Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Can they still win the SB?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I have learned is that I am not giving up on Tom Brady and the Patriots, no matter how bad it looks.

For the love of God though, do something with the defense. Either sign a LEGIT DT or play less zone.

Not going to find a DT off the street at this point of the season. The D is frustrating to watch. No pass rush and no 3rd down yardage is long enough for them.

They can get TO the superbowl. Without Gronk I don't see them beating Seattle.

Odds just got wretchedly thin, but I will never count this team out so long as Bradychick draws breath in an NFL stadium on gameday.

No it's not.

The patriots just beat a great defense with no starters on the field at receiver.

Going to be really tough but this team is so gritty and gutsy whoever takes them out will need to drive 3 or 4 spikes through their heart in order to kill 'em.
Love this team!!!!

You know what? I think they can. Run a spread offense with Edelman/Amendola/KT/Dobson and put Vereen in the backfield an they have a shot. Keep Collie on board for injury purposes. Mulligan and Develin can help with blocking in the run game.

For the love of God though, do something with the defense. Either sign a LEGIT DT or play less zone.

Yup. Mix in Boyce just to gain his speed. I really think this potential spread offense with 0 TE and 3-4 WR every play could work.

No it's not.

The patriots just beat a great defense with no starters on the field at receiver.

Yea and Jason Campbell looked like Aaron Rodgers out there. What happens when play a competent QB and the offense has to score 30+ to win?

Can you really DOUBT these guys after what they've pulled off? The comebacks against the Broncs, Texans, and now the Browns. This team NEVER QUITS! As long as the game is close they've got a chance to win it!

I'm not predicting a SB win, but they have as good a chance as ANY team out there right now. There's no team that's clearly head and shoulders above any other. Some are saying Seattle is this year's Juggernaut. But Pete Carroll is their coach... Will they even end up as the NFC rep for the Superbowl?

So, I think it's wide open. We beat the Broncos before and the Chiefs don't exactly scare me, who else do we have to watch out for in the AFC? If we get to the Bowl game, anything can happen! Don't count these Pats out of it!

Any team that can pay well enough to get in the playoffs has a chance. You need to win three games in a row.

Through our difficult season, we've needed to use a lot of different offensive players which is actually an advantage, IMO, at least if you have Tom Brady We have every type of receiver except TE, of course. Other teams do without dominant TEs, there aren't many.

Plus we have a number of good RBs, including a breakaway threat, so the Jets strategy of a few years back of putting your best cb on 2 WRs, packing the short passing lanes and daring us to run won't fly. Both Ridley and Vereen could break a run big if neglected.

We won't have the best D, but I think if we start putting points up early again, we will have a good D, since we won't need to have base personnel in there.

2 things from the last two weeks...it's not about talent. Sure, this team and the 2005 team seemed to stretch the limit of injury tolerance, but these are two playoff teams. The Texans don't have talent? Th Browns? they sure as hell aren't winning the Super Bowl.

Our team has the guts and discipline and a quarterback who personifies those traits. The football is designed to take funny bounces. There will be lots of surprises and strange situations where the team with the most discipline and mental toughness will break away unexpectedly.

There aren't many teams like that and we're definitely one of them

*Allow me to preface my post with an IMHO,

I think that we can and WILL win the Superbowl. All the mediots and "experts" will point to the Patriots and say, "They're too injured. Their defense sucks. There's no way." Look at everything that we've been through though. Losing Wilfork after four games... Kelly and Mayo after six, Vollmer after eight and now Gronk. Look at all those games we played in.
Atlanta was hard-fought from the beginning, but we pulled it out 30-23 after losing Wilfork early on.
Kelly and Mayo were both injured in the Saints game, which everyone will remember for its courageous display of unicorns, show ponies and "where's the beef?!?". Oh, and that Kenbrell Thompkins kid. He's alright.
Sebastian Vollmer went down against our bitter division rivals but we still managed to overcome the 17-0 deficit to win 27-17.
And today. Arguably the most improbable comeback of the year (And we've had some great ones) when Tom Brady threw for 2 TDs in the last 61 seconds of the game. Gronk went down with an ACL (assumed) but we still pulled it out.
Week after week this team continues to show that it's not over until it's over. They've got more heart than any other team in the league. How many others can be constantly sucker-punched with injuries and continue to win? This team reminds me of the 2010 Green Bay Packers, who had several key cogs and starters on IR but still won the Superbowl. Though, you know, *HOMER ALERT* we're way better.
Lurking through the gameday thread at times makes me laugh, shake my head in disappointment, but it's really encouraging to see all the fans that bounce right back up just like the Patriots do. I love being a Pats fan and no matter what happens for the rest of the season, I'm proud of this team. Well done.

I don't think this team has any realistic shot barring something major like Manning going down for the year.

This team is as flawed as they come, how they win is miraculous, but they're not going to be able to beat stiff competition come playoffs. Just too many injuries and not enough talent to replace them.

it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Patriots lose the remaining 3 games and lose the 2 seed all together.

Of course they have a chance,they still have the #2 seed. Two weeks off to win a home game, and they're in the AFC Championship game (which, as all Jets fans know, is the pinnacle of NFL success anyway....)

A HELL of a lot tougher to beat the (probably) Broncos, of course, and then (probably) Seattle in the Super Bowl. But always a chance if you get to play the game. Particularly with Brady and Belichick.

I will say this. If they do manage to win it? It will be sweeter than just about any sports moment you could imagine.

I've learned not to doubt this team.

In today's NFL, there is ALWAYS a chance, especially when you have the GOAT at QB. I'll re-post what I said in another thread that would make it a good/great chance:

Obviously anything is possible, but I think the only way we can really go far in the playoffs is to get Talib/Arrington back to what they were before their injuries and Dennard back, which I have no idea how likely or unlikely that will be in the next 4 weeks. Otherwise, secondary is average to bad and we are not very good against the run. Not going to go far with this defense the way it is. With the secondary at full strength though, I think we'll be in every game.

If we are healthy defensively I wouldn't put it past this team to go all the way even without Gronk. Dobson will hopefully be back soon and he was just starting to break out. Edelman is a legit option and Vereen is a major weapon. KT, Boyce and DA are wild cards, hopefully (likely) one will step up. If Ridley can run like early 2012 we have a good offense IMO. The OL playing better would make a huge difference but that's far from a given.

On the plus side, this team is incredibly resilient and battle tested, we saw last year with Baltimore - a highly flawed team - is an important trait.

Yes. Any other year, no. But after everything that's happened already... why the **** not.

Btw, how great an "America's Team" would this year make.... think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself though.

I have no idea how they can overcome all these key, crucial, destructive hits to their starting roster. I am amazed at where they are as it is but going forward, losing Gronk affects a number of key elements in this offense, not the least being his blocking on both run and pass. This injury impacts our run game, our seam attacks, our big receiver near the goal line plays...the damage is almost incalculable.

Bill has a lot of work to do here. We now have a HUGE hole at TE. This is not optimal going into the playoffs. Who is out there that can help out? Hooman is useless offensively.

They can get TO the superbowl. Without Gronk I don't see them beating Seattle.

Outdoors in New Jersey in February -- anything can happen.

Did you all watch Tom Brady in Patriots Fifth Quarter? Did you see the smile on his face and the FIRE in his eyes? Do we still have a SB chance after losing Gronk?

HELL YEAH!!!!

The Broncos can't slow down Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Titans. How are they going to stop the Brady and the Pats. It is about who can win a shootout. The #6 seed teams all have issues. The Colts are pretenders. I don't trust Marvin Lewis or Andy Dalton in the playoffs. The Pats are still as good as anyone in the AFC field even without Gronk.

Man, its gonna be three straight years that "we" don't have a healthy Gronk at the end of the season. That's THREE potential Superbowls right there... :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes