PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes UP, Cunningham DOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly fair, Sean Lee has looked good from what I've seen of him. I was only commenting with respect to the Cunningham vs. Dunlap debate.

I hear you. Imagine an interior line with Wilfork, Haynesworth and Cody all healthy and in the rotation, though.

I hear you. Imagine an interior line with Wilfork, Haynesworth and Cody all healthy and in the rotation, though.

Yep, no doubt. I'm still hopeful that Cunningham will pan out after a promising rookie campaign. If he doesn't, a few of those subsequent picks will burn like Chad Jackson over Greg Jennings (hopefully not that bad!).

He is so much like Junior Seau in that thing except 1 Small difference. Seau will drop the RB for a Loss and fish pump where as Spikes will do it once he tackles the RB after has has gained ONLY 5 yds.

He's more like Brian Cox imo.

I never noticed Junior fish-pumping.

He's more like Brian Cox imo.

I never noticed Junior fish-pumping.

Oh come on guys!!!! Spikes plays with raw emotion. I wish more of our defense played with his emotion.

Plus, I don't know what game you guys were watching, but I saw Spikes in the backfield on at least 3 plays. Can't remember Mayo ever doing that in one game.

Spikes was a definite plus yesterday. That game reminded me a lot of the Baltimore game last year, where Spikes shut down their running game all by himself. He wasnt as dominant in this game, but still had a big impact.

I can't wait to see how Spikes responds to Mayo being sidelined.

Sean Lee is the best of them but he's a 4-3 guy. If we'd known last year we'd be moving to a 4-3, then yeah, Lee was the guy to take.

If you watch the games, Dunlap is constantly pushing the pocket, especially in the SF game. He had key pass defended yesterday. You don't even know Cunningham played yesterday, and can we stop acting like he was a ROY candidate last year, he had 3 ok games and a couple of good plays. When is the last time a defender on this team was a beast. Oh yeah I remember, Carter in that Pre-season game. Matt Roth, who the Pats cheaped out on as 4 tackles, but 2 sacks. Where are the sacks and the hurries.

When Cunningham does on the field the guy is just not a playmaker or difference maker and its obvious he got his "sack stats" at Florida as a result of Dunlap being the focal point for opposing offenses.

He's going the way of Sean Crable.

I could care less if Spikes fist pumps on a 5-yard gain. Emotion is def. something this defense has lacks, its the polar opposite of the Ravens defense. This lack of emotion and intensity is exactly why we can make a bunch of good plays but never consecutively or when it matters the most. As painful as it is to watch this defense, their lack of emotion makes it evern worse. They need someone who's going to give a few headbutts and get them fired up, brady is that on the offense but the defense hasnt had that since Bruschi and Milloy, absolutely no emotion. Mayo is a consistent players but does not play with the emotion we need, nor does Mayo or any other patriot on D make the big play ( The Vince interceptions may be the exception).

I could care less if Spikes fist pumps on a 5-yard gain. Emotion is def. something this defense has lacks, its the polar opposite of the Ravens defense. This lack of emotion and intensity is exactly why we can make a bunch of good plays but never consecutively or when it matters the most. As painful as it is to watch this defense, their lack of emotion makes it evern worse. They need someone who's going to give a few headbutts and get them fired up, brady is that on the offense but the defense hasnt had that since Bruschi and Milloy, absolutely no emotion. Mayo is a consistent players but does not play with the emotion we need, nor does Mayo or any other patriot on D make the big play ( The Vince interceptions may be the exception).

Would really liked to have seen them pick up Brian Dawkins a couple of years ago to be Rodney Part II. He is an emotional force and a good guy off the field, which may have influenced Meriweather as well.

Brian Dawkins Speech New - YouTube

When Cunningham does on the field the guy is just not a playmaker or difference maker and its obvious he got his "sack stats" at Florida as a result of Dunlap being the focal point for opposing offenses.

He's going the way of Sean Crable.

If you knew how to look at stats other than sacks, you'd see that Cunningham was a better player than Dunlap and Crable combined last season...

If you knew how to look at stats other than sacks, you'd see that Cunningham was a better player than Dunlap and Crable combined last season...

Delusional best describes you.

Cunningham......15G, 1Sack, 1PD, 2FF, 27tackles
Dunlap...........12G,9.5Sacks, 3PD, 0FF, 19Tackles

Cunningham - M.I.A

Dunlap
2011 HIGHLIGHTS: Missed all four preseason games due to knee strain, but was ready for season opener … Has played in Games 1-3, tallying seven tackles, and leads team in QB pressures (six) … Has helped defense to No. 3 NFL ranking (276.3 yards allowed per game), including seventh against the rush (88.0) … Has also aided pass-rushing effort that ranks seventh in NFL in sacks (9.0) and fourth in sacks per passing play (.087) … On Sept. 11 at Cleveland, logged a team-high four QB pressures along with two tackles ... His QB pressure in fourth quarter at Cleveland helped force INT by DE Michael Johnson … Five tackles Sept. 18 at Denver.

Oh come on guys!!!! Spikes plays with raw emotion. I wish more of our defense played with his emotion.

Plus, I don't know what game you guys were watching, but I saw Spikes in the backfield on at least 3 plays. Can't remember Mayo ever doing that in one game.

Spikes was a definite plus yesterday. That game reminded me a lot of the Baltimore game last year, where Spikes shut down their running game all by himself. He wasnt as dominant in this game, but still had a big impact.

Didn't bill say himself he likes emotion? Why are so people so down on it.

Spikes was running around out there..liked it

Delusional best describes you.

Cunningham......15G, 1Sack, 1PD, 2FF, 27tackles
Dunlap...........12G,9.5Sacks, 3PD, 0FF, 19Tackles

Cunningham - M.I.A

Dunlap
2011 HIGHLIGHTS: Missed all four preseason games due to knee strain, but was ready for season opener … Has played in Games 1-3, tallying seven tackles, and leads team in QB pressures (six) … Has helped defense to No. 3 NFL ranking (276.3 yards allowed per game), including seventh against the rush (88.0) … Has also aided pass-rushing effort that ranks seventh in NFL in sacks (9.0) and fourth in sacks per passing play (.087) … On Sept. 11 at Cleveland, logged a team-high four QB pressures along with two tackles ... His QB pressure in fourth quarter at Cleveland helped force INT by DE Michael Johnson … Five tackles Sept. 18 at Denver.

Wow, you must be absolutely freaking illiterate. You completely missed both "other than sacks" and "last season."

Cunningham:
4 hits, 17 hurries, 31 run-defense tackles

Dunlap:
3 hits, 4 hurries, 7 run-defense tackles

Agreed. we shouldnt get down on our players for showing emotion. Thats exactly MORE of what this defense needs. Mayo is a tackling machine. I mean Terminator-like efficient in tackling. But Spikes adds passion and intensity. He isnt as skilled as Mayo but I think Spikes makes an impact on our D. Ill take his enthusiasm any day and all day on Sunday.

Cunningham stinks, it was a complete misfire, just like Brace playing next to Raji, he was made playing next to Dunlap in College. Bill fell in love with his "versatility". That's the problem Bill is so worried about MLB playing Fullback and Tackles playing TE and Ends playing LB, he's forgetting to get Ends that can play END!!! No sacks 3 QB hits in 40 passing tries. It's a disgrace. The only one who stopped Campbell was Campbell!!! The Jets are a mess, an absolute mess with no line, old receivers and a schitzo QB. If he comes into Foxboro and lights them up then don't make any plans for any late playoff games. For as I have been saying for weeks, I don't need top 10 defense. How bout some defense. And if a Thread needs to be started its how bad the Pats need a talent evaluator. Look at what Ozzie Newsome does in the draft on defense lately, compared to Bill. Bill maybe its not the system, the players, its you. Btw, Connor Barwin, was awesome yesterday for all the fanboys who said he wasn't a factor.

Do you have 21 more of these?

I am watching this game again right now with a special emphasis on the d-line. I am very curious if my initial impression of Cunningham was accurate.

I know what I saw with Spikes and I stand by that part of the thread title. He is a beast in the making. True warrior spirit.

Spikes looked like a great prospect and contributor last year. He has been injured. He is now looking like a contributor again. Obviously, we need him to step up now that Mayo is out.
=================================================================
Cunningham is a question mark. He contributed much more in his rookie year than Brace or Deaderick did in their first year. We'll just see what happens as the year progresses.

Last edited:

Well said. Spikes definitely showed promise on Sunday. I'm not saying he was the second coming of LT but, again, he was working hard and showing promise.

I, too, am interested to see how Spikes responds to this opportunity. In the NFL -- and this just is the way it is -- injuries are the 'next guy's' opportunity to make an impact/make his case for more playing time. Spikes has a bit of time under his belt regarding NFL experience and Patriot experience. If he is going to be a contributor, this is his time (provided BB works him into the role versus Guyton).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back