PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we work Marcus Jones in the offense?

Love The Drake

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
The limited amount of time he was displayed on offense the kid was electric running routes and with the ball in his hands.

I don’t think it’s the worst idea to trial it in practice and if anything make a d back respect his quickness and speed to open up other outlets.

Thoughts?

Chris, I think our problems with our offense has been the O-line and not the skilled positions. Although Jones is dynamic and a good play maker, I'd rather have him focus on the defensive side of the ball where we need him the most and he'll have the most impact. Just my 2 cents though.

I wouldn't be opposed to this in future years, but let the kid refine his defense and returning this year. It would be much easier to do this when he has a full year under his belt already.

Think they have a couple of gadget plays for him. Nothing that will ever be practiced in front of any audience, so we won't really know anything until it happens in a game.

May be down the line. Not as a rookie trying to learn how to play CB in the NFL. Even Dieon Sanders really didn’t get involved in offense until much later in his career (though I do see he had one reception as a rookie).

Chris, I think our problems with our offense has been the O-line and not the skilled positions. Although Jones is dynamic and a good play maker, I'd rather have him focus on the defensive side of the ball where we need him the most and he'll have the most impact. Just my 2 cents though.
You don't think we are missing a certain 6'3 205lb lb WR with the surname "Conley?"

The limited amount of time he was displayed on offense the kid was electric running routes and with the ball in his hands.

I don’t think it’s the worst idea to trial it in practice and if anything make a d back respect his quickness and speed to open up other outlets.

Thoughts?

The kid is a playmaker, hands with speed. I think this is something we explore!

Thoughts?

When he was drafted I had similar thoughts, would absolutely love to seem him in the slot offensively. The only problem is he's needed more on defense to help mitigate people like Tyreek Hill.

When he was drafted I had similar thoughts, would absolutely love to seem him in the slot offensively. The only problem is he's needed more on defense to help mitigate people like Tyreek Hill.
I’m saying I’d explore putting him in packages for third down and goal line to take advantage of his quickness.
He’s a problem to Match up.
Playing both ways could possibly also speed up his develop by learning WR and DB tendencies.
I guess it depends on his football IQ and his comfort of what he and his coaching staff believes he can handle and grow into.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back