PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank you Bill

Today is not the day to thank Bill. Not at all. No one is immune from criticism who is a public figure, makes 20 million per year and has not been meeting expectations.
Save the thank yous for when he leaves.
Criticism does not equal whining…foolish to think so.
This js a forum to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly not spout blind worship
nonsense.
The performance of the team and Bill this year deserves to be panned
Of course it’s whining. It accomplished nothing and it is just a childish emotional response to feeling entitled.
If you think belichick should be fired by all means state your opinion but stating it 1000 different times in 1000 different ways is whining.

Bill hasn’t passed away or left the organization.
Seriously. That sounded like an obituary entry. Here lies a once great coach and his tombstone reads, "Do your job!"

Of course it’s whining. It accomplished nothing and it is just a childish emotional response to feeling entitled.
If you think belichick should be fired by all means state your opinion but stating it 1000 different times in 1000 different ways is whining.
BB should be let go at the end of this season.

If legitimate criticism is whining then refusal to ever acknowledge team short comings is pitiful cheerleading that will never lead to turning things around.
Criticism and acknowledgement of the source of poor play is the first step to improvement.

Maybe Bill should take a sabbatical for the rest of the season. It’s in the team’s best interest to lose out and that is not in Bill’s nature.

Let him recharge his batteries and find a new lady friend.

BB always says he does what's best for the football team. If he truly lives by those words, he'd remove himself from personnel decisions. The roster is poorly constructed so the best thing for the football team would be for him to step down as GM.

Yep. Thanks for all you’ve done for the organization. I wish you would have given up the GM duties a while ago and focused more on the coaching aspect of the game.

Maybe Bill should take a sabbatical for the rest of the season. It’s in the team’s best interest to lose out and that is not in Bill’s nature.

Let him recharge his batteries and find a new lady friend.
Honestly, it is kind of funny that he lost a relationship with a cougar who could obviously keep up with him just to have front row seats for the ****show that is the 2023 Pats.

I'll give you the flip side imo:

How many other coaches/gms gave their great QB a good-to-great team almost every year of their career together? Payton absolutely sank Brees. Tomlin effed the Rapisst. Dungy massively underachieved with Manning. The biggest loser is how Shula failed Marino, which is quadruple worse since he had no cap restraints back then. There's such a laundry list of "legendary" coaches who managed to stink several seasons in spite of having great QB play.

There's no world in which I don't appreciate BB not wasting a QB like Brady.
Tom and Bill were the perfect storm. It was a QB with complete respect for authority being coached by an authoritarian. Both were also talented, big brained workaholics. And to top it off, money wasn't as much of an issue for Tom as other QBs, which fit very nicely into Bill's philosophy. Throw in Kraft's hands off approach and there you have it, a dynasty.

But that was yesterday and yesterday's gone. Now we need Kraft to do what we hope will be right for the team. I never thought it was about Bill the coach nearly as much as it was about Tom the player, so I'm not as reluctant to let Bill go and welcome a new approach. Incredible as this may sound, Deion could be a great big breath of fresh air.

It's a lot to ask for a 71 year old to be both GM and HC. I really don't think BB will agree to be HC only and the team desperately needs to catch up to the rest of the league's offensive philosophy so I think this is probably the end of the line.

He's a first ballot HOF lock, 6 time SB champion as head coach and was extremely successful over 2 decades. Helped a lot of course that he had the GOAT QB but to last for more than 2 decades he had to be doing something right. His legacy is intact. No shame in walking away now (and by now I mean when the season ends whenever that is) to a well deserved retirement.

Last edited:

If legitimate criticism is whining then refusal to ever acknowledge team short comings is pitiful cheerleading that will never lead to turning things around.
Criticism and acknowledgement of the source of poor play is the first step to improvement.
Booing and criticizing the managers, coaches and players is as much a part of American pro sports as mom's apple pie. It always has been and always will be.

As for Bill himself, he got a long rope and deserved it, but we don't need to hang along side him now.

It's a lot to ask for a 71 year old to be both GM and HC. I really don't think BB will agree to be HC only and the team desperately needs to catch up to the rest of the league's offensive philosophy so I think this is probably the end of the line.

He's a first ballot HOF lock, 6 time SB champion as head coach and was extremely successful over 2 decades. Helped a lot of course that he had the GOAT QB but to last for more than 2 decades he had to be doing something right. His legacy is intact. No shame in walking away now (and by now I mean when the season ends whenever that is) to a well deserved retirement.
What are the pros and cons of Bill leaving now? At first I was feeling like the earlier the better but now I'm not sure.

The Pats won so much that there's not a lot of pressure so I wouldn't mind a change. I still get a grin on my face when I think of how astounding the B&B years were. There it is now... :D

Great Players >>>> great coach. Every time.

Subpar coaches can be carried by great players. Great coaches cannot carry subpar talent. Case in point.

Now the question is did Bill hold back Brady in the last decade? I can think of 2 more rings that Bill torpedoed for his team…because he’s just smarter than everyone else. Everyone knows that. I mean…benching Butler made no sense to everyone except one person but Bill gonna Bill.
You can always change one thing in a timeline and assume it would come out differently without considering everything else could also change.
Its possible they won that SB vs the eagles.. Its also possible they lost another somewhere like the rams SB . But lets ignore they held the rams to 13 pts because Brady did that or flores .
Its hard to win 6 rings. We have just gotten so spoilt that now we are turning on coach for 2 more SB! Guess what , even then today we would be calling for his head.
About Great players >>> great coach
Guess who has said it repeatedly , but has been totally ignored

You can always change one thing in a timeline and assume it would come out differently without considering everything else could also change.
Its possible they won that SB vs the eagles.. Its also possible they lost another somewhere like the rams SB . But lets ignore they held the rams to 13 pts because Brady did that or flores .
Its hard to win 6 rings. We have just gotten so spoilt that now we are turning on coach for 2 more SB! Guess what , even then today we would be calling for his head.
About Great players >>> great coach
Guess who has said it repeatedly , but has been totally ignored

Nah nobody is turning on anyone.
BB has a job just like everybody else and he's been mediocre since Tom left
This year so far has been abysmal
Of course people would want accountability. If he didn't have equity from the previous glory years he'd be gone by now

Going for it on 4th and 13 instead of a 48 yard fg in Super Bowl 42. 3 pt loss. This is the worst of all of them.

Benching his own player (Welker) for a series in 2010 playoff game loss to Jets.

Bailed out in 2014 SB after making worst statistical clock management decision ever by not calling timeout after Lynch run.

Not playing to win in 2015, treating the last game as an exhibition and squandering HFA to Denver, then after game saying it doesn’t matter who gets #1 seed, then losing AFCCG because of crowd noise.

Benching Butler in SB52, likely costing the team a 3 peat.

Putting Gronkowski on field at safety at end of Miami game in 2018. Despite ridiculous loss, team won SB.
So nothing +ve in the 20 yrs then which helped them win ?. He was Rick cotite who lucked into 20 yrs of players and coaches who carried him ? Unreal. We have really gotten the frustrations gotten out of hand. :(

Nah nobody is turning on anyone.
BB has a job just like everybody else and he's been mediocre since Tom left
This year so far has been abysmal
Of course people would want accountability. If he didn't have equity from the previous glory years he'd be gone by now
I am not saying he is not accoutable and we probably need a change . But saying he cost us games and SBs is really piling on during a difficult season.
He is great coach who had a great staff and players and now he isnt that. Both can be true.

I am not saying he is not accoutable and we probably need a change . But saying he cost us games and SBs is really piling on during a difficult season.
He is great coach who had a great staff and players and now he isnt that. Both can be true.
Yeah we don't know what would have happened.
People are just frustrated

Wait you actually think that you have an impact? For real? Wow

You literally are nothing more than a cheerleader and you are bad at it too.

Going for it on 4th and 13 instead of a 48 yard fg in Super Bowl 42. 3 pt loss. This is the worst of all of them.

Benching his own player (Welker) for a series in 2010 playoff game loss to Jets.

Bailed out in 2014 SB after making worst statistical clock management decision ever by not calling timeout after Lynch run.

Not playing to win in 2015, treating the last game as an exhibition and squandering HFA to Denver, then after game saying it doesn’t matter who gets #1 seed, then losing AFCCG because of crowd noise.

Benching Butler in SB52, likely costing the team a 3 peat.

Putting Gronkowski on field at safety at end of Miami game in 2018. Despite ridiculous loss, team won SB.
Let's also not forget the Stephen Jackson game in Miami and taking the wind in OT vs the NYJ, both head scratching decisions with the #1 seed on the line. 2015 was probably when I started questioning Bill the Coach's decision-making. Win either of those games and you play the AFC Championship at home instead of in Denver (a game the Patriots lost by 2). Completely non-sensical decisions from Bill the Coach. Against Miami, the Patriots ran 29 offensive plays and ran the ball 22 times in the first half and trailed 10-3 to a Miami club that would finish 6-10. They sucked running the ball in 2015. I remember blowing a gasket about that game on this forum. The Bill bobos said they had to get Stephen Jackson established and get the running game going. OK, so you basically throw the ****ing Miami game to get him "going"?
Against Denver the Pats backs ran 14 times for 31 yards....so what was the point of the Miami game again? And don't get me started on the Jets game when the moron "took the wind" and Ryan Fitzpatrick shoved it down his throat against Bill the Coach's grossly overrated defense to the tune of 3-3-78 and a TD. There are a myriad of head scratchers in Bills career as HC of the NEP....we've only listed a few.
Bill the Coach got pantsed by Todd Bowles and Dan Campbell in consecutive weeks.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back