PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Struggling Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it seems that most of you think the Pats offense has been playing well the last month and is solid going into the playoffs?

If I'm off base, why all the questions in the post game press conference about the offense struggling at the end of the season? I've not seen the Pats able to get an early lead and control a game.

I agree with the observation that the offensive line has tailed off. What can the Pats do? Dink and dunk and screens and draws would seem to be the traditional way to slow down a pass rush that is pinning its ears back.

SNF26H02EGG_682_741437a.jpg

BTW, name one offense that plays at a high level all game every game. You look at Denver, Indy, Dallas, Green Bay, etc. and all of them have games when they are stellar one half and cannot move the ball the other half.

The problem with this team in recent years is the over reliance on the offense because offense is more inconsistent than defense by their natures. And when the Pats' offense stalled in the playoffs, the defense couldn't bail them out. This year, they have a great defense.

I think we should start Gronk, Edelman, and Connolly, and then play at home, like we did against Miami a couple games ago where we put up 41.

The 41 against Miami is a little deceptive. The Pats offense crapped themselves at the end of the first half. They roared back in the third quarter, but I thought the Miami game showed some cracks in the armor.

The 41 against Miami is a little deceptive. The Pats offense crapped themselves at the end of the first half. They roared back in the third quarter, but I thought the Miami game showed some cracks in the armor.

Football's a 60 minute game. They can play however they want for a half if they're going to get 43 on the board.

This is like ground hog day all over again. The Pats go into the playoffs with an offense that has been steadily declining over the last month of the season and is now pretty much stopped in its tracks. Other than one good half against Miami, the offense has struggled consistently. I have no idea what has unravelled.

Any ideas what the Pats can do going forward:

1) Practice gaining more than 1 yard on a 2nd & 2 or 3rd & 2 running play?

2) Go full 2001 dink and dunk and try to win 13 to 10 in the playoffs?

3) Go full Flacco? Just have Brady close his eyes and heave it deep on every series, hoping to connect 3 or 4 times per game?

4) Switch to the wildcat offense?

5) Run nothing but trick plays?

Beats me. Belichick and McDaniels need to go into their secret lair and mix up some kind of offensive potion. The defense is stout, but the Pats aren't going far without scoring some TDs.

What's the solution?
Heh. The content of this post is ridiculous but I am with the title of the thread. I'm concerned with the offense going into the post season. We've started slow several weeks in a row and sometimes never really gained steam at all.

The OL has me worried. One off day and we are in trouble, and they have seen their fair share of struggles recently.

Football's a 60 minute game. They can play however they want for a half if they're going to get 43 on the board.

True. Although I think the Pats will fare better against good team in the tournament if they can do something offensively in the first quarter and play from ahead. IMO, they are really vulnerable if they fall behind and let the opposing pass rush pin their ears back. All teams are vulnerable, but the Pats o-line is in trouble when that happens. Brady got hit 15 times in the Jets game.

I think Fred Kirsch has it right. The Pats will go as far in the tournament as preventing real and perceived pass rush pressure allows them to.

The ol puts up a stinker and they could get so far behind they can't come back.

I don't agree with the OP but I think it is fair to be a little bit concerned about the offense. As already mentioned they have not been overly sharp the last 4-5 games, since GB, yeh they might eventually put up 41 like with Miami but slow starts in the playoffs will get you eliminated quickly.

I think they will play a lot better in two weeks, but if they don't it will be a short playoff season.

True. Although I think the Pats will fare better against good team in the tournament if they can do something offensively in the first quarter and play from ahead. IMO, they are really vulnerable if they fall behind and let the opposing pass rush pin their ears back. All teams are vulnerable, but the Pats o-line is in trouble when that happens. Brady got hit 15 times in the Jets game.

I think Fred Kirsch has it right. The Pats will go as far in the tournament as preventing real and perceived pass rush pressure allows them to.

On the plus side though, it was nice to see us struggle early on and make adjustments like that. Alot of these playoff losses has seen us struggle with something early on, or get punched in the mouth and fail to find any solution.

really? This is what i am going to have to deal with all week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes