PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tavon Wilson - Lightning Rod o'Controversy (Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't give me rumors from private runs. At his pro day his best time was 4.52. His other run was a little slower.

He has good speed and definitely passes the eye test, unlike Chandler Jones who looks positively skinny up there on the dais.

ESPN gives the mystifying pick a failing grade, a 32, the only one of the second. The next lowest score was 70 for Ryan Broles who Detroit took.

Mike Reiss and Pete Prisco gave the pick a gentleman's C.

Just be prepared for the possibility that the Bristol, Conn., franchise is right, and the brain trust in Foxboro is wrong. Not usually the case, of course, but it might be now.

If you're trying to compare Wilson to Ed Reed based off a few physical measurements you're setting yourself up for huge disappointment. Ed Reed is a once in a decade HOF safety and his college fourty time had very little to do with his success.

Last edited:
don't give me rumors from private runs.

Well, if you don't want to consider why, how and when Wilson was being re-evaluated higher than a 6th round pick by NFL teams, I can understand why the pick would still appear mystifying.

McCourty was unfairly blamed for playing team defense correctly.

Many times he was executing properly in the trailing "inside and behind" double coverage technique, to intercept short and underthrown passes. The team expectation was the S would come over and play "over and top" technique to intercept overthrown balls; but seldom did so, until way late or not at all. The completion was made, and McCourty had to close and tackle if he could. Only then would the Safety show up late, if at all, and stand around as they untangled and got up.

The fans blamed McCourty as he was "closest" to the WR, and "beaten" when such was not the case at all. Note that he was never benched for his "poor" play. The Coaches knew what had (or hadn't) happened, as planned, and who merited the real blame.:mad:

Grow up and know some football, before you criticize unfairly.:snob:

Why do you think Steve Gregory was signed as a FA, so fast? Why do you think that Belichick was looking so desperately for a Facing FS?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
McCourty was unfairly blamed for playing team defense correctly.

Many times he was executing properly in the trailing "inside and behind" double coverage technique, to intercept short and underthrown passes. The team expectation was the S would come over and play "over and top" technique to intercept overthrown balls; but seldom did so, until way late or not at all. The completion was made, and McCourty had to close and tackle if he could. Only then would the Safety show up late, if at all, and stand around as they untangled and got up.

The fans blamed McCourty as he was "closest" to the WR, and "beaten" when such was not the case at all. Note that he was never benched for his "poor" play. The Coaches knew what had (or hadn't) happened, as planned, and who merited the real blame.:mad:

Grow up and know some football, before you criticize unfairly.:snob:

Why do youthink Steve Gregory was signed as a FA? Why do you think that Belichick was looking so desperately for a Facing FS?

McCourty got burned deep a number of times (I'd say about 8 from memory) on the exact plays that he duped the QB into throwing the year before and picked or knocked down.
That is an issue, but one that is very correctable.
Fans here took those handfiul of plays out of the 900+ that he played and decided it meant that everything he did was worse.
It was not. Aside for that dynamic, on the rest of the plays, he was pretty much the same guy that was a deserving probowl starter.
If the issue isn't fixed, we have a starting corner who gets beat deep a lot.
If it does, we have an allpro corner.
I see nothing in his game, or makeup that tells me that is not a correctable flaw that developed.

I haven't seen anybody assert (smugly or otherwise) that because Belichick drafted him it was a great pick.

The smug assertion is that from posters who claim they have any clue where the other 31 teams had him ranked on their board. They don't, but Belichick probably did.

This. The only time anyone comes out to defend BB is to say that he's the professional and even the best of the pundits and our own draft experts have 1/100th the knowledge he does.

People spout off about players they know nothing about (because none of the mock sites hyped him) and then everybody who points out their relative ignorance is accused of drinking the Kool-Aid.

BB's a genius when he drafts people the mockers like and an arrogant moron when he drafts players they don't like.

-
Having said that, I won't be shocked if they draft a safety high again next year.
And as bad a draft as this was for safeties, NEXT year is supposedly going to be a bumper crop of them. 3 of the top S prospect for this year, went back to school, and there are SEVERAL other good prospects as well. No DI,you are right, I think the Pats could very well be looking for a S next season

Last edited:
Well, one thing is for sure - we are going to find out whether our FO throws darts in the dark hoping something will stick or if they really know more than most how to evaluate talent. (I am not too optimistic given the track record for drafting DBs.)

The other alternative is that they have given up trying to evaluate a DB because whatever they get mostly suck anyway. Might as well pick names from a hat at that point.

If you don't already know the answer to that, then I doubt that you'll find out anything.

Having now watched tape on him, I think I finally get why they drafted him. Everything he does poorly or inconsistently, can be taught, coached or cured and he can significantly improve in those areas. Everything that can't be coached, he does fairly well. He has Ed Reed size and speed and durability, great desire, is immensely coachable and can overcome adversity. Give a good coach all that and he should be able to give you a productive player in return.

Ed Reed? Really? Are we really making comparisons between Tavon Wilson and Ed Reed?

Can't really tell much about his coverage skills, but he seems to put him self in the right place at the right time a lot.

From I what I've seen on youtube, his coverage skills are a ****sandwich.

Ed Reed? Really? Are we really making comparisons between Tavon Wilson and Ed Reed?

Kind of amusing comparisons: "Ed Reed size and speed," when size and speed are the only two things Ed Reed doesn't have going for him. :)

Personally, I'll admit that I have zero idea what kind of player Wilson is, which should make camp all the more interesting.

To win my vote, second round pick or not, all Tavon Wilson needs to be is a smarter, athletically superior version of James Sanders. His loss was monumental in the backfield (despite his limitations). Everything else north of that projection is a bonus in my eyes.

I don't particularly care what people's opinions of Sanders are, I liked him as a Patriots player and believe he was undervalued by many.

Last edited:
To win my vote, second round pick or not, all Tavon Wilson needs to be is a smarter, athletically superior version of James Sanders. His loss was monumental in the backfield (despite his limitations). Everything else north of that projection is a bonus in my eyes.

I don't particularly care what people's opinions of Sanders are, I liked him as a Patriots player and believe he was undervalued by many.

If Tavon Wilson can keep chung from lining up against wide outs in single coverage that would also be worth it going forward. Every time I see chung approach to play press I get nervous.

If Tavon Wilson can keep chung from lining up against wide outs in single coverage that would also be worth it going forward. Every time I see chung approach to play press I get nervous.

Anytime the secondary or LBs drop back in coverage I get nervous, even against the dregs of the league. I have more faith in big Vince's coverage skills then some of the guys the Patriots employed this past season. If any of the rookies can turn the defense into a respectable unit I'd be happy. No more 400 yard games to the likes of Chad Henne, fourth quarter near miracle comebacks for Dan "haven't won a game since college" Orvlosky, or "3rd and 15? Here's 20" please..

I knew someone was going to be fool enough to accuse me of this comparison.

No I was not making a full comparison with Ed Reed. My point was obvious that he had the same speed and size and was injury free like Reed. And that is exactly what I wrote. He is obviously not like Reed in several other respects.

Kind of amusing comparisons: "Ed Reed size and speed," when size and speed are the only two things Ed Reed doesn't have going for him. :)

Personally, I'll admit that I have zero idea what kind of player Wilson is, which should make camp all the more interesting.

Ed Reed has pretty decent size and speed for a FS. The point was that Wilson is big enough and fast enough to be a good NFL player at that position.

Ed Reed has pretty decent size and speed for a FS. The point was that Wilson is big enough and fast enough to be a good NFL player at that position.

I understand, didn't mean to pick on the statement! It just struck me because I remember how back before the 2007 draft, whenever reservations were raised about Brandon Meriweather having the size and speed to merit a 1st-round pick, the refrain was always "he's the same size as Ed Reed!" Umm, yeah, and Ed Reed was the smallest 1st-round safety this decade. He's just a special player.

For a guy that made so many tackles, it's weird that the only games up on youtube show him as a practical turnstile. I'm starting to think there must be more film on this guy. Where are the 78 tackles?

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » Draft wizard Corey Chavous weighs in on Pats picks

According to Corey Chavous of Draftnasty.com: "He was a pretty good leader for the team when they had injury problems. He moved to safety seemlessly. I think he’s going to be good for the secondary out there, I really do. I think he has a lot of potential. His best football is ahead of him. I always thought his best work would be at corner, but then when I saw him at safety, he takes really good angles. He breaks up a lot of passes, I’d just like to see him finish on the ball a little better. The one thing I really like about him, he’s got really good movement skills. He bends well, he can play a lot of different positions. He’s a very mature kid who could start year one"

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back