PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

I'm convinced that 6'7" for Goard is off. He was listed at 6'4" in college and was 6036 at the EW Shrine weigh ins.

6'03 and 6/8 is what the NEDraftScout.com Combine spreadsheet has Goard listed as..

If is arms really are 34 inches, that's still a big deal.

Goard's arms are 34" long. And he is 6'03 6/8" tall.. It's only a big deal if he can run routes and catch the ball consistently. And that seems to be one of the knocks on him.. That he can't catch the ball consistently..

Goard's arms are 34" long. And he is 6'03 6/8" tall.. It's only a big deal if he can run routes and catch the ball consistently. And that seems to be one of the knocks on him.. That he can't catch the ball consistently..

From what I've seen (2 games) he can catch, though routes are a good question

taking walter stewart and cameron lawrence for our 2 7th rounders could end up being 2 of the biggest steals in the draft

taking walter stewart and cameron lawrence for our 2 7th rounders could end up being 2 of the biggest steals in the draft

Care to give a brief on Stewart since Mackenzie already did one on Lawrence?

EDIT: I did a quick search and found that Stewart has a cervical spine abnormality that is a red flag. And there seem to be a lot of differing opinions on it. So that will probably be a red flag that takes him off more than a few boards other than as a UDFA (if that).

http://www.drdavidgeier.com/will-spine-defect-keep-walter-stewart-out-nfl-c1-cincinnati-bearcats/

I've scouted Stewart in person. He could pass for 6'6, he's got a great build, and although his straight line quickness is only average, he moves well laterally and is very fluid (kind of like David Bass in that regard). He's pretty versatile, looking pretty comfortable in a two point stance and in coverage. On the downside, he lacks strength, his instincts are terrible, namely against the run, and he has a lot of work to do from a fundamentals standpoint.

By the way, I'm not going to say I'm on the bandwagon, but I'm no longer a detractor of Desmond Trufant. He's made strides this year towards becoming a more complete player.

One thing I would like to mention. Mike Mayock called Dion Jordan a raw Aldon Smith. I don't necessarily disagree with the comparison (Smith is also a bit better against the run). My main point is that there is no good reason that Jordan's fundamentals are this poor to this point in his career. A raw Aldon Smith is Jarvis Moss.

I loved Jamie Collins at the combine. Keep in mind, he's not just a workout warrior. 92 tackles, 20 TFL's, 10 sacks in 2012, and he was playing out of position at defensive end.

I've scouted Stewart in person. He could pass for 6'6, he's got a great build, and although his straight line quickness is only average, he moves well laterally and is very fluid (kind of like David Bass in that regard). He's pretty versatile, looking pretty comfortable in a two point stance and in coverage. On the downside, he lacks strength, his instincts are terrible, namely against the run, and he has a lot of work to do from a fundamentals standpoint.

i think that has a lot to do with the recent position change too he moved to DE at the beginning of this season or maybe last year im not sure but i think he could be a huge steal in the 7th we can give him a year to develop as well since we have pretty good depth at DE even though it isnt all great depth

By the way, I'm not going to say I'm on the bandwagon, but I'm no longer a detractor of Desmond Trufant. He's made strides this year towards becoming a more complete player.

That 3.85 SS was insane. Too bad no 3 cone from him. He's rising for sure.

anyone else think Matthew is going to go off the board a lot higher than most people think? Cant see him lasting to the 5th round which some have predicted. He's overcome his problem with weed, which wasn't a big deal in the first place.

i think someone will take mathieu in the 4th tbh but i would only take him in the 5th or later

i think someone will take mathieu in the 4th tbh but i would only take him in the 5th or later

Didn't Aaron Hernandez fail multiple drug tests due to marijuana use in college? If the player has the talent and ability I'm not sure how concerned BB is about weed, once the player convinces him it's in the past and won't be repeated.

that is true with hernandez but mathieu is an undersized cornerback who struggles in coverage. No doubt he is a great playmaker but how valuable is a great play maker if he struggles making the everyday plays

That 3.85 SS was insane. Too bad no 3 cone from him. He's rising for sure.

I wasn't surprised by his measurables. I'm a film guy. In his junior year and the beginning of his senior year, his feel for the game was just awful, and he wasn't succeeding due to a lack of effort, but he never did a good job of spacing in zone coverage, and he was hopeless reading the eyes of both quarterbacks and receivers, getting bit on hitch routes twice a game. His reactions were just so slow. He went from awful to average in this area as the season went on, and his physical tools made him a net positive as a player. He still has work to do here, but as long as you are seeing improvement, you can rest assured.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back