Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicilian

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I know we have a number of people who do these, all of whom are more qualified than me. But for some much needed cathartics I thought I might spew out my thoughts on the game and see if anyone wants to join me. Otherwise I'm more than happy to rant to myself :D

1) I'm going to try to avoid the officiating for most of this (it's being discussed... well, EVERYWHERE), but I will make one point: I'm usually one to agree with the argument that, "Yeah, the refs screwed us, but if we'd just done X, Y, or Z, it never would have been in their hands." This is true, and certainly the mentality I want the team to have.

But this wasn't the Jets here. We are clearly a better team than the Jets, and to let that game get to the point where the refs could influence it was a travesty. But this was a 6-3 Carolina team, with the number 1 scoring defense, playing at home. Not many fans weren't expecting a dogfight that very well could come down to the last play. This is EXACTLY how this game was SUPPOSED to go, and to have the final play decided by the stripes is just a shame.

2) Coming into this game I thought the number of defensive injuries we'd suffered was ridiculous. It's blown right past that now into a Sisyphean nightmare where every time we get someone back (Talib) we lose two more (Dennard and Gregory). Now we still have no faith in Talib, and there's no reinforcements on the way. I love the kids (Jones, Ryan, Harmon), but I love them in specific roles, not as starters.

3) I would be more willing to give Cam Newton credit for some of his athletics last night if we hadn't seen a scramble like that in just about every game we've played this year. My biggest disappointment on that play was Chandler, as he needs to be the closer in those situations. He had a decent game and is having a great season, but that's the next step for him. Be that guy who makes the play when everything else is breaking down.

4) I'll end with some positives, because I'm just that kinda guy:

a) Both Dobson and Thompkins looked comfortable last night. Dobson is settling nicely into a starting outside receiver role, and I think Thompkins will be much better off in a limited capacity while he refines. Both made some big catches, and I didn't notice any obvious drops. There was the one apparent miscommunication with Aaron, but that's it.

b) Vereen is going to make a HUGE difference in this offense once he's healthy (and assuming he can remain so). First football in 10 weeks and he looked to be on the same page as Brady right away, made several big third down catches, and seems to be a matchup problem for even a good defensive team.

c) Boyce back to return kicks at least gives me some hope that we might see one dynamic return at some point this season. Slight hope, but hope nonetheless ;)

I'm optimistic with this offense as well, I think there are still plenty of time for improving with 6 games ahead before the playoffs.

We gotta consider that a bye week for a team still building chemistry can have this slow down effect. But even thought they played very well.

About the defense, it is what it is, we are f..ed, too many injuries, I'm not expecting anything better than Last few years d#, the offense will have to pull for them again.

I thought the defense was OK........they overpursued newton and got behind him.....big boo-boo.......play the game over again and he would not have those gains.

fact is that the carolina running backs couldn't do squat. newton had 3 big runs and each drive resulted in a TD. The defense just did not prepare enough to keep him in the pocket.

there is still some consistency problems with the offense and I can't stand half of the play calls at critical times....the last drive bothered me with how much they were trying to force it to dobson...they guy is coming along nicely, but C'MON!!! what the hell are you paying gronk all that moeny for? they had 3 time outs.....they should have gone down the middle sooner and more often.

I thought Brady and the offense was great. This game showed our biggest weakness, stopping the run, Carolina controlled the clock. Cam made some spectacular plays, but losing Wilfork/Kelly/Mayo killed our run defense. I fear in the playoffs when we play the Chiefs/Bengals it will be a difficult game.

I thought Brady and the offense was great. This game showed our biggest weakness, stopping the run, Carolina controlled the clock. Cam made some spectacular plays, but losing Wilfork/Kelly/Mayo killed our run defense. I fear in the playoffs when we play the Chiefs/Bengals it will be a difficult game.

I thought the D was pretty good against the run except for the QB scrambling when he couldn't find an open receiver.

I thought the D was pretty good against the run except for the QB scrambling when he couldn't find an open receiver.

outside of Cam, the Pats held their RBs to 16 carries for 41 yards. Cam's ability to scramble was THE reason their offense was successful

It's funny how just one judgement call can make the difference between heroics on one side and coronation on the other. I hate living by conditionals, however "if" the Patriots had won (and there are at least two conditionals in that statement), can you imagine the accolades that would be showered on the "rediscovered" Patriots offense? That is how close they came to a very fine if not wholly deserved win.

Give the Panthers their due, they played a very good game: careful, organized with just a dash of pyrotechnics from Cam "Hudini" Newton, they definitely deserve recognition as a force in this years race.

I find it hard to be critical of a defense that lost 5 of its starters (6 if you count a less than 100% Talib coming off in the 4th quarter). For heaven's sake we had 4 rookies (2 undrafted) with less than 12 Game Starts amongst them. To be that close even with 3 minutes to go speaks volumes for their grit and effort.

I cant blame Chandler Jones for the missed tackle on the QB, I doubt many linesmen could make it either, he and Nink are gamers and their play bodes well if we can get some healing done in the backfield.

I would also like to give a shout out to Sopoaga. He doesn't make spectacular plays, or give opposing teams 'OL fits like Wilfork, but the stats prove he was more than solid in the run game. This was meant to be the Panthers advantage - 3 healthy RB's each capable of running up our soft middle. But it never happened. I like our Samoan a lot.

I can accept the loss, though I still find it hard to swallow the NFL's obstinacy in not addressing the Offensive Holding penalty (which seems to be overlooked in the outcry over the PI). We played pretty well, make a couple of mistakes, two self inflicted, and came away with the knowledge that we are still a potent force. Our media-doubted offense dropped close to 400 yards on one of the top 3 overall Defenses in the league IN THEIR HOUSE.

Yes I would look forward immensely to a rematch in the icy Meadowlands in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes