PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats keep Cassel over Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The obvious answer here is that we should keep Brady over Cassel - clearly Cassel has MUCH better trade value. We'd be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for Brady. ;)

I knew this thread was coming, it kinda makes me sick to my stomach.

Someone clearly jumped the shark.

Brady is past his prime, Cassel is the future

Brady is past his prime, Cassel is the future

Posts like this make me believe that you really may be Leon Powe. More power in the paint than between the ears. :)

Last edited:
You mean "more" power in the paint than between the ears.

I was just joking anyways.

Let me start by saying until this year I can't remember the last time I missed a Pats' game, but due to unprecedented business travelling, I've missed a bunch.....so I acknowledge at the outset I haven't seen Cassel play nearly as much as I would like.

Having said that, what I saw against the Jets was a confident, energetic, very impressive performance from Cassel. He threw the ball well, led the team, moved extremely well (his scrambling ability is obviously better than Brady's), and overall did an outstanding job. In the few areas he seemed off--eg, the deep ball--I sensed that a little more experience would work to correct that. He's also 26.

Next season Tom Brady will be 32, coming off major knee surgery--surgery that does not appear to be healing as it should. Where he'll be come September, nobody knows.....but let's say for the purposes of this argument his health remains uncertain as next season rolls around.

Don't misunderstand--I don't for a second underestimate Tom Brady. He has clearly been one of the best QBs of all time, and could (should?) have several top-level years ahead of him. I would also suggest that he might be one of the few guys who should be retained simply for the purpose of sustaining the integrity of the franchise--meaning, for pursposes of history, emotion, etc. But I'm not sure that's the way BB will ever do business, with the possible exception of keeping Troy Brown last year, which obviously didn't mean much.

Belichick and the overall organization doesn't go by names, or history, or salary, or sentiment. He and they go by what they see in front of them, and act in whatever way is in the best interests of the team.

So my question to the board is, come next year, is it possible that the Pats would be better off with Matt Cassel than Tom Brady? And if so, what should the Pats do about it?

Aluminum - I am going to cut you some slack because my parents (who both know that I am a huge Pats fan) both asked me if I felt Brady was done. They asked me at different times and neither could understand the exasperated look that I gave them. Upon talking to them, I found out that both of them had read the recent article on the Globe website that was just a re-hash of everything we already knew. I pointed this out to them. Then I pointed out that Reiss had mentioned that Brady was in Foxboro and was working with the training staff.

I also explained to both of them that Peyton Manning had a staph infection from his surgery and it slow him down some, but he was still playing this year.

Unless there is a setback in Brady's rehab between now and the end of February, you can figure that Cassel will be gone and that O'Connell and Gutierrez will be battling it out for the #2 spot.

Let me start by saying until this year I can't remember the last time I missed a Pats' game, but due to unprecedented business travelling, I've missed a bunch.....so I acknowledge at the outset I haven't seen Cassel play nearly as much as I would like.

Having said that, what I saw against the Jets was a confident, energetic, very impressive performance from Cassel. He threw the ball well, led the team, moved extremely well (his scrambling ability is obviously better than Brady's), and overall did an outstanding job. In the few areas he seemed off--eg, the deep ball--I sensed that a little more experience would work to correct that. He's also 26.

Next season Tom Brady will be 32, coming off major knee surgery--surgery that does not appear to be healing as it should. Where he'll be come September, nobody knows.....but let's say for the purposes of this argument his health remains uncertain as next season rolls around.

Don't misunderstand--I don't for a second underestimate Tom Brady. He has clearly been one of the best QBs of all time, and could (should?) have several top-level years ahead of him. I would also suggest that he might be one of the few guys who should be retained simply for the purpose of sustaining the integrity of the franchise--meaning, for pursposes of history, emotion, etc. But I'm not sure that's the way BB will ever do business, with the possible exception of keeping Troy Brown last year, which obviously didn't mean much.

Belichick and the overall organization doesn't go by names, or history, or salary, or sentiment. He and they go by what they see in front of them, and act in whatever way is in the best interests of the team.

So my question to the board is, come next year, is it possible that the Pats would be better off with Matt Cassel than Tom Brady? And if so, what should the Pats do about it?

ROFL.

Just look at the Packers with Brett Favre, and now look at them with Aaron Rodgers.

The Pats would be contending for a Superbowl and oh putting up record numbers with Brady under center.

Cassel is what he is, a young but improving QB. The best case scenario is we recover some decent picks for him.

Brady is still the man though and oh 6-7 years younger than Favre. If you're interested in winning more hardware anytime soon, it's hello again Brady in 2009, goodbye Cassel.

Ask Reiss: King of the Cassel - Boston.com

The NFL Network crew mentioned that Matt Cassel has shown steady improvement (especially his pocket awareness). If he continues to perform well on a consistent basis, do you think Brady becomes expendable like our previous fan-favorite players like Bledsoe and Milloy, especially given the severity of his injury and past history to other players at that position within the NFL (e.g. Carson Palmer)? I don't think this scenario is far-fetched, as much as others may deny it, but I believe Pioli-Belichick would not hesitate to make this "unpopular" decision if it was best for the future of this franchise. Your thoughts?
Jon, Barnstable

A: Jon, I happen to think it is far-fetched. While there are no guarantees with Tom Brady’s recovery, I just don’t see a scenario where the Patriots keep Cassel and get rid of Brady. While Belichick-Pioli have made unpopular decisions in the past, I don’t think this one is under any iota of consideration.

Last edited:
now THIS is a Stoooooopid thread.

I know it probably won't happen, but the Patriots getting rid of Brady would be the one thing that would turn me off from the team, probably for good.

Ask Reiss: King of the Cassel - Boston.com
A: Jon, I happen to think it is far-fetched.

lol.gif

You just know Reiss wanted to really say... "Well... Jon, I happen to think you are BATCHIT F'in CRAZY!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes