Welcome to PatsFans.com

Something I am sick of hearing

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BradfordPatsFan, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I am sick of hearing Charger fans, football fans in general, media types, and just about everyone else say that the Patriots' defense is "old" and that could be their weak point today vs the Chargers.

By my count, there are three guys who are over the age of 33 who are "key contributers" to the defense. Seau, Bru, and Harrison.

If we stretch "old" to being 30+ years old, I guess you add AD and Vrabel to that list. However, Vrabel didn't play much early in his career with Pittsburgh as he was behind some really good LB's, and he does not have the "miles" on him that some other 32 year old LB's may.

So now we have five out of, say, twenty "key" contributers (say, 20 players or so) on defense who are over the age of 30.

I have it but I guess that I love watching these people grasp for straws in hope of finding some way that the Patriots will lose.
  2. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Good point--on average the Pats are actually young at a bunch of spots. I think that comes from the fact that where the Pats ARE getting long in the tooth is such a key area of Belichick teams--LB. As you say, if you go by 30+, it's almost all of them. Harrison's been a leader on the D as well. So, it's not completely off-base....the playmakers on D are in fact getting up there.

Hey, they gotta point to SOMETHING as a potential weakness.
  3. GhostOfFoxboro

GhostOfFoxboro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Look for Bellichick to get younger at Linebacker next year. Our defense is still quite good, but if you haven't noticed they older linebackers looking a little tired and not looking their sharpest the second half of the season, I'm not sure what games you were looking at.

Last week the defense did a good job of holding the Jags to six points in the second half, but for the first half the Jags were marching down the field. The defense gave up first downs all game. they aren't incompetent or totally ineffective or anything, but they certainly haven't looked nearly as good as past Pats linebacking corps. I think it's fair for people to say that the speed and strength of the Bolts running game could exploit these older players at times.
  4. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I sick of hear how the Chargers won their last six games and are the hottest team in the playoffs. They played the Lions, Chiefs, Oakland, Ravens, and Denver. Not exactly the cream of the NFL crop.

How about the Pats winning 17 in a row? It would seem even to a football novice that the team with a 17 game winning streak would be the hotter team.
  5. FaulkNBrown

FaulkNBrown Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They actually won their last eight including more hapless teams Tennessee which required some questionable refereeing/review, and a battered Indy(not including the two playoff games).
  6. angelaf

angelaf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I totally agree but I think they have to do that because what else can they say?
  7. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Eight. Six. My point is still valid. The win at Indy was impressive. I'll give 'em that. But that's probably more about the Chargers just having the personnel that matches up well with Indy. Add that to the fact that Indy didn't do any planning for Volek (not to take anything away from his performance).
  8. khantot

khantot Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

------------

Yes, the same Ravens that your team 'beat' by a field goal? You clearly lost in that game but was helped by the now ex-coach Billick. San Diego only beat the Ravens by 18 points, minus Castillo and Jamal Williams.

Lame my friend.
  9. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Okay but they DID beat the Ravens, correct? Let me check the standings.....

Wait for it.....

Yeah, they did beat the Ravens. They almost lost so that would mean they won the game. Oh, but the Ravens created a blueprint on how to beat the Pats...:rolleyes:
  10. GhostOfFoxboro

GhostOfFoxboro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Ravens also lost to the Dolphins for God's sake. Any given sunday and all of that, sometimes teams just have problems with certain other teams. But let's not say the Ravens were a great team this year cause they had a good day against the Pats in a game they ultimately lost. Despite the trouble the gave the Pats, I don't consider a win of the Ravens this year a quality win.
  11. Flying Fungi

Flying Fungi Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That is your prerogative, but I consider it a quality win.

As to the OP:

Those 3 'old' men accounted for 24 tackles, 3 passes defensed and an INT last week.

F*** the naysayers. 2 of those 'old' men are Canton bound and the 3rd will likely have his number retired by the team.
  12. khantot

khantot Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

----------------------------------

Shouldn't that count as a 'quality' loss for the Ravens, considering that they almost beat a 'perfect' team?
  13. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Teams can take away moral victories so long as the Pats keep getting the ones that count.
  14. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Meh, they had to find something. When the O is this amazing the D is going to take the blunt of the bad press. I forget who it was (Boomer maybe) that said on the radio earlier this week they may not be the best D inthe NFL but, they are the best of the 4 teams left.
  15. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +159 / 22 / -10

#18 Jersey

Nor does Thomas, who was a special teams maven for the first few years of his career but didn't experience the game-by-game tear and grind associated with playing alot of snaps at linebacker.
  16. angelaf

angelaf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I love that one. "But the Ravens almost beat the Patriots!" Yeah, ALMOST. No one is remembered for almost winning a game.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.