PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats keep Cassel over Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its ashame someone cant write a post without getting reamed. Wonder why so many people hate Pats fans. Cant even get along with each other unless we right something everyone wants to hear. Whats the point? Forums are used to share information and talk about the interest. This guy is not a troll, just wants to share his thoughts. Give him a break!

Its ashame someone cant write a post without getting reamed. Wonder why so many people hate Pats fans. Cant even get along with each other unless we right something everyone wants to hear. Whats the point? Forums are used to share information and talk about the interest. This guy is not a troll, just wants to share his thoughts. Give him a break!

"Wonder why so many people hate Pats fans."

Why is that?

Feel free to peruse the boards of other teams. Silly threads are derided elsewhere, too, as they deserve to be.

Last edited:

Best post on this thread. Sniping responders say they are embarassed for the op but their small, angry and childish responses are 1000x more embarassing.

Reality check. Not all thoughts are equal. Some are just butt stupid. :p

Post a really stupid thread idea. Expect a reaming.

I wonder if we'd even be having this conversation if Moss hadn't caught that throw to tie the game last Thursday. Cassel has improved but he's not the god-like, sorry I meant Brady-like quarterback everyone is giving him credit for. He contolled some of the game but over-threw several key attempts earlier in the first half although his second-half play was much better.

Wish these boards existed in 2001 when Brady replaced Bledsoe. Betcha most had NO faith in Brady back then either. :ugh: I was one of them.

wow......I thought this was about football........

look at all the sensitive-types around.........

somebody say something stupid (like the title of this thread), they get whatever they deserve..........

if cassel continues to play they way he is playing, he will be franchised and either moved for picks or kept for one more year, depending on brady's rehab prospects and how the team feels about o'connell..........but will most likely be moved .... there will be lots of interest in him

the pats would have 10M of dead $$ to deal with with brady......

Last edited:
I wonder if we'd even be having this conversation if Moss hadn't caught that throw to tie the game last Thursday. Cassel has improved but he's not the god-like, sorry I meant Brady-like quarterback everyone is giving him credit for. He contolled some of the game but over-threw several key attempts earlier in the first half although his second-half play was much better.

Wish these boards existed in 2001 when Brady replaced Bledsoe. Betcha most had NO faith in Brady back then either. :ugh: I was one of them.

Brady ain't Bledsoe

Brady ain't Bledsoe

Never said so. I asked if Cassel could be another diamond in the rough, just like Brady was. Lets face it, not many fans had faith in him when Bledsoe got hurt.

Early on I was going to respond individually to some of the hysterical posts here, but they became too numerous. Props to those who have actually brought something to the table.

What strikes me here is how much more thought and care have gone into the posts that actually look to react and respond to the premise, as opposed to the shrill whining that fuel 99% of the "this is such a horrible thread, please hold me" posts. Sorry, but even a premise you react to violently is a thousand times more thoughtful and nuanced than the dozens of dreary one-liners that have littered this thread. Many of those who have put some care into their responses still, naturally, come to the same conclusion—never going to, or should, happen in a million years. Which is, by the way, essentially the same conclusion I would arrive at.

What’s frightening on this board is that there is such a large pack of meatheads who can’t differentiate between a bomb-throwing thread and one that—again, if it’s read—clearly is theorizing about a situation next year that, while highly unlikely, is certainly not beyond the pale to discuss. A top-line organization such as the Patriots is always thinking and planning ahead for any contingency, well in advance of if and when it might be necessary to act. But that sort of thought and discussion is apparently beyond many on this board, who react to a premise they don’t like as if someone’s hidden their medication.

The problem is that we are not talking about Brady Quinn replacing Derrick Anderson. You are talking about possibly the best Qb of all time in the PRIME of his career, coming off a record setting year. What part of that do you not understand? There is NO way Brady is not here next year. What has Cassel done to even justify opening that discussion? A couple decent games, while leading a team with incredible Offensive talent (which has not been completely exploited with Cassel at the helm - Hello Moss)?

people criticize Pats fans for being bandwagoners. If you start a thread suggesting that the Pats should possibly get rid of one of the best QBs of all time in favor of Matt Cassel, you are exactly that.

The problem is that we are not talking about Brady Quinn replacing Derrick Anderson. You are talking about possibly the best Qb of all time in the PRIME of his career, coming off a record setting year. What part of that do you not understand? There is NO way Brady is not here next year. What has Cassel done to even justify opening that discussion? A couple decent games, while leading a team with incredible Offensive talent (which has not been completely exploited with Cassel at the helm - Hello Moss)?

Very well said!

Don't speak too soon.

If Cassel just gets 40 more touchdown passes over the next 6 games he'll join Brady atop the TD record books.

Just 7 TDs per game and he has the record all to himself.

THEN all of you so called fans chiding the OP will have to EAT your words as Belichick seriously considers keeping Cassel and trading Brady away!

It's way too early, but this is eerily similar to Young-Montana

close this thread

Jesus people--are you overreacting enough? I thought it was a thoughtfully written post, even if the answer, on the surface, seems obvious.

Yet, he does have a point. Brady is 32, which isn't old for a quarterback, but at some point we're going to have to address the position. Perhaps that's what O'Connell's for. Cassel is playing well enough that if Brady weren't a hall of famer, this wouldn't be such a "stupid" topic. He's a young quarterback with a bright future and tons of upside.

I think it's a legitimate question to ask if we should keep Cassel and release Brady--but only if there's some indication next year that Brady hasn't recovered from his knee surgery and isn't going to be the same player. Somehow, I doubt that will happen. It's Tom Brady. But if it does--and the coaching staff sees that Brady can't play at the level he used to--then what do you do? Do you keep the older, but injured, QB for a moderate short term gain, or do you develop the young one? It's a good question.

I like how people think that a knee injury that has about a year to heal, with the best docs and trainers ever working him, is going to effect the play of a qb that doesnt move at all. Does the injury to his knee suddenly make him forget how to play?

6 wins and one 400 yard game do not make Cassel a good QB. Yes, so far he "looks" pretty good...even impressive. But no one is ready to declare he a legitimate top NFL QB or even a middle of the road QB. That would take at least 2 years for him to prove.

Meanwhile, we have a guy who has proven he's not only a top NFL QB, he is one of the top of ALL TIME.

Let the discussion resume...:rolleyes:

I thought this was a joke thread by the title, I guess not....wow!
No, it wasn't intended to be a joke, just a stir-the-pot-so-the-OP-can-smell-the-poop post. It's one of those trolling posts where some 14-year old makes stuff up (Brady's knee isn't healing right), distorts a few facts, then asks a moronic question. Then when he sees that people have answered, he runs into the bathroom to make one-handed whoopee.

To each his own.

WEEI wrong again.

How can you be a Patsfan member and not read Miguel?

I do read him, but usually in the offseason during the draft, FA, ect... not during the year. My time is limited, so I spend it in the main forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back