PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we be worried about the defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pathetic. Jason Campbell had a decent half in the preseason and people are already saying that Hobbs would still be the #1 on this team? Sorry, but you have to be a complete idiot to think that. I drew the opposite conclusion-- we are running vanilla defenses against an offense that was absolutely determined not to stink it up this time.

I saw much more physical play from the secondary in this game than I saw last year.

Wilhite got picked on? On what planet? He had three tackles the entire game and a pass deflection. Did I mention the pick returned for a TD? If anything, he played better than Bodden did.

The two TD's we gave up in this game weren't even through the air. If you were paying attention, you would have seen some great play from Bodden in the end zone. He broke up a big pass to Malcolm Kelly and broke up another one later.

We broke down on the pass to Chris Cooley because Bruschi was covering him and passed him off to a safety who just wasn't there. Again, the result of playing a vanilla scheme. And besides that, even the best secondaries give up big plays now and then.

Bodden had good coverage on the big pass to Moss. Had he gone for the hit instead of the pick, and pushed Santana out of bounds, that play is likely incomplete. Hopefully, he learns from his mistake.

On the TD that Campbell ran in, coverage was perfect. If Lenon hadn't fallen for Campbell's pump fake, it was a sack and a field goal instead of a run for a touchdown.

We got good pressure on Jason throughout the game, but he was strong in the pocket and didn't look at the rush. Frankly Jason is a much better QB than he is given credit for; the Skins oline was getting dominated--especially on running plays-- and he still played well.

Just FYI, we recorded 10 QB hits, 4 sacks, and 4 pass deflections throughout the game. By comparison, the skins recorded 3 QB hits and 1 sack. All with our vanilla defense.

I think I've had enough of the fools on this board.
Good write-up, where did you get the QB hit data? I agree Campbell is pretty good, like O'Connell he'd struggle with the short game, but has the big arm for down field. He could be developed here. If Hobbs hadn't been traded I expect he and Wilhite would have started camp as starters, from there who knows? I thought I saw Bru and Meriweather discussing the Cooley play and I was thinking that was a Safety mistake - especially against Cooley.

You can choose to believe that Springs who is paid $4.55M this year is not going to start.

Barring a complete collapse in the last pre-season game, I think Wilhite will be a starter on opening day...I actually think there is a better chance of him starting than Bodden...I would like to see it become a competition between Bodden and Butler for the other starting CB job...Bodden has underwhelmed so far, while I've been VERY happy with Butler's play...he doesn't look like a rookie to me...

This is pathetic. Jason Campbell had a decent half in the preseason and people are already saying that Hobbs would still be the #1 on this team? Sorry, but you have to be a complete idiot to think that. I drew the opposite conclusion-- we are running vanilla defenses against an offense that was absolutely determined not to stink it up this time.

I saw much more physical play from the secondary in this game than I saw last year.

Wilhite got picked on? On what planet? He had three tackles the entire game and a pass deflection. Did I mention the pick returned for a TD? If anything, he played better than Bodden did.

The two TD's we gave up in this game weren't even through the air. If you were paying attention, you would have seen some great play from Bodden in the end zone. He broke up a big pass to Malcolm Kelly and broke up another one later.

We broke down on the pass to Chris Cooley because Bruschi was covering him and passed him off to a safety who just wasn't there. Again, the result of playing a vanilla scheme. And besides that, even the best secondaries give up big plays now and then.

Bodden had good coverage on the big pass to Moss. Had he gone for the hit instead of the pick, and pushed Santana out of bounds, that play is likely incomplete. Hopefully, he learns from his mistake.

On the TD that Campbell ran in, coverage was perfect. If Lenon hadn't fallen for Campbell's pump fake, it was a sack and a field goal instead of a run for a touchdown.

We got good pressure on Jason throughout the game, but he was strong in the pocket and didn't look at the rush. Frankly Jason is a much better QB than he is given credit for; the Skins oline was getting dominated--especially on running plays-- and he still played well.

Just FYI, we recorded 10 QB hits, 4 sacks, and 4 pass deflections throughout the game. By comparison, the skins recorded 3 QB hits and 1 sack. All with our vanilla defense.

Post of the week, anybody who thinks Hobbs is better than Bodden is delusional.

I'd add Springs, the man that is being paid $4.55M to play the other corner for us this year.

Post of the week, anybody who thinks Hobbs is better than Bodden is delusional.

Nice post. As I've said many times, the defense is still feeling itself out and has yet to come together, but the improved speed, athleticism, and aggressiveness evident. As you say, the secondary (and the defense as a whole) has been noticeably more physical compared with last year. Lots of little things are suggestive of good things to come: Butler always being in on the play, such as recovering both Chung fumbled punts; Wheatley running step for step with Wilhite on the 99 yard interception return, making sure no Redskin got near him; and, as you mention, the perfect red zone pass coverage on the Jason Campbell touchdown run. The red zone coverage is noticeably improved. Bodden and Wilhite have been solid in coverage. After playing a soft zone much of last year where the opposing receivers had ridiculous cushions, I don't really mind a few mistakes from being overly aggressive such as Bodden going for the INT intead of the incompletion on the pass from Campbell to Moss. The only major complaint I had with Bodden's play was his missed tackle on the 73 yard pass and run from Campbell to Chris Cooley, which allowed an extra 20 yards on the play.

I for one have not missed Ellis Hobbs.

I would rather have Hobbs than Wheatley or Slater. I'd rather have Hobbs as a returner. I do agree I do not miss Hobbs as a starting corner.

Nice post. As I've said many times, the defense is still feeling itself out and has yet to come together, but the improved speed, athleticism, and aggressiveness evident. As you say, the secondary (and the defense as a whole) has been noticeably more physical compared with last year. Lots of little things are suggestive of good things to come: Butler always being in on the play, such as recovering both Chung fumbled punts; Wheatley running step for step with Wilhite on the 99 yard interception return, making sure no Redskin got near him; and, as you mention, the perfect red zone pass coverage on the Jason Campbell touchdown run. The red zone coverage is noticeably improved. Bodden and Wilhite have been solid in coverage. After playing a soft zone much of last year where the opposing receivers had ridiculous cushions, I don't really mind a few mistakes from being overly aggressive such as Bodden going for the INT intead of the incompletion on the pass from Campbell to Moss. The only major complaint I had with Bodden's play was his missed tackle on the 73 yard pass and run from Campbell to Chris Cooley, which allowed an extra 20 yards on the play.

I for one have not missed Ellis Hobbs.

I would rather have Hobbs than Wheatley or Slater. I'd rather have Hobbs as a returner. I do agree I do not miss Hobbs as a starting corner.
Over Slater, perhaps, although Slater makes a ton of ST tackles. I'd take Wheatley's upside that is signed cheap for 2 years after this, though, than Hobbs' impending FA. I REALLY like Maroney as a KR although his style is different than Hobbs'.

I was referring to Hobbs as a starting corner. And while Hobbs is clearly better than Wheatley right now, I'll take Wheatley in the long run over Hobbs.

I do not understand the association of Slater with a defensive back. I repeat, I do not understand the association of Slater with a defensive back.

news flash:

1.He may be injured,but Shawn Springs is a very,very good corner.
If he's healthy,he's the No 1 CB......period.

2.In the past,when they had someone like Ty Law and speed in the secondary,the pats are a THREE CB defense,,,that's right....Three!

In their heyday,they rotated 3 cb's like a wheel......CB blitzing, SS dropping.Free Safety blizting,CB playing safety.It was very,very confusing for a QB,on his pre-snap read.(remember Asante Samuel doing this at least 2 times for an interception return?).......I do.

This secondary defense eas developed by,,,,,,gulp...Eric Mangenious!

Your going to see Springs,Bodden and Wilhite playing CB,at the same time.....with Darius Butler in there,when he gets more experience.

It was not that long ago that Peyton Manning,Kurt Warner and Garrad could not figure out this defense.Warner couldn't do it last year in the snow-ball game vs AZ.

This defense is back.......gonna take a little time.....but,it's back.

I'd add Springs, the man that is being paid $4.55M to play the other corner for us this year.

Id actually add Wilhite aswell, I honestly feel more comfortable with him on an island than I ever did with Hobbs.

I was referring to Hobbs as a starting corner. And while Hobbs is clearly better than Wheatley right now, I'll take Wheatley in the long run over Hobbs.

I do not understand the association of Slater with a defensive back. I repeat, I do not understand the association of Slater with a defensive back.

He's raw,a little skittish...but,he was a safety in college.He's a good tackler and would be the fastest FS in the league(certainly faster than Meriweather.....who I really like).He played some safety in preseason,last year.

Like I said,he's raw,but he CAN play Free Safety.

This is pathetic. Jason Campbell had a decent half in the preseason and people are already saying that Hobbs would still be the #1 on this team? .... I drew the opposite conclusion-- we are running vanilla defenses against an offense that was absolutely determined not to stink it up this time.

Your opposite conclusion is wrong. Have a great day!

Last edited:
Aside from the Washington game, the Pats have held the high powered Eagles starting offense to 6 points, and the entire Bengals team to 7 points. I don't think there's too much to worry about yet.

Personally I would of like to have seen more from defense thus far.

They haven't given away a bunch of points when it counts. They've been good in that department for awhile now. However, this defense is not good at keeping opposing teams from sustaining long drives and that bothers me some. There is nothing dominating about this defense and that is worrisome in a close game.

Hopefully BB hasn't shown his hand and the players on this team are picking up the stunts and blitz packages as well as everything else the coaching staff is trying to teach. The Pass has been dismal and to be honest I'm not sure if thats by design or not. Oh well we'll know more in a few weeks. Just pure speculation at this point.

I agree that the the defense will be solid against the run but they are not pass rushers. The lack of a pass rush exposes our young secondary. Without pressure on the QB from the front 4, BB better come up with some creative blitz packages.

I agree that the the defense will be solid against the run but they are not pass rushers. The lack of a pass rush exposes our young secondary. Without pressure on the QB from the front 4, BB better come up with some creative blitz packages.
Yea this is why Im not sure why everyone is so exited about the 4-3. Even with Burgess our DL isnt a good pass rushing unit. Id rather bring in OLB help like Colvin and use Burgess as an OLB to run a pass rushing 3-4.

Hopefully BB hasn't shown his hand and the players on this team are picking up the stunts and blitz packages as well as everything else the coaching staff is trying to teach. ....

I think this is a myth and is bound to appear again during the regular season. Examples of such hopes we have seen in the past after a mediocre defensive performance: "Pats are saving their playbook for the playoffs", "why bother to reveal when basic D is adequate" etc.

My thoughts: it is just the preseason. These games are more to get the players in synch with each other - exactly whatthe latter part of the quoted post mentioned - and start hitting/getting hit.

I hope the defense can have a dominant pass rush which they desperatly need IMO.

So far this pre season the Pats have one of the best pass rushes and sack figures. What are you guys looking at. It's the DB's that aren't too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back