PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TC observations & Analysis: Tuesday session

Status
Not open for further replies.
... My opinion of Scott O’Brien, ST coach is really going lower and lower every year- this guy is a screamer. He shouts. He doesn’t get his point across man-to-man, or confer individually or privately, he yells at you from 10 yards away. Consequently I have seen nothing to impress me on ST- the punt coverage unit isn’t really 100% there. This may be judgmental but I am willing to wager that this is a result of the manner in which he corrects those players, in the worst possible way.

Thanks for the excellent writeup!

Surprised to read this about our ST coach. How are other coaches correcting their players?

The other thing that really flew under the radar yesterday, is the continued development of Ryan Mallet.

It had to be crushing for Mallet to fall so far in the draft, but in the long run I have to think that flying under the radar is the best thing that could have happened to him. If he had been a 1st-round pick with the franchise's immediate future on his shoulders, he would be the non-stop focus of media, fans, coaches and teammates. This way, he's just a football player and can focus on football. Great to hear your positive report on both his skills and his leadership.

The more I see of Mallet, the more I see that he really is going to be Brady’s successor. I have to admit this is bittersweet to me. On the one hand, we have an extremely gifted QB shooting up the ranks and by all early indications will not miss a beat once he steps in- but when he does it will have meant that a glorious chapter has come to a close.
While I wouldn't be greatly disappointed in a Montana to Young type situation, emotionally, I'm not ready to go there yet and I'd have to see a significant droppoff from Brady to even consider thoughts of it.

but, very positive to hear the news on Mallet and I hope Hoyer has a GREAT preseason...for trade value after or durign the season.

Thanks for the excellent writeup!

Surprised to read this about our ST coach. How are other coaches correcting their players?

That's how Westoff does it for the Jets. The ST coaches are all maniacs.

Having practiced, he is ineligible for the PUP list.

Vereen practiced. He is not eligible for PUP unless they changed the rules..

Nope, that's my bad - for some reason I was thinking someone injured in camp could go on PUP. Live and learn, thanks. :)

And thanks to Patspsycho for the camp report.

Awesome report. Thank you very much!

The more I see of Mallet, the more I see that he really is going to be Brady’s successor. I have to admit this is bittersweet to me. On the one hand, we have an extremely gifted QB shooting up the ranks and by all early indications will not miss a beat once he steps in- but when he does it will have meant that a glorious chapter has come to a close.
Great information, thanks! I'm thrilled that Mallet is progressing so well. I wouldn't be concerned about him beating out Brady anytime soon, as TC drills are quite different than game conditions and dealing with and interpreting tendencies of the defense when the bullets are live. The fact that the physical and executive parts are coming so quickly to Mallet is really encouraging. This enables the team to substitute with a quality guy should the unspeakable happen. Depth continues to be the hallmark of this team.

Nice write up, though I think you're wrong about Vereen.

or... I certainly hope you're wrong on him.

The other thing that really flew under the radar yesterday, is the continued development of Ryan Mallet. He was firing on all cylinders, hitting all his receivers, and has again demonstrated to me the Brady-like ability to intuitively grasp the offense. He doesn’t have the fine-tuned master’s command that Brady does, but he grasps the meaning, the philosophy of the offense. He has even got to the point where he is correcting other players on their alignments- he scolded Ridley on a weakside HB alignment (apparently supposed to be strongside to dual-read, if I got that right). He also corrected Yeatman’s Y slot (backed him off LOS), and later on in the RZ drill found Yeatman on a drag and did the proverbial through the eye of the needle to beat the man coverage, after which he went up to Yeatman, whooping, banged helmet and chest bumped, and slapped him everything short of physical abuse.

I knew he was gunna do well...i think teams are going to be kicking themselves for not drafting him

Where does Ellis fit? His salary tells me he's going to get significant snaps, which would mean not the same position as Wilfork and Haynesworth. Yet, he's much closer to the size of a Mike Wright than an Eric Moore.

Could be a 3-4 DE on early downs and/or a sub rusher on third downs. Maybe he moves inside to replace Wilfork on passing downs. That would make him kind of redundant with Mike Wright but we don't know if Wright has returned to form after that injury last year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes