PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tebow working on zone-read plays in practice (EDIT: and "catching passes" too)

Tim Tebow lines up as personal protector on punt team ... Rookie DE Michael Buchanan shows up with a few nice rushes/batted pass.

Here you go.....

hehehehe /headshake. A "ring" is just a memento signifying that a game was won. Granted, it's the championship game, but it's still just winning a game.

Like I already said you need to win more than one game to win a championship. There are other games that you need to win to get to the SB you know.

IF you take the position that QBs absolutely shouldn't be judged by wins and losses, because it's a "team game",

I'm saying wins and losses are not a QB stat, they are a team stat. With said QB being part of the team and helping to contribute to that win.

In other words, I'm simply stating what is fact.

And if you would like to think that wins are a QB stat then clearly you are agreeing that Peyton manning as Broncos starting QB is far superior to Tim Tebow as Broncos starting QB, thus the Broncos made the right decision last winter. :)

Tim Tebow lines up as personal protector on punt team ... Rookie DE Michael Buchanan shows up with a few nice rushes/batted pass.

Here you go.....

Nothing else, huh? Hmm.

How bad did Tebow suck today? Did he suck at receiving and quarterbacking? Or just one or the other? What a train wreck his fan club is.

How bad did Tebow suck today? Did he suck at receiving and quarterbacking? Or just one or the other? What a train wreck his fan club is.

Hey Fawn - You have big fans over here as you can imagine. Anyway, Timmy looked good on special teams tonight so there is that....

I was at the Ale House earlier. Just so we get a clear picture of the tweets from today. I think I got all of them related to Tim, but perhaps not...

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 5h
Here's the mandatory Tim-Tebow-first-player-out-for-practice Tweet. Playing catch with Danny Amendola.

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 4h
This is not a joke. Tebow is lined up at punt protector right now. Kill me now.

Tebow with back to back long TD passes to Slater and Sudfeld. Not gonna lie, his ball looks decent. Sudfeld smooth as hell

QB drills. This is the best situation ever for Tebow. Brady and Mallett push the hell out of him. He does everything they do

Tebow with perfect 45 yd strike to Quinton Sims. Meh.

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 3h
Tebow spoiled as hell right now. Hitting Amendola and Boyce on back to back beautiful plays. Good luck covering Boyce.

Tebow time. Perfect strike to Ford. Ford drops it. Next play, Tebow sacked by Hightower like it was 2008 at the Georgia Dome.

Fans cheering on Tebow right now as punt protector. Kinda funny.

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 2h
Mallett with the pass of the day to Jenkins. 35 yards down right sideline splitting 2 DBs. Tebow tried same play. Hilarity ensued

Chandler Jones and Connolly go to the fans. And here comes Tebow. Great stuff.

What's the point? None, really. Belicheck010405 just irritated me cherry picking a bad Tebow play tweet or two and I couldn't respond with my Iphone from the Ale House.

Tebow is not a great quarterback. Not even close. His fans know that. We are just happy he has a chance to play with the best QB in the history of the game and maybe learn enough to be able to stay in the NFL and apply it when he comes back to Florida to coach. He will definitely be a badass recruiter for UF haha.

I understand all you haters, Belicheck010405, and that's cool. But come Jan, 2014 when the Pats are trying to get ready for Seattle, San Fran or Washington... there is not going to be a better third string QB in the league to get Wilfork, Collins, Spikes and Dennard ready for the big game than Tim Tebow.

Hell, maybe they will make him room with Gronkowski and Dennard that week just to make sure nothing stupid happens...

I was at the Ale House earlier. Just so we get a clear picture of the tweets from today. I think I got all of them related to Tim, but perhaps not...

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 5h
Here's the mandatory Tim-Tebow-first-player-out-for-practice Tweet. Playing catch with Danny Amendola.

This is not a joke. Tebow is lined up at punt protector right now. Kill me now.

Tebow with back to back long TD passes to Slater and Sudfeld. Not gonna lie, his ball looks decent. Sudfeld smooth as hell

QB drills. This is the best situation ever for Tebow. Brady and Mallett push the hell out of him. He does everything they do

Tebow with perfect 45 yd strike to Quinton Sims. Meh.

Tebow spoiled as hell right now. Hitting Amendola and Boyce on back to back beautiful plays. Good luck covering Boyce.

Tebow time. Perfect strike to Ford. Ford drops it. Next play, Tebow sacked by Hightower like it was 2008 at the Georgia Dome.

Fans cheering on Tebow right now as punt protector. Kinda funny.

Mallett with the pass of the day to Jenkins. 35 yards down right sideline splitting 2 DBs. Tebow tried same play. Hilarity ensued

Chandler Jones and Connolly go to the fans. And here comes Tebow. Great stuff.

What's the point? None, really. Belicheck010405 just irritated me cherry picking a bad Tebow play tweet or two and I couldn't respond with my Iphone from the Ale House.

Tebow is not a great quarterback. Not even close. His fans know that. We are just happy he has a chance to play with the best QB in the history of the game and maybe learn enough to be able to stay in the NFL and apply it when he comes back to Florida to coach. He will definitely be a badass recruiter for UF haha.

I understand all you haters, Belicheck010405, and that's cool. But come Jan, 2014 when the Pats are trying to get ready for Seattle, San Fran or Washington... there is not going to be a better third string QB in the league to get Wilfork, Collins, Spikes and Dennard ready for the big game than Tim Tebow.

Hell, maybe they will make him room with Gronkowski and Dennard that week just to make sure nothing stupid happens...

I Like Stories - YouTube

Big Wheel. Thanks for that. Quickly reading through posts, I was ready to call it a night thinking Tebow washed out Day 4 and the rest of the offense had a horrible day. It wasn't Joe Montana or Tom Brady; but, sounds like there is improvement with QB3?

Well, it was all the QBs and receivers. With the exception of a pick-6 on a great defensive play Brady and Mallet both made some awesome throws.

As far as Tim helping out the D on the scout team, that didn't come from me. Hello Mr Kraft...

A Gift For Greeny - ESPN Video - ESPN

If you just want the cliff-notes of the ESPN video... in the words of Robert Kraft...

"Here's a young man who is hard-working, puts team first, uh, everybody who knows him likes him and we didn't have a third string quarterback. So here's a chance for us to get a very experienced, special guy who can come in and be part of our team. You know I think sometimes our fans forget that the person who runs the scout team every week is usually the 2nd or 3rd quarterback. You know he's a running quarterback, he's mobile, and he's a great team guy and I think he does whatever the coaches ask him to do and works hard."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...4-patriots-training-camp-day-four-page11.html

I'll defer to Joker and Tunescribe who actually watched practice tonight.

Defer all you want. I read both Joker's and Tunescribe's comments and neither bare much relation to the bull**** that you keep spewing on the page.

Here's Tune's comments:

* Tebow just can't muster consistency with his mechanics. They're perfect when he's playing catch before practice, become erratic while throwing in drills and then go AWOL against a defense. I think at this point what we're seeing with this guy is what you're going to get, which is non-NFL caliber QB play. Held his own at punt protector, though.

Since its been demonstrated that you have problems with comprehension, I'll translate for you.

"can't muster consistency with mechanics" = some throws are good, perhaps even really good, other throws are bad, perhaps even really bad.

Where I would disagree with him is his assessment that this is Tebow's ceiling.

Now let's look at Joker's comments, seeing as how you referenced them as well.

Let's just say, for you Tebowers, that the jury is still out but it doesn't look good. His reads are molasses like and he has a real problem on throws to his right. It's accuracy. He does not have consistent accuracy and in this offense a QB needs THAT more than anything else. He's got a lot of work ,and I mean a real lot of work, to do for him to stick.

Hmmm, seem to recall that people said the same thing about Mallet not all that long ago. You know, a young and inexperienced QB having trouble with reads and with being consistent and accurate.

Damned if all of those problems aren't things that coaches try to fix while DEVELOPING a young QB.

But let's look at some further comments made by Joker:

yeah, on Tebow...and let me say right up front, there's no sense in making any definitive type of judgement right now, IMO.... BUT...what experience I have over the years watching NFL QB's, there are certain things you can see right away...one is dropping the ball from the kokked position at the shoulder...look at it this way...the three QB's are in rotation...Brady gets the snap, kokks, throws to the right...to the middle...to the left. Mallett has the same mechanics.Brady reads and gets the ball off in these reps to the open receiver..bang!...Mallett struggles a bit here and there but for the most part works his progressions... Tebow consistently holds on to the ball longer, sometimes to a preposterous 10 second count trying to make the proper read. To me that's all scheme. The other two know it, he's learning it. I don't think that's unusual and I think TT is a bit frustrated with himself.

Seems to be a reference to the fact that it's Tebow's 3rd practice in a new system with a new playbook. This is something that will improve with TIME and with REPS.

Joker continued:

In the live O/D sets with live rush and secdondary pressure, Brady makes a stark jump up from Mallett. I remarked to Tunes.."man, look at Mallett...live bullets and he looks nervous and rushed". Tebow has better composure IMO but here's the thing, a number of times he dropped into the pocket and 1...2...3...4...5...the rush is already on him in 3...and more than a couple of times he broke to his left and ran it upfield. Yes, that's making a play BUT that is not what the coaches are looking for in these drills...they want drop, set , progression read, throw...bang bang bang. I want to see TT in another week. I want to see him in the scrimmages with Tampa Bay if he does make it that far. My feeling is he will but I can tell you, I am in a decided minority if today's audience was any indication. You see, defensive reads are one thing and I understand why they're slow but the mechanical flaws are something else. He drops the ball down to his waist when he cannot get the read,and then when running, winds up his throwing motion while throwing off balance a bit...by that I mean he does not step INTO the throw when he's on the move...the ball tips up in the front and tends to sail when he goes to the left. To the right, well...I focused on him as you probably can tell and saw every throw he made to his right.It's not good. He's not accurate with the WR downfield and he cannot throw to a sideline window to the left shoulder of the receiver. He missed every throw in that direction and some just complete flubs. it's a mechanical problem and I think they intend on working it and working it because he got plenty of reps.

The first part of this passage notes a difference in style of play at the position. Brady and Mallet aren't going to take off running. Neither of them will really scramble all that much either. SO yeah, it's 1,2, 3 then get rid of the ball. With Brady, it really doesn't matter if he throws the ball away on 1st and 10.

Tebow ? He tries to make plays. IF he doesn't see an open receiver, he buys time in the pocket. Depending on the pressure, sure, he will tuck the ball and run. The question rightly is, what do the coaches want him to do, AND, if they want him to change, will he be able to.

Again, these are things that will be worked on while he sits as QB#3.

An article from Boston.com has a realistic take on it:

Patriots Talking Points: Tim Tebow may be ?catching passes,? but he?s strictly a QB - Patriots - Boston.com

McDaniels said Tebow is still learning the complex offense and taking it all in. He knows Tebow well from their days together in Denver, so Tebow may be judged on more of a macro basis than on how well he performs in a particular practice. The realistic approach with Tebow is for the Patriots to see if he can develop into a solid backup quarterback, which would allow the team to trade Ryan Mallett before his contract expires after the 2014 season.

Like I already said you need to win more than one game to win a championship. There are other games that you need to win to get to the SB you know.

I'm saying wins and losses are not a QB stat, they are a team stat. With said QB being part of the team and helping to contribute to that win.

In other words, I'm simply stating what is fact.

And if you would like to think that wins are a QB stat then clearly you are agreeing that Peyton manning as Broncos starting QB is far superior to Tim Tebow as Broncos starting QB, thus the Broncos made the right decision last winter. :)

Dude, IF wins and losses aren't a QB stat, but rather a team stat, again, it follows that Championships and SB rings aren't a QB stat either, but rather a team stat.

You want to say that to win a Championship you have to win more than one game. Repeat that a couple of times. "..... win more than one game".

Great, three or 4 games have to be won in the playoffs. That means going 3-0 or 4-0. BUT, you said that W-L isn't a QB stat. Ergo, the TEAM going 4-0 in the playoffs to win a Championship shouldn't move a QB up a slot on the GOAT list because according to you, those are TEAM wins and not QB stats.

You can't have it both ways with the position you are taking.

Dude, IF wins and losses aren't a QB stat,

Stop with the "if" BS. There's no "if". Wins and losses are not, never were, and never will be a QB stat. They are a team stat. Period.

it follows that Championships and SB rings aren't a QB stat either, but rather a team stat.

Yes. But when you hear people compare some of the great QB's that have played it is interesting that you'll hear a lot more talk about how many rings they have than their so called "win-loss record".

W-L for QBs means nothing to me or anyone else other than a very tiny minority of uninformed football fans.

Tebow did not "win 9 games". Fact. Tebow did not beat the Steelers. Fact. The Broncos did. Fact again.

Great, three or 4 games have to be won in the playoffs. That means going 3-0 or 4-0.

Nope, the team has also won 10 or more games even before that to get to the playoffs. The point is a championship is a waaaaaay bigger body of work than just one individual game.

BUT, you said that W-L isn't a QB stat. Ergo, the TEAM going 4-0 in the playoffs to win a Championship shouldn't move a QB up a slot on the GOAT list because according to you, those are TEAM wins and not QB stats.

I do not recall saying Brady needs one more ring to move up a slot on the GOAT list. If he does get another ring, and we're talking about GOAT, I think it does say something in his favor that he would have 4 SB rings on his fingers and other than Belichick he was the one constant when the team around him has almost completely turned over their roster over his career. But you will never hear an informed football fan say "he won those SB games". His team did, and he was a key part of that team.

When informed football fans say a QB like Tebow "is a winner" they are talking about his positive intangibles, his positive attitude and the positive qualities he brings to the table as a leader. They are not talking about a meaningless W-L record that only the most ignorant or biased football fans would use as a barometer of how good a QB is.

Now...enough of the "QB's win" BS. Thanks.

Third string quarterback. :bricks:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back