Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tebow working on zone-read plays in practice (EDIT: and "catching passes" too)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Shockt327, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1

...according to Gresh; who's on-location at the Pats practice, at Gillette.

So, I was about to post how relieved I was to hear that Tebow was doing the zone-read stuff. Mostly because I thought it meant keeping him at QB; within a style of offense that suits him *if* he ever has to play ( i.e. run-first, not trying to re-mold into a pocket-passer). I'm not a believer in fitting a square peg in a round hole. Keep running the zone-read with him.

But! Then I just heard Gresh update it to point out that Tebow was catching passes too. Gresh said not to read too much into it. Personally? I hope they won't make a TE out of him. Not sure if the "catching passes" comment meant within actual plays, or at the TE position. I wish he said more.
  2. Oinko

Oinko Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

It wasn't running routes or plays to catch passes. It was a drill before 11 on 11.

And "zone read" is just a play concept. It's the effective action to run the ball out of shotgun.. It replicates the effectiveness of play action pass if the QB can put the ball in the belly of a back before throwing -- because it can simulate a hand-off, or the quarterback can pull it back and run what is analogous to a bootleg out of under center.

For as long as he plays, Tebow will always run plays that have the look of "zone read" out of shotgun. It's a mistake when commentators act like it's a whole magic offense that's worth bringing him in off the bench for.
  3. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

seriously Im not posting this to be an ******* but there is a training camp thread. I really don't want the forums to turn into tebow mania so can we keep all training camp related news that isn't injury related in there. Again not being an ******* but I and I think many other posters would like a single thread where we can discuss all training camp news in one place instead of having 6 different threads.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Not sure how Gresch could have seen this as he was whyning and bytching about being in the bowels of Gillette, because of the Taylor Swift Concert...
  5. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

There are exactly ZERO plays that it is worth benching Brady to bring in Tebow.

6. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -7

#12 Jersey

100% correct.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

But if, God forbid, Brady gets hurt then there are times we might want Tebow in for Mallett.
  8. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -7

#12 Jersey

Not a Swift fan, but I'm guessing on the Gillette social register, she's a couple of pegs higher than Andy. Plus, he has an uncommon familiarity with bowels.
  9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +897 / 16 / -24

No Jersey Selected

Hahahaha. Good luck with that. The TC thread has already turned into All-Tebow, all the time.
  10. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1

Not quite sure what you are trying to address or correct, but...

A Zone-read allows an opposing DE to be unblocked. This creates a blocking mismatch in favor of the O. If the unblocked DE cuts-in and closes in on the RB; the QB simply keeps the ball and runs off tackle. If the DE stays at home, the ball is handed off to the RB who, again, has a numbers mismatch in his favor....

EDIT: And yes, this is a concept that is pretty far removed from what NE has done in the past on O. I don't recall any reports of them doing this in the past in practice (certainly never in a game). Saying it's akin to a simple bootleg really isn't true; totally different blocking...
  11. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -6

#50 Jersey

If the Patriots need a back-up for the back-up, they'll be in deep trouble and the street free agent market will include guys with more experience and who are better passers than Tim Tebow.

There are guys like Tarvaris Jackson, Vince Young, Tyler Thigpen, Jordan Palmer, etc. still without a team right now, and another 30-plus guys soon to be available when cut downs begin. What's Charlie batch doing? He was superb for the Steelers last season.

I'm sorry, but I don't get this Tebow experiment at all. The sooner he gets cut the better.
  12. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -1

Cue the Jets fans calling about a Tebow media circus.

I wouldn't read too much into what goes on early in training camp. Remember when everyone was saying the Pats were switching to an one gap 4-3 a few years back because of practices in the first few days of camp.
  13. Banjo

Banjo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Awesome. I hope and pray Tim Tebow succeeds and is a Patriot for life.

It's time to turn the NFL upside down and score two points after every touchdown! Tim Tebow can get it done!
  14. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +177 / 5 / -12

Down 44-0, the entire offensive line is injured, playing against a team of super human pass rushers.

Let's bring in Tebow.
  15. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

How 'bout UP 44-0 versus a chippy defense? :)
  16. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +177 / 5 / -12

Brady getting pointless stats at the end of blowout victories are one of my guilty pleasures.

And I don't really feel all that guilty.
  17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Isn't the other team supposed to stop them???:)
  18. Brady6

Brady6 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +633 / 75 / -118

#12 Jersey

Not to :deadhorse: but who really cares? It's day one of practice; no need to start an entire thread over our 3rd string QB playing catch. Tebow's best shot to make the roster is to fly under the radar and work hard, if he becomes a distraction to the team, or is being above the rest of his teammates I could see him singing 'Our God is an Awesome God" all the way to the gate at Logan Airport.
  19. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

FYI,

The option red zone work came in the opportunity session at the end of the regular practice.

And the catch came in a drill that seemed to be geared toward the D stripping the ball. One WR would line up against 2 DBs
  20. Brady6

Brady6 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +633 / 75 / -118

#12 Jersey

Do you guys remember when Vollmer caught this punt at practice and we all thought he was going to be our next PR?

Sebastian Vollmer catches punt - YouTube

:hijacked: