PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Patriots set to make big trades

Status
Not open for further replies.
A play for Cruz would explain the slowness of the Pats' FA period. They need all their ducks in a row before they go after a high-priced RFA. They simply can't proceed for a week of FA with tons of money tied up waiting for someone like Cruz.

So if they have other big-ticket needs they have to attend to besides Cruz, they have to do those things now -- they can't deal with them later. If an Abraham or Freeney is a priority, they have to wait out that market. They can't go and deal with their wideout situation in the meantime.

It would be a disaster to sign Cruz or Sanders to a front-loaded offer sheet, leave $3 million earmarked for Abraham, then see Abraham sign for $3.1 million before the Giants/Steelers match. They've got to get the other signings done before they head into the RFA market, if that's what they're planning on doing.

Forget Cruz. Not gonna happen. The logic is very sound, however, and is likely relevant to the Sanders situation. I still that an offer to him is still likely at some point. BB is more patient than we (fans) are.

No one is going to offer a 2nd rounder for Mallett. You must be crazy.

The QB needy teams must be crazy, if they wouldn't consider offering a 2nd for Mallett yet would be willing to give up a early 2nd or even a first for the (QB) bums in this year's draft. If the Pats do get someone to bite for a 2nd, please return to the forum and apologize. If I were BB, I wouldn't part with him for anything less.

The QB needy teams must be crazy, if they wouldn't consider offering a 2nd for Mallett yet would be willing to give up a early 2nd or even a first for the (QB) bums in this year's draft. If the Pats do get someone to bite for a 2nd, please return to the forum and apologize. If I were BB, I wouldn't part with him for anything less.

I'd gladly part for a 3rd plus conditional 2014 whatever. Maybe even a high 4th plus a better conditional. Use the 3rd to trade up in the 2nd and get a targeted player. Nobody is gonna offer a 2nd for a guy with zero NFL resume when they can start fresh. Cassel got a 2nd after posting 11 starting wins and even then BB thru in Vrable.

I'd gladly part for a 3rd plus conditional 2014 whatever. Maybe even a high 4th plus a better conditional. Use the 3rd to trade up in the 2nd and get a targeted player. Nobody is gonna offer a 2nd for a guy with zero NFL resume when they can start fresh. Cassel got a 2nd after posting 11 starting wins and even then BB thru in Vrable.

What does "when they can start fresh" mean? Is it..."talent be damned, it's all about the freshness" ??

And Mallett's rookie contract is ending soon, and the price for nothing will go even higher. He's got an arm. He's got bad wheels, doesn't seem to read the D very well, doesn't move around the pocket well. He's need a HOF OL to keep from getting killed. He's a BB shot in the dark. Since he's not the heir to Brady, why not dress the pig in a dress and pretend he's worth something. I'd be happy to take a 3rd rounder for him with a conditional next year. This draft might be light in the first 20 picks, but there a number of interesting players from 35-120 or so.

Cash in and move on.

Sort of like all of the QBs in the draft?

I continue to be amazed at those who want a 2nd (or 3rd) round draft choice so much that they would go into the season with Kafka as our backup QB.

Perhaps we should trade Kafka for a 3rd. After all, Kafka has actually played in the nil.

I continue to be amazed at those who want a 2nd (or 3rd) round draft choice so much that they would go into the season with Kafka as our backup QB.

Perhaps we should trade Kafka for a 3rd. After all, Kafka has actually played in the nil.

Probably not winning a super bowl with Mallett anyways....I'd give him up for a 2nd easily.

Probably not winning a super bowl with Mallett anyways....I'd give him up for a 2nd easily.

What if by some chance, Mallett has to start four or five games, do we throw in the towel and just look ahead to 2014?

You miss the point. Brady could be out for 4 or 5 games early in the season or in the middle of the season. Our backup might then be the critical factor in whether we make the playoffs, and then have a chance to win a Super Bowl with Brady.

The backup QB is an important role. Perhaps the team trusts Kafka (not all that unreasonable). If so, we can trade Mallett for whatever we can get, probably during the draft. Curiously, Kafka is probably worth a pick to a team that just missed on a QB in the draft.

What if by some chance, Mallett has to start four or five games, do we throw in the towel and just look ahead to 2014?

Damn, did not think of that. Good point. Shame Cassel signed with Vikes.

I'll take a 3rd for Kafka, or The Hammah

I have a feeling that we are going to end up trading Mallett to the Browns for a late round pick this year (6th or 7th) & a 2nd round pick in 2014.

Why?
* Browns do not have a 2nd round pick in 2013.
* 2013 is a weak draft class
* The Browns will probably pay more than any other team for Mallett.
* Belichick loves to stockpile picks for future years.
* Considering we only have 4 picks in this draft another late pick would help now

When we still had significant cap room, I really thought we were going to make a move for an established receiver, especially after we cut Lloyd. It looks much less likely now.

I wouldn't mind trading Mallett for Greg Little though. He's put up pretty solid seasons with craptacular QB play. And his cap number would be extremely friendly.

I realize Hernandez is on the field a lot. But our WR depth is Amendola and Jones and then nothing, right? Even if we re-sign Edelman and draft a WR in the first, this still seems dangerously thin.

I have a feeling that we are going to end up trading Mallett to the Browns for a late round pick this year (6th or 7th) & a 2nd round pick in 2014.

Why?
* Considering we only have 4 picks in this draft another late pick would help now

Just gotta point that out!

Considering we only have 4 picks in this draft another late pick would help now

We have 5 total picks (2 seventh rds, one which came back with Talib).

There's probably a decent possibility of Belichick trading down in one of the rounds to accumulate an additional pick, which would give us 6.

But our WR depth is Amendola and Jones and then nothing, right? Even if we re-sign Edelman and draft a WR in the first, this still seems dangerously thin.

Belichick will bring in 5-6-7 more WRs like any other year to compete for spots. At the moment we only have 2 real ones in Amendola and Jones. There will be plenty of other WRs brought in through free agency, cap casualties, and the draft. There is also the potential of a trade or RFA pillaging from PIT.

A 6th or 7th round pick is equivalent to a priority UDFA. A 2nd round pick next year is equivalent to a 3rd round pick this year in a draft that will have mediocre talents by the time you get to round 3.

If that's the offer and I'm BB, I say thanks but no thanks. Give me a 1st next year or 2nd plus conditional 2nd type deal and I'll think about it. A quality backup QB is important to have in the fold unless you get a GOOD offer that actually makes you stop and think if you want to do it.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back