PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI: Brady is Pissed and There WILL Be Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your argument relies on an unsubstantiated "what if" scenario. The only person trying to pass off a brain dead argument here is you. I think I'll stick to what actually occurred.

Perhaps you took the "two homeless guys" comment literally as well, and weren't able to comprehend the fact that it was hyperbole. Regardless, the defense did not play up to par in the postseason, with the exception of the Indy game. And even in that game, an ELITE defense was not required, as our offense completely obliterated the Colts. I never once said the defense of 2014 was not a good one. Just that it dropped off in the playoffs against a couple of offenses that were not high powered by any means.

You have no idea how what you would deem to be a "lesser defense" would have performed. The 2011 defense was far inferior in talent level and it was what I'd imagine you'd deem a "lesser defense," but played much better in the playoffs. The difference between the two defenses was the clutch factor. The 2014 D made the plays required to seal a victory, while the 2011 D did not. Those defenders who made those plays that sealed the game are still on the team.

No **** it's a team game. My whole point is that I'm comfortable with this team despite the losses on the defense. We weren't able to keep everyone. I am glad we decided to ensure less turnover in the unit that was most responsible for our SB victory - the offensive unit.

No. I'm laughing at your assertion that the defense had very little to nothing to do with the playoff run and it was all on the offense when...

1. They made key stops in the first and second half to get the ball back to the O so the multiple 14 point comebacks could happen.

2. They picked off Flacco twice, one time to seal the win.

3. They held Indy to 7 points.

4. They held Russell Wilson without a completion until late in the first half when our offense wasn't fully on track yet.

Those four examples alone had just as much to do with those wins as the offense. The offense needs the defense to put the ball in it's hands to score more points than the opposing offense. This is a very simple concept that you are somehow missing. Or perhaps maybe you're under the impression that the offense did those four things?

In fairness, you should also have outed the poster who iconed "Agree" (which I suspect will now mysteriously be deleted).

Props to the posters who kept it positive!

Nope. Whoever PaulNEPats is gets to own that "Agree".

Why would you think differently?

(And BTW, PaulNEPats is not the one hypocritically telling other people that they should have watched a postseason they gave up upon in this very forum). ;)

In fairness, you should also have outed the poster who iconed "Agree" (which I suspect will now mysteriously be deleted).

Props to the posters who kept it positive!

You may blame cellphones. Turns out that between spotty internet connection & fat fingers, I've selected the wrong response dozens of times and had a few that I didn't notice & correct.

(No, I was/am not the Agree guy)

Nope. Whoever PaulNEPats is gets to own that "Agree".

Why would you think differently?

(And BTW, PaulNEPats is not the one hypocritically telling other people that they should have watched a postseason they gave up upon in this very forum). ;)
Easy there.
I was being sarcastic. I completely agree.

What about it? With the way our offense was producing down the stretch, we could have had two homeless guys off the street replace Revis and Browner and we still would have been unstoppable.

I agree, people are calling this a "weak" secondary before its even stepped foot on the field. Last I checked, we have a top 3 Free Safety which is very hard to find, harder than a CB.

The Colts had a great secondary, I wonder how that worked out for them in a Championship game last year.. didn't they get the doors blown off of them?

It will be funny though, Week 1 the first time someone completes a 5 yard pass against us people are going to have a melt down about the secondary. The defense is still in good shape, and what they lost in secondary talent they gained in front 7 talent both from new acquisitions as well as guys returning from injury.

Its going to be a fun year, and they absolutely have a legitimate chance to win another SB.

The defense will be helped by the offense, they are complimentary units and both need to be doing their part. Teams are going to be playing from behind a lot this year because of our Offense... the only player the Pats lost that is of any consequence is Vereen.

Gronk isn't rehabbing during training camp and to start the season
We have a true #2 TE
LaFell won't be learning the offense for the first time
We'll have continuity along the offensive line and not have the Mankins trade whirlwind this time
Amendola will be healthy and was starting to really perform late last year
Dobson will have another chance to disappoint us all

The defense is looking real good too in that front 7...

Easley will be healthy and ready to go
Mayo, the defensive captain, will be back and healthy
Brown to take over Wilforks role.. a nice luxury to land a talent like him as Wilfork is leaving
Tons of pass rushing talent
McCourty, a top 3 safety is extended for 5 years

Last edited:
Whoa!!!!! I just noticed........

I wrote that post that night in direct response to.............

You guessed it! :p

Hey Fourier, thanks for telling me to check out the postseason. That was FUN!

It would have been impossible to lose both.

Don't act needlessly and deliberately ridiculous. It does you no credit. Naturally, if they'd lost to the Ravens, they'd never have gotten to the Seahawks. That's how single elimination playoffs work.

You're embarrassing yourself, again.

Last edited:
I agree, people are calling this a "weak" secondary before its even stepped foot on the field. Last I checked, we have a top 3 Free Safety which is very hard to find, harder than a CB

Shutdown CBs are harder to find than a top 3 FS.

Colts had a great secondary?

Last edited:
I dunno, I thought it ended quite nicely!
The only people I know who would disagree with that would be my cardiologist and my neighbors here in Manhattan when the screams erupted in my apartment after The Pick.

The only people I know who would disagree with that would be my cardiologist and my neighbors here in Manhattan when the screams erupted in my apartment after The Pick.

"RAPE!!!" screamed your next door Jet fan neighbors...the Goodells and Kensils. This season you should drill spy holes in the wall and get their looks of catatonic misery, as they mindlessly take pressure readings of their colons.

1. They made key stops in the first and second half to get the ball back to the O so the multiple 14 point comebacks could happen.

2. They picked off Flacco twice, one time to seal the win.

3. They held Indy to 7 points.

4. They held Russell Wilson without a completion until late in the first half when our offense wasn't fully on track yet.

Just to add to your thoughts, the 4th quarter defense that occurred in the three postseason games was likely the biggest difference maker between that elusive 4th ring and another heartbreaking loss.

I don't have concrete numbers and am just going off of memory alone, but I don't believe they allowed more than 3 total points in the fourth quarter of those three games combined.

Honestly...we can vent and hold grudges against every person in the media who has spoken ill of our team or TB12 over deflate gate. We can say "F 'em". I'm cool with that. But at the same time it means something to have some talking heads at least half way changing their tone.

Peter King has been pretty good recently about the whole thing. Florio has strongly had our back for a while now (regardless of agenda). Rodney was a straight A-hole earlier on (very disappointing) but has now spoken positively of Brady kicking ass. Collinsworth was a douche during the Super Bowl but is at least acknowledging that maybe nothing happened at all. Those are just some things that stick out to me and I know that there are other voices who have either fully defended Brady or indicated that it does not matter.

Considering where we were in the immideate aftermath of the Wells Report it is always a little nice to see when a former player, or pundit is willing to at least semi defend/compliment Brady or raise questions about the whole thing. I tend to say "screw them all!" but truthfully I want progress toward this ******** being diminished or put down entirely. I won't forget all the voices who condemned Tom but every little bit helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News