS MADE OF GLASS!), along with a 19 carry and 16 carry game. This is because the Colts don't platoon in the same manner the Patriots do. They don't have a Kevin Faulk on the roster. Now......

In the 7 games Addai has played in, he's gotten only 4 100 yard games, not 7. Shockingly enough, his "big games" are tied to a combination of # of carries and yards per carry, the two things you keep ignoring. So, let's compare the two backs:

Week 1
Addai: : 23 carries 118 yards 5.1 ypc
Maroney: 20 carries 72 yards 3.6 ypc

Week 2
Addai: 20 carries 81 yards 4.1 ypc
Marney: 15 carries 77 yards 5.1 ypc

Week 3
Addai: 22 carries 72 yards 3.3 ypc
Marney: 19 carries 103 yards 5.4 ypc

Week 4
Addai: 19 carries 136 yards 7.2 ypc
Marney: DNP

Week 5
Addai: DNP

Week 6

Week 7
Addai: 16 carries 85 yards 5.3 ypc
Marney: 6 carries 31 yards 5.2 ypc

Week 8
Addai: 23 carries 100 yards 4.3 ypc
Marney: 14 carries 75 yards 5.4 ypc

Week 9
Addai: 26 carries 112 yards 4.3 ypc
Marney: 15 carries 59 yards 3.9 ypc

In other words, in 4 games out of 6 played, Maroney had averaged better than 5 yards per carry. Meanwhile, Addai has averaged better than 5 yards per carry in only 3 out of 7 games played. So, to sum up this little exercise, Maroney has been the more consistently good runner this year, while Addai has had one great game running (7.2 ypc) and been more up and down than Maroney.

Or, in other words, your argument still doesn't hold water.

Last edited:
And again, you go with nonsense rather than facts.

Addai has had 20 carries or more in 5 games (Yes, he missed a game due to injury, and might have missed 2 games, but the bye came at the right time. ADDAI IS MADE OF GLASS!), along with a 19 carry and 16 carry game. This is because the Colts don't platoon in the same manner the Patriots do. They don't have a Kevin Faulk on the roster. Now......

In the 7 games Addai has played in, he's gotten only 4 100 yard games, not 7. Shockingly enough, his "big games" are tied to a combination of # of carries and yards per carry, the two things you keep ignoring. So, let's compare the two backs:

Week 1
Addai: : 23 carries 118 yards 5.1 ypc
Maroney: 20 carries 72 yards 3.6 ypc

Week 2
Addai: 20 carries 81 yards 4.1 ypc
Marney: 15 carries 77 yards 5.1 ypc

Week 3
Addai: 22 carries 72 yards 3.3 ypc
Marney: 19 carries 103 yards 5.4 ypc

Week 4
Addai: 19 carries 136 yards 7.2 ypc

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7
Addai: 16 carries 85 yards 5.3 ypc
Marney: 6 carries 31 yards 5.2 ypc

Week 8
Addai: 23 carries 100 yards 4.3 ypc
Marney: 14 carries 75 yards 5.4 ypc

Week 9
Addai: 26 carries 112 yards 4.3 ypc
Marney: 15 carries 59 yards 3.9 ypc

In other words, in 4 games out of 6 played, Maroney had averaged better than 5 yards per carry. Meanwhile, Addai has averaged better than 5 yards per carry in only 3 out of 6 games played. So, to sum up this little exercise, Maroney has been the more consistently good runner this year, while Addai has had one great game running (7.2 ypc) and been more up and down than Maroney.

Or, in other words, your argument still doesn't hold water.

Those don't matter! Addai has more TDs! :bricks:

Excellent post, Deus.

TD's, the stat that relies almost completely on opportunity and treats the goallines as some sort of mythical creature that must be conquered. That's the stat chosen as superior to all others, apparently. Why are we still discussing this?

Considering mogamedogz breakdown of run plays in the red zone, it looks like Maroney's lack of TDs is due to not being used within the 5 yard line. They'll switch backs at that point. I think this is a coaching choice to use Maroney for his strengths, which is running when the defense is not tightly compressed when close to the goal line.

Maroney doesn't hit that sliver-of-daylight sideways like Dillon used to do and pick up 4 yards when nothing seemed there. Lomo's not really a bruising power back that slams and drives through the line. Morris was able to.

I think Maroney is hitting the holes better this year; not as much dancing; more confidence that he can fit through smaller holes. In my opinion, Maroney is doing good. He gets great yardage, and is a real threat once through the hole. I'm not disappointed.

I like Addai as well. I think he has a bit more power than Maroney. The couple non-Patriot games I saw of Indy, opposing defenses kept repeating the mistake of going for the ball first when tackling Addai. He's too strong for that, and he made them pay with a few extra yards each time.

> That's the stat chosen as superior to all others, apparently. Why are we still discussing this?

Not sure. All I can say is I'm glad our coaching staff doesn't view things as narrowly as that....

Last edited:
Thanks for the honest, unbiased post. Well it's good to hear that somebody outside New England has some positive thoughts on Maroney. I can be honest enough to admit that right now Addai is the better back than Maroney. Addai is more productive and hits the hole more decisively, and more importantly runs the ball with physicality in between the tackles.

That is the one area where I don't feel as confident about Maroney, running in between the tackles. It seems like he's not as good at forcing positive yardage results running into the teeth of the defense. Although Maroney is indeed a big play threat, he does not give me that feeling that I can run him with confidence in goal line or 3rd and short/4th and short situations. In addition Maroney's durability, or lack thereof has worried me. Thus, I am open to the idea of the Patriots drafting another RB in 2008.

Looking on from the outside in. I've always liked LM's running style, it has that home run hitter feel to it. He's struggled with injuries and NE is so potent in the pass, its gonna be hard for him to get 25 carries a game, which just by the nature means his opportunities to get the big one is limited. When Addai ran that pass in before half that seems more like a Maroney play to me. Its a little scary because Maroney, imho, is a guy you need to get out in the flat because he's great in the open field and BB hasn't even got the chance to use that weapontry yet.

As far as production, Addai this year, so far, is one of the best in the league. He is doing things I would have never guessed after 3/4 the way through last season.

You don't need to hear from a Colts fan how good Addai is, but when Maroney is healthy he's very scary.

It's really not a fair comparison at this point due to time and offensive style, so far.

I would guess if NE keeps rolling and Maroney stays healthy that he'll show how good he really is and will be in the discussion as to who are the best backs in the league, but I like the way Maroney runs so I'm biased a bit.

Nothing that hasn't already been said, just echoing it from another teams fans perspective.

Last edited:
Re: The 300lb Draft Blunder in the corner of the room

And let's not forget that Joseph Addai ran against a lot of seven-men boxes, while Maroney was often running against eight or even nine.

Who actually played to stop the run and challenged Randy Moss to beat them?

That doesn't even sound remotely plausible.

Guys that drop back from the box into coverage are still coverage guys.

Do those stats take into consideration the cream puff defenses we have played? While Addai faced much better defensive teams?

I am surprised you guys didn't jump for joy when the surface in Gillette was modified.

So a fast guy gets proportionately faster on turf than a slower guy? I'd like to hear the physics of that.

The surface is the same for all players, so I would assume, barring catastrophic breaks in the gravity-time continuum, that all players get equally faster on turf.

So here's the question: If Maroney was in a space ship going at the speed of light, and a tackler was in another space ship going at the speed of light, would Maroney outrun the guy to the Space Balls reruns on Alpha Centuri?

he hasnt gotten laid out.

Yes he has. Maroney's style leads to injuries. He **has** to be broken of the habit. If he doesn't learn to get low, and get low fast, he's going to have a short career.

Rest assured that they are working on it with him, but the Colts fan had a valid point. Maroney needs to learn and learn fast or he'll get stood up over and over until something breaks apart in his chest or shoulder joints or arm joints.

Upright runners are dead meat in the NFL.

Do those stats take into consideration the cream puff defenses we have played? While Addai faced much better defensive teams?

Like that Denver defense in week four? one of the main points Deus's argument.

I'm sure if Maroney got 19 carries against Denver he would have similar statistics as Addai, probably be averaging over five yards a pop.

Addai has averaged over 4.5 ypc against three teams on the year...

Jacksonville
New Orleans
Denver

Their rush D ranks (according to Football Outsiders)

27th
8th
29th

But if you don't like YPC, lets look at other games he has run well like Carolina and New England. He didn't reach 4.5 YPC, but he still reached 100 yards.

Carolina has the 20th ranked run D and we have the 9th.

He has therefore run well against two defenses worth their salt. And one of those (us) was clearly intent on stopping the pass first. He ran against a nickel D almost the whole game.

I know you don't like stats, but jeez.

Yes he has. Maroney's style leads to injuries. He **has** to be broken of the habit. If he doesn't learn to get low, and get low fast, he's going to have a short career.

Rest assured that they are working on it with him, but the Colts fan had a valid point. Maroney needs to learn and learn fast or he'll get stood up over and over until something breaks apart in his chest or shoulder joints or arm joints.

Upright runners are dead meat in the NFL.

You don't pull a groin because you run upright, which is what has slowed him this year. This "style" didn't cause him to get injured in the Big 10 toting it 40 times a game. Often I think the "tall-runner" thing is overblown but I'm not certain either way.

By the way, I know Addai is made of stone, but everyone realizes he got injured this year too, right? And prob would have missed two games if not for a fortunate bye.

Last edited:
Time for an update, post Colts game.

Addai

22 carries for 56 yards, for a whopping 2.5 ypc

Re: The 300lb Draft Blunder in the corner of the room

Hindsight is a very bad way to look at any draft. We took Bethel Johnson over Anquan Boldin too, so why don't you give us a topic on that?

Sigh... just when I thought time erased this terrible memory...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey