PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Be Water, My Friend" The Life Lesson the Patriots Taught Sunday Night (and this entire season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Edelman’s Super Bowl Catch: Gravity-Defying, History-Making | The MMQB with Peter King

“You gotta be like water,” Edelman said later, citing an aphorism of martial artist Bruce Lee that is also a favorite of his quarterback. That was his reaction to the mistake: Don’t dwell on obstacles, but rather adjust to the situation and move around them.

OF COURSE! - There it is. In all its glory.

The life lesson, the New England Patriots took from the ageless teachings (and, of course, Bruce Lee)

Tom Brady’s Bruce Lee-Inspired Playoff Hype Video Is Downright Spine-Tingling

The 31 other teams of the NFL do not live within the same plane of existence as the New England Patriots.

Consider:

1) All week long, we heard from Dan Quinn how the Falcons "already had in the can" their gameplan. Belichick, on the other hand kept talking about not rushing to get the gameplan done, but making sure the team had the concept perfected until moving to the next.

2) The Falcons players kept crowing "We don't change - - we just do what we do!" (Being the "Cup") As we all know, the Patriots uniquely gameplan for the particular opponent (Being the "Water). Super Bowl 49 was won on a defensive set (Goal Line Set with 3 Corners) that they had NEVER shown all season long). Last week, reports were that the Patriots were still installing new plays on the 72 hours before the game. Even earlier during the off-week, the difference was stark etween what the two coaches were saying:
Belichick, Thursday January 26th: "“It’s somewhere between 50 and 100 (percent),” Belichick said when asked how much of the game plan he wants installed before traveling. “Somewhere in there. We’ll be certainly more than halfway there.”

Belichick says you prepare for everything in Super Bowl, especially trick plays

Quinn, Sunday January 29th: "Before the Falcons left Sunday for Houston, Quinn talked about how the installation of the game plan progressed throughout the week. He was asked how much tweaking goes on once the Falcons begin practices in Houston. "Not much," Quinn said. "It's important while we're right here in our environment to get everything ready. We have a real process that we go through to get ready from Wednesday, through Thursday, through Friday. And the players nailed that in terms of our first- and second-down stuff.

"Now when we get down to Texas, there will for sure be minor things that we may tweak here and there. But honestly, it's about going through it again: getting the rules down, getting the information down exactly like we want so we can play at max speed. That's when we're at our best, when that speed comes to life. The more work that you put in, and the more readies you have when you get to that spot, now you're really ready to let it rip because of the fact that you've put the work in."

Falcons shift to finishing-touch phase on Super Bowl game plan

3) Obviously, one aspect of the gameplan was Blount Force Trauma - - however, the adjusted out of that (Water finding another gap/outlet to flow) when that was not getting it done on several levels. I was exceptionally impressed by that Atlanta DL - - they were stout on the run and they were getting after Brady. I turned to my wife and kids in that early 3rd quarter and muttered "Who expected the 2007 NY Giants DL to show up on the other side tonight?" To me it was shocking. To BB and the Pats, it was merely a wall of the cup to be circumvented.

4) The Tortoise almost always beats the Hare: 62 drop backs? Yes, perhaps it was because they got behind so early, but a good bet that it also was part of the thinking this week when people were asking "How are they going to keep up with a speedy dome team with 2 weeks to rest their wheels in a DOME?" Answer: Ali Rope a Dope. Let them expend their energy and then knock 'em out when they have drained it.

Be Water, My Friend.

Last edited:
Right now, I'm drinking alot of water.

I can report that the water is winning.

Great post! The Pats are the zen masters of the NFL. You could tell this Super Bowl was already won when Bill called them "special" and Tom started getting all metaphysical on us.

Great post! The Pats are the zen masters of the NFL. You could tell this Super Bowl was already won when Bill called them "special" and Tom started getting all metaphysical on us.

Thanks. What is most mindblowing is that the rest of the league doesn't try to emulate them. Every single team puts athleticism over mindfulness. Players on other teams worry about their "branding" more than their team winning.

What I find so interesting about the resiliance of this team is that it played over 90% of the time this year from AHEAD. And certainly never so far behind as they got in the superbowl. So to have the mental toughness to key playing one play at a time, is amazing, but to succeed the first time you have been put in that position, is astonishing.

Hightower to Freeman: "Be water my friend, let the Patriots line go right by you."

What I find so interesting about the resiliance of this team is that it played over 90% of the time this year from AHEAD. And certainly never so far behind as they got in the superbowl. So to have the mental toughness to key playing one play at a time, is amazing, but to succeed the first time you have been put in that position, is astonishing.

I can't seem to find a word that adequately describes this team. Astounding. Remarkable. Incredible. Even Super and Champion don't seem to come close to describing them. Just call them The Greatest.

Read Bruce Lee's Jeet Kun Do as a child and this message has stuck with me so much.

It's a philosophical thought that not much people employ but often has the best results. Means-end analysis. A chicken is dumb enough to walk up to a wall and accept that it is blocked, doing nothing. One should step back from the wall, adjust the goal to simply figuring out how to get around it and suddenly your new goal gets you closer to your final objective.

A very simplified way of looking at it, but nonetheless.

What blows my mind, honestly, and what's the most difficult part of this school of thought is when to know that your new method or way is getting the job done. Being in the hole 25 pts makes everything look futile. Bill had the genius to know that certain aspects were working so he stuck with those pillars. That effing blows my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back