PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Reality Regarding Our Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Miami game was really the best defense the Pats have shown, with 20 combination hit/sacks/pressures; a large number of 3 and outs; and a good 3rd down ratio. There will be a time when people will recognize that Henne had a career game that night. Unfortunately with him gone for the year, it won't be soon ;).

Since that time the D has sucked and while its had its moments, we are what our numbers say we are, to paraphrase the Big Tuna. However it also has to be noted that the Defense has missed a SIGNIFICANT number of players over the last 3 games. Now most of them will be back for the Jets game, and if we get anything CLOSE to that 20 combination of sacks/QB hits/pressures, then this defense could be well on its way to the improvement we all hope is coming

After getting a gift INT in the redzone thrown by Campbell. After allowing Chad Henne to throw for more than 400 yards. After giving up no fewer than 448 yards per game. After failing to hold the lead against the Bills and costing the team a game it should have won. After helping to put those offenses in the top 10 of the NFL.

Perspective..........

Pathetic Patriots D against Oakland = 20 points

Awesome Rex Ryan Jets D against Oakland = 38 points

Perspective............

You could go on and on about how lucky the Pats D is given the bad decision making of some of the QB's they've faced.

However, if you saw the Jets games against Jacksonville and Dallas, you would realize (or, at least others around you would realize) that the Patriots are not the only team in the NFL this year to face some stupid quaterbacks.

The Jets haven't faced Fitzpatrick or Rivers.

Our D is not as good as the Jets D. But the gap is far narrower on D than it is between our O and theirs.

It's a team game. if our offense is the best in the NFL and our D is merely average, then I like our chances in the playoffs. There are no teams this year in the NFL that are the '85 Bears defense and the '00 Rams offense.

Last edited:
The Miami game was really the best defense the Pats have shown, with 20 combination hit/sacks/pressures; a large number of 3 and outs; and a good 3rd down ratio. There will be a time when people will recognize that Henne had a career game that night. Unfortunately with him gone for the year, it won't be soon ;).

Since that time the D has sucked and while its had its moments, we are what our numbers say we are, to paraphrase the Big Tuna. However it also has to be noted that the Defense has missed a SIGNIFICANT number of players over the last 3 games. Now most of them will be back for the Jets game, and if we get anything CLOSE to that 20 combination of sacks/QB hits/pressures, then this defense could be well on its way to the improvement we all hope is coming

Our front 7 did it's job against Miami. It was our secondary that failed us big time in that game. The reason why Henne had a career game was because our guys just couldn't cover a lick or where not able to make a play on the ball when they were in position.

Maybe thats cause Fat Al was healthy, atleast I hope so. Hopefully he does the same this weekend

I'm predicting a big game for Andre Carter.

Pathetic Patriots D against Oakland = 20 points

Awesome Rex Ryan Jets D against Oakland = 38 points

Perspective............

No two games play out the same, so what one team does against the Raiders isn't a 1:1 comparison to what another team does against the Raiders, AND the Jets are 2-2 and struggling.

Are you really going to keep going down this road when I simply pointed out the ranking the numbers from inside and outside the redzone had led to in terms of points allowed, without any comment pro or con, and the guy who'd posted the initial stats has even give my post about the 20th ranking a "like"?

Perspective............

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of recent threads are about how our defense is not as bad as it seems. So are people really satisfied with this defense or are they just trying to convince themselves?

Seems like a lot of recent threads are about how our defense is not as bad as it seems. So are people really satisfied with this defense or are they just trying to convince themselves?

Its bad throughout the game on average, atleast pass defense. Run defense not too shabby, we rank 9th or 10th, I believe.

As mentioned earlier, this team steps up big time when it counts. We are number 1 in the red zone, example of this really protruded in the San Diego and Raiders game.

Our defense could be compared to Mark Sanchez? How?

Its play is mediocre throughout the game but then when it counts, makes the plays neccassary to win the game.

Last edited:
After getting a gift INT in the redzone thrown by Campbell.
Yeah, the same Campbell that does stupid things every game. I'm just not smart enough to expect a player to do things he does game after game. That's why I hit myself on the head-I'm sure it's not going to hurt this time.

Also, the lucky INT in Miami was all skill on the Dolphins. Lucky only comes to us. Why did Napolean ask if a discussed officer was lucky?

After allowing Chad Henne to throw for more than 400 yards.

Yup, I judge a QB on how many yards he can rack up late in the 4th qtr down three TD's. I don't understand why Gruden and Jaws noted at 8:48 in the 4th qtr that the Dolphins have done nothing all game.

Obviously they are so stupid they are doing analysis. Listen to me. I provide Douchalysis. Evaluating performance while the game is still being decided is so pre-2011.

After giving up no fewer than 448 yards per game.

Because yards are all important. What's up with this winning/losing crap?

After failing to hold the lead against the Bills and costing the team a game it should have won.

Why did that defense throw that pick six? In Douchalysis, Brady throwing a pick six doesn't count because it's points. That doesn't count in Douchalysis because if it did, someone would be exposed as really dumb.

Analysis says turnover differential is the most important stat for determining a winner. In Douchalysis, we don't care nor do turnovers matter so we just ignore.

After helping to put those offenses in the top 10 of the NFL.

By keeping the top ten offense played below below their season averages.

Perspective..........

shmessy

Courtesy? Really?

And that equals 20th in scoring defense.

20th in scoring defense isn't that bad when you consider how much actual garbage time has been in the games the Pats have played. Throw in a major rash of short-term injuries, and maybe even you could change your perspective.

We've had 4 weeks of exposure to the NFL. Whilst acknowledging the Pats defense isn't fantastic, on face value it doesn't seem as bad as some.

Lol ummm, these actually arent my stats. I saw them on the Boston. blog and decided to post them in the thread that relates to our defense being not as bad as it seems.

Sorry for contributing to the thread. Won't happen again. :rolleyes:

Kid~Brady :confused:

Really dude? I'd like to introduce you to a friend of mine, his name is Sarcasm..... you two ought to try to get to know each other a little better.

My post wasn't a knock on you at all, it on all the naysayers that refuse to look at rational stats because they think their "eye test" is a better measure. I'll been posting the same things about our defense for the past couple weeks and getting nothing but crap for it.

Our front 7 did it's job against Miami. It was our secondary that failed us big time in that game. The reason why Henne had a career game was because our guys just couldn't cover a lick or where not able to make a play on the ball when they were in position.

Yeah, FAILURE means being up THREE TOUCHDOWNS with 5 minutes to go on route to a two touchdown VICTORY.

FAILURE means giving up 268 TOTAL YARDS with 8 minutes to go when the game went well in hand because the defense made two great stops to let the offense ice it

If we want to talk FAILURE, it's time to discuss why we keep hearing the same complete nonsense from the village idiots.

Ian, really?

Last edited:
No two games play out the same, so what one team does against the Raiders isn't a 1:1 comparison to what another team does against the Raiders, AND the Jets are 2-2 and struggling.

Translation in the bubble:

Huh? You mean both the Jets and Patriots played the Raiders in Oakland and...it was back to back? look at me, am I suppose to know that's relavent?

Common on, Douche..... think up something really stupid and post it.... and maybe you can con them into thinking your really not that clueless.

Oh,Oh I know......here we go........

Are you really going to keep going down this road when I simply pointed out the ranking the numbers from inside and outside the redzone had led to in terms of points allowed, without any comment pro or con, and the guy who'd posted the initial stats has even give my post about the 20th ranking a "like"?

Perspective............

Ian seriously, really? this is what you want?

Last edited:
patsfaninpittsburgh why are you complaining to the mods? Disagreements occur all the time (I know I'm a part of that on a daily basis). That only reflects poorly on you.

So, basically, you want us to ban Deus Irae because you don't agree with his point of vew?

I don't agree with what he's saying either. But no, PFiP, that's not how it works.

In life, people don't always agree with each other.

Last edited:
patsfaninpittsburgh why are you complaining to the mods? Disagreements occur all the time (I know I'm a part of that on a daily basis). That only reflects poorly on you.

Not complaining, just imploring a little reflection or a redefinition of the civility statutes.

Thread after thread is being dragged down with the same continual nonsense.

Nonsense is not fine wine, cheese, or women.

Being 4-0 with this defense is a fluke.
Not with this defense. No QB will be able to keep this team winning before crashing down.

You may argue Greenbay is similar; but at least it has pass rush (when it absolutely needed to have) and good corners.

As much as I am concerned with lack of talent on the field, the lack of talent on sideline (coaching) may be an issue also. BB's D SCHEME is suspect and out dated. Graduate assistant Matt Patricia as D cordinator, that is a joke, right? I would take Wade Phillips, Dom Capers, both Ryans, **** Lebau and near a doze others over BB as D cordinator. Right now. And 3 years ago. And 3 years from now.

If you don't believe me, give it another year or 2, and you will see how BB's D progresses. It's not (going to be) pretty.

I was the among the first to call Maroney a bust, and Chad Jackson a bust and was bashed and banned for it. I was among the first to question BB's drafting in 06, 07. Looks like I maybe right after all. But took many hits from this board. I didnot hear any apologies so far.

This place has many homers, blind to facts. They use statistics like Enron does accounting. It's all smoke and mirror. Makes them happier I guess.
Tell it like it is.

2723884 said:
Do we understand that we would be 4-0 if Brady had ONLY three interceptions against Buffalo? Do we understand that we have the best record in the AFC and one of the 2 best teams in the AFC by almost everyone's analysis except for those on this board?

Sure, we need to improve; but, this CURRENT team is good enough to be in the Conference Championship.

Last edited:
Not complaining, just imploring a little reflection or a redefinition of the civility statutes.

Thread after thread is being dragged down with the same continual nonsense.

Nonsense is not fine wine, cheese, or women.
I read it as you having a "sook" or "whinge" in a public forum appealing to a higher authority. If that wasn't your intention, then so be it.

I don't know Ian personally, but I'm fairly certain that he doesn't care that you got into a argument with Deus on this topic.

He probably a little busy mediate between the two of you. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes