PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tavon Wilson - Lightning Rod o'Controversy (Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » Draft wizard Corey Chavous weighs in on Pats picks

According to Corey Chavous of Draftnasty.com: "He was a pretty good leader for the team when they had injury problems. He moved to safety seemlessly. I think he’s going to be good for the secondary out there, I really do. I think he has a lot of potential. His best football is ahead of him. I always thought his best work would be at corner, but then when I saw him at safety, he takes really good angles. He breaks up a lot of passes, I’d just like to see him finish on the ball a little better. The one thing I really like about him, he’s got really good movement skills. He bends well, he can play a lot of different positions. He’s a very mature kid who could start year one"

I think this clears up the subject of Wilson's potential. And as far as where we drafted him, Belichick obviously felt he could be taken between 48 and 62, or he would have waited and taken him at 62, right? I don't understand why that concept is so hard to get. Very simple -the Pats liked him, had another selection 13 picks later, and took him there at 48 because it was risky to do otherwise. If somebody can come up with some other plausible explanation I'd like to hear it.

Last edited:
A thought about Combine snubs and "reaches":

A lot of people have pointed to the fact that Wilson wasn't invited to the Combine as evidence that the Patriots drafted him too high. IMO, the key thing a Combine snub REALLY means is that media rankings and analysis for the player will be unreliable.

When a player works out at the Combine (or participates in the Senior Bowl), the Kipers and Mayocks and Buntings of the world, as well as fans, all get to see him in action. There's a critical mass of media and personnel guys, and buzz circulates. But when the player works out at a pro day with little press coverage, the effect on the player's draft stock all happens behind closed doors.

Vollmer was a classic example of that. If all of the media analysts had been on hand for the modest Houston pro day to see a 6'8" 312-lb. man work out like this, they would have made their mocks differently.

To win my vote, second round pick or not, all Tavon Wilson needs to be is a smarter, athletically superior version of James Sanders. His loss was monumental in the backfield (despite his limitations). Everything else north of that projection is a bonus in my eyes.

I don't particularly care what people's opinions of Sanders are, I liked him as a Patriots player and believe he was undervalued by many.

I think we're setting the bar rather low for a second round draft pick if he merely has to be a notch above Sanders. Not trying to imply that Sanders was a terrible player but one would reasonably expect Wilson to be much better given where he was taken and the obvious desire for BB to pick him earlier than necessary (by most accounts).

We are absolutely setting the bar low for safety prospects because the bar took the express elevator to Davey Jones' locker last season. A slight upgrade from James Sanders probably wouldn't have dragged down a Giants receiver on the goal line when Eli was throwing the ball away, and they probably make the right read 5% of the time.

Media on Twitter today:

Stu Durando (U of Ill beat writer): Tavon Wilson has told Illinois officials he cannot participate in a teleconference with local media because Patriots won't allow it.

Rapoport: LOL RT @studurando: Tavon Wilson told Illinois officials he cannot participate in a teleconference with local media. Patriots won't allow it

Batista: Why? RT @studurando: Tavon Wilson told Illinois officials he can't participate in a teleconference w/local media b/c Patriots won't allow.

Breer: Stupidly hilarious! RT @studurando: Tavon Wilson told Illinois officials he can't do teleconference w/local media. Patriots won't allow i

Breer: @RapSheet @studurando Careful now ... He might get asked risque questions like, "How did it feel to get drafted?" Or "Are you pumped?"

Rapoport: @AlbertBreer @studurando It's just so funny. The process begins... now!!

Last edited:
Maybe they're concerned that the inevitable inquisition he'd face over why he was drafted so early would affect his confidence or self belief. From the brief interview with him on the official website he seems like a shy character who would rather stay out of the spotlight.

This whole thing got screwed up by hyperbole on both sides of the argument and a lot of BS rhetoric.

We don't have enough information to criticize or praise Belichick for taking this guy at this point. We don't know if other teams had him ranked in that range and we don't know if the national reports were accurate.

I gotta thank Ninja for putting up all those videos. His work has been epic all draft season getting those videos posted here - and it was the videos of Wilson that calmed my fears about the pick.

For anyone that has an issue with the pick, just go watch the guy play. Is he without some rough spots? No. A huge one - not turning his head with the ball in the air - is a correctable one. He is much faster-twitch than given credit for by reports, he has much quicker feet too. All this talk about him as a SS or in the box guy - this guy is way more athletic than people are saying. Even the sparse reports on him were off the mark.

He can play all over the field, and has experience in multiple positions. He seems like a reliable tackler.

He may never be a star, but I feel pretty confident he will be a solid player for this team - and a very versatile one. For a second rounder, that's about all you can ask for.

Last edited:
Maybe they're concerned that the inevitable inquisition he'd face over why he was drafted so early would affect his confidence or self belief. From the brief interview with him on the official website he seems like a shy character who would rather stay out of the spotlight.

God I hope this diagnosis is wrong. Doesn't sound like a winner to me. Shy and quiet is fine, but no guys lacking self confidence please.

I think this clears up the subject of Wilson's potential. And as far as where we drafted him, Belichick obviously felt he could be taken between 48 and 62, or he would have waited and taken him at 62, right? I don't understand why that concept is so hard to get. Very simple -the Pats liked him, had another selection 13 picks later, and took him there at 48 because it was risky to do otherwise. If somebody can come up with some other plausible explanation I'd like to hear it.

My problem is the amount of other DB's who went in the 3rd. Surely they could have gotten a guy w/ a similar grade 15-30 picks later plus extra value (to be flipped into next year). It was rumored we really like CB Hayward from Vandy and S Taylor from LSU. Both were available at 62.

Is he without some rough spots? No. A huge one - not turning his head with the ball in the air - is a correctable one.

Recent history certainly isn't on our side w/ this though. It seems like DB's get worse at looking for the ball once they get here.

I think he's better at S where his turning to look problem will be minimized. Pick certainly screamed positional reach and we need S help more than CB.

My problem is the amount of other DB's who went in the 3rd. Surely they could have gotten a guy w/ a similar grade 15-30 picks later plus extra value (to be flipped into next year). It was rumored we really like CB Hayward from Vandy and S Taylor from LSU. Both were available at 62.

Good points. Maybe this was the year that in rounds 1-2, BB took the guy he felt was best for the role he wanted, rather than trade down and get someone who was "almost as good" a fit.

I think we're setting the bar rather low for a second round draft pick if he merely has to be a notch above Sanders. Not trying to imply that Sanders was a terrible player but one would reasonably expect Wilson to be much better given where he was taken and the obvious desire for BB to pick him earlier than necessary (by most accounts).

I completely disagree. Every good secondary has a captain to diagnose and set the players into position. All military units have noncoms, and officers to direct the individual soldiers.

The high strung athletes chosen for the secondary particularly at CB, don't always come with high IQs. Look at Morris Claiborne and his 4 on the Wonderlic. That is why a guy like James Sanders played so much. It certainly wasn't because of his intimidating hitting at 185 #s, or spectacular speed 4.6+.

The few things we can measure for players chosen mostly for their mental skills, like QBs as much as their physical skills, is the triangle numbers, to ascertain if they are in the ballpark.

Tavon at 6.0, 200+,and a 4.5 are good numbers for a Safety, especially a Face the QB center fielder, who should be a reliable last line of Defense, take good angles, and tackle well.

I don't know if Tavon qualifies on these accounts, but I suspect he does, from the scouting reports I've seen.

The Chavous opinion is telling and is probably why he was targeted.

The strong/free safety concept went to right/left to now every secondary will have CB/safety and safety/CB.

A thought about Combine snubs and "reaches":

A lot of people have pointed to the fact that Wilson wasn't invited to the Combine as evidence that the Patriots drafted him too high. IMO, the key thing a Combine snub REALLY means is that media rankings and analysis for the player will be unreliable.

When a player works out at the Combine (or participates in the Senior Bowl), the Kipers and Mayocks and Buntings of the world, as well as fans, all get to see him in action. There's a critical mass of media and personnel guys, and buzz circulates. But when the player works out at a pro day with little press coverage, the effect on the player's draft stock all happens behind closed doors.

Vollmer was a classic example of that. If all of the media analysts had been on hand for the modest Houston pro day to see a 6'8" 312-lb. man work out like this, they would have made their mocks differently.

I think you pretty much nailed it. I'd like to add in Kiper, Mayock etc. defense, these guys are essentially one man scouting operations. They have to filter players using the Senior Bowl, combine invites etc. The Pats and most other NFL teams have at least 20 some odd people all over the country who do nothing but evaluate talent all year round. That's how these so called reaches happen, scouts are working from a larger sample.

Sanders was a 4th round pick Wilson a 2nd. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Wilson to be an upgrade if the Scout Assessment and draft recommendation turns out to be correct.

Wilson and Moore are 22 yo. Chung will be 25. Barrett is 27 but only has 25 games under his belt. Gregory is 29 but he was miscast in SD because Weddle boxed him out of his natural FS/centerfielder role.

Doesn't it seem a bit premature to be passing judgement on any of these guys? Isn't it a possibility that the best football is ahead for all of them? Belichick sees something in each of them and he only has to hit on 3 to have a very capable contingent of safeties.

I don't anticipate Wilson doing much of anything this year except take up a gameday inactive slot pending injuries. Not the way I would generally think of a 2nd round pick, but if the other safeties hold up it is a fine way to develop players long-term. Not so much for winning off-season awards.

To win my vote, second round pick or not, all Tavon Wilson needs to be is a smarter, athletically superior version of James Sanders. His loss was monumental in the backfield (despite his limitations). Everything else north of that projection is a bonus in my eyes.

I don't particularly care what people's opinions of Sanders are, I liked him as a Patriots player and believe he was undervalued by many.

I dunno about smarter- Sanders was plenty smart in his own right. A more athletic Sanders is fine with me.

I don't anticipate Wilson doing much of anything this year except take up a gameday inactive slot pending injuries. Not the way I would generally think of a 2nd round pick, but if the other safeties hold up it is a fine way to develop players long-term. Not so much for winning off-season awards.
Young Mr. Wilson had better have more of a role than that. Chung is good, Gregory we'll see, there's no-one else at Safety unless Barrett does something. When you draft a player at a need position in the middle of the second round, being a gameday inactive is an unmitigated disaster of a season. I don't care at this point that we over drafted him. That's over and done with. But for a guy who's strength is supposedly versatility he had better be on the field a fair amount.

Sanders was a 4th round pick Wilson a 2nd. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Wilson to be an upgrade if the Scout Assessment and draft recommendation turns out to be correct.

Sanders way outproduced his draft slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back