PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stopping the other team when they need to only pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all did and ridiculed me for saying the defense was still horrible.

You might want to check my post history for October through December

2007-8 season : Defense allows 17.1 pts/game.......allows 17points in SB42
2011-12 season: Defense allows 21.4 pts/game......allows 19points in SB46
What does any of that have to do with the defense surrending a horrendous game losing 88 yard TD drive?
Are you arguing its OK because they still allowed less than their average? Should we call that a win?

So, Defense is doing its job, you obviously cannot see that since you're hung up over last Drive. Defense FORCED 3 FUMBLES
How do you count one that took 12 men? Who cares about 2 others they didnt recover? Forcing a fumble the offense recovers isn't doing your job.
But neither is allowing an 88 yd TD drive to lose the game.

In the same SB's, Offfense scores 22 and 18 pts below their season average.
So its OK to let up the losing drive because the offense was off that day?

Welker, Branch, Hernandez DID NOT DO THEIR JOB by CATCHING THE BALL ON THE LAST DRIVE
I don't remember saying they did.

Brady COST the Defense to play TWO Extra posessions.....Safety and INT. Brady DOES HIS JOB, and does not make boneheaded decisions, the Pats win SB.
So the standard is Brady must be perfect and the defense must just have an excuse?

Finally, get off the rant about D not doing its job...It took 2 of the greatest catches in SB HISTORY on LAST DRIVES by Opposing teams for Pats to lose. That ofcourse is a minor detail you won't mention
So, its OK if the other team scores if you can blame it on a good catch?
Why would I mention it? I am not the one who believes failure is Ok if oyu have an excuse.

Is this the same AndyJohnson who put his fingers in his ears all season when other posters suggested that maybe our defense was pretty bad?

Hilarious

:rolleyes:

Both units need to improve. focusing on one to the exclusion of the other is silly. We have people arguing in a completely serious tone that giving up a TD at the end of the game means the D "failed".
What do you call taking the field with 88 yards behind you and the game in the balance, and not even coming close enough to force a 3rd down? You find that to be success?

Never mind that the coach instructed them to allow the winning score.
Come on. He didn't tell them to allow 81 yards in 7 plays before he had to give up and let them score.

Never mind that the D held an explosive offense to 13 points prior to that point despite two turnovers by the offense.
Explosive? There was one turnover.
If you want to make excuses that playing pretty good before folding excuses folding, go ahead, but I thought the point was to win, not argue that you played good most of the game before you failed.

To these folks, presumably the defense would be to blame if they shut out the opponent but gave up a TD at the end to lose 7-3. After all, if they could have just stopped them at the end, we would have won....
Well they would have failed on that drive, and if every big game ended with the defense allowing an easy game winning TD drive on the last possession it would still be an area of great concern, even if the defense was awesome in all other situations.

With age and free agency, we have holes to fill on the D-line. An upgrade is badly needed at the other safety spot. A corner is needed to compete with a young, but promising group of Dowling/McCourty/Moore/Arrington. 2 spots need to be filled at WR. A third TE is needed. In the grand scheme, this is not anything close to a major overhaul. The roster is in very good shape.
None of that revises history. Is it not obvious that the way this team has been built there is a glaring weakness in defending in 2minute and obvious passing situations? Excusing it because of what happened the rest of the game doesn't make it go away.

Is this the same AndyJohnson who put his fingers in his ears all season when other posters suggested that maybe our defense was pretty bad?

Hilarious

OK, here is a little lesson for you.
There is more to discussing a defense than
1) Defense good
2) Defense bad

I completely stand behind the argument that I made all year that the defense did not play nearly as bad as many posters made it out to be.
I also stand by that the last drive by the defense with the game on the line was an epic failure.
You would have to be completely ignorant to think there is inconsistency in those statements.

I have been saying for a few years now that 2 minute and obvious passing down defense is a big problem with this team, and ultimately we were done in by it again. I don't know how me saying the defense overall played better this season than people were giving it credit for while also pointing out they failed at their biggest moment is hilarious. Maybe you can explain that one. I found no humor in it at all.

Now you are quoting your own posts and putting a sarcasm icon after them?
Time to step away from the keyboard and pursue some real life activities?

It was interesting to read the quote about how much the Pats use stats in their personnel decisions, not just how much but the manner in which they do it. Its something that has increased over time.

One of the interesting points from MoneyBall was how effective the strategy is during a long season, and how awful it is over a shorter stretch (i.e. playoffs). I wonder if this helps to explain the difference between the Patriot's dynasty and non-dynasty stretches.

He probably thought he was logged in under his other account.

I forget sometimes that I'm surrounded by old people on this forum, and that you miss subtle things over the internet.

See the post above me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back