PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats keep Cassel over Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that everyone should note that Brady didnt have his near perfect season his first year playing. It took him a lot of time to get to the quality of QB that he is now. Cassel's really not doing that bad of a job, do I think you pick him over a healthy Brady, no, but if for some reason Brady didnt come back I think NE has a solid QB in Matt Cassel.

Yes it's very unlikely that it would happen, but is it really that stupid of a question? everyone's getting defensive for no reason, Brady will most likely be fine, but what if he wasn't would you really want to see someone new have to settle into the offense of NE or would you like to see a young kid who's got some growing to and already has a year with the offense under his belt?

I like Cassel, and I hope that upon Brady's return that he sticks around in NE because he's going to be a solid QB, he has a ton of potential.

I would just like to say that Drew Bledsoe was a great QB who did great things in NE, dont talk him down like that.

I would like to say that I agree...but I would also like to say that I dont think he was insulting drew, just that Brady>Bledsoe

Oh, fer gawd's sake, this was not an unreasonable question. Personally, I say Brady is still the man, and I'm not sure that Cassell is not benefitting from the excellent organizational structure that surrounds him in Foxboro, and I'd question whether he would become very mediocre with whomever he plays next year. Nonetheless, anyone here who browbeats the original poster of this thread I feel are being unreasonable, and I would question your over-the-top homerism.

Cassel throws for 400 yards in ONE game and already he is a suitable replacement for the greatest QB in the game today??????? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

Some of you guys are pure idiots sometimes.

Oh, fer gawd's sake, this was not an unreasonable question. ...anyone here who browbeats the original poster of this thread I feel are being unreasonable, and I would question your over-the-top homerism.

Um, excuse me but the question is just plain silly. Imagine you have a Lamborghini but it's going to be in the shop awhile.

112_0701_11z+2007_lamborghini_murcielago_lp640+rear_left_view.jpg

So...

You borrow your Dad's Tercel to use in the meantime.

toyota_tercel_3531043_2.jpg

Now to your surprise, the Tercel is getting you where you need to be, on time, for the most part. Sure it has some knocks and pings now and then, but the radio reception is even better than the Lamborghini's.

I think that while you might be pleased that you had a functional replacement, you aren't going to decide to keep the Tercel over the lambo.

This thread reminds me a lot of politics. The opinion pendulum swings from far left to far right and doesn't land in the right spot (the middle).

Dear Gawd - please stop the maddness.

Sure, Matt Cassel has proven to be decent - a reflection of his talent, the talent around him and 'Scar. I was sitting in the middle of the end zone Thursday nite. 18th row - loved my seat. What a great way to actually see a play forming - to be able to see exactly what Cassel sees. This is what I saw:

Cassel has better legs than Brady will ever have.
Cassel can't make a third read - even when he actually has the time to, he often fails to.
Cassel can't throw left more than five yards. I saw wide open receivers on the left side of the field throughtout the evening's tilt - and nadda, nothing, ziltch. Is McDaniels afraid of a pick here?
Cassel makes the o-line have to work harder. Cassel's release is snail paced compared to Brady's.

BTW - that helmet catch killed me. Still does. What is it about NY team and the killer helmet catches!!!??? Grrrrr................

Oh, fer gawd's sake, .....and I would question your over-the-top homerism.

Yabba-dabba-do. The only thing missing from this thread: a good old dose of Homer/Troll-bating.

Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

release Brady.......

hahaha. That takes me off the hook for any threads I have started. thanks :)

I feel like Bill Buckner after 2004.

release Brady..........stop....my sides....my sides........

Um, excuse me but the question is just plain silly. Imagine you have a Lamborghini but it's going to be in the shop awhile.

So...

Now to your surprise, the Tercel is getting you where you need to be, on time, for the most part. Sure it has some knocks and pings now and then, but the radio reception is even better than the Lamborghini's.

I think that while you might be pleased that you had a functional replacement, you aren't going to decide to keep the Tercel over the lambo.

Best post of the thread thus far.

QBs can play very well into their late 30s, and there is really nothing about Brady's skillset that will deteriorate too extraordinarily with age. If he stays healthy and wants to do it, he'll be a highly effective QB at least until he's 40 (Favre is playing pretty well at 39. The mistakes that he's making, at least, are the same mistakes that he made when he was 30, so it's not an age thing). Arm strength, accuracy, pocket presence, and ability to read coverages don't go away with age. Speed does, but he's already slower than McDaniels, so whatever.

So, in short, I think we need to keep Brady, and I don't even really see a debate about it. Cassel will be a good QB, but there are still way too many unknowns about him right now. Also, one variable that most people seem to be leaving out is O'Connell. To have drafted him in the third round, Belichick/Pioli must have seen something pretty special in him, and probably think that his long-term prospects are at least as good as Cassel's (probably better). Add in that he's even younger than Cassel, and I really doubt that where Brady will be 4-5 years from now will even enter into the Cassel discussion.

What I'm curious to see is what will happen in a few more years, if O'Connell never gets the shot that Cassel did this year. Will some QB-needy team offer up draft picks for him, solely based on the fact that he was drafted and coached up by the same people that were responsible for Brady and Cassel?

Last edited:

So...

Well, I think the comparison is a little far-fetched, like comparing a semi-pro QB vs an NFL QB. Given that Brady will be 32 with POSSIBLY a gimp need I say merits at least a conversation. That all said, I still agree that Brady stays, we just haven't seen Cassell as a starter nearly long enough.

That Tom Brady must have really "SUCKED" all of these years. :rolleyes:

I guess I'll chime in, too:

No.

I'll reserve to assess Cassel's value in the open market after the Dolphins and Steelers games. Meanwhile, everyone else can "crown his ass"!

this would be like saying Steve Bono was better than Joe Montana.

Bono was fine ( the QB, not the singer), but lets wait a while shall we???

This thread is an insult to Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST