PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Belichick Retain Personnel Duties?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should Belichick Retain Personnel Duties?

• Total voters
I know. And my point is that it's a misleading stat because you have to then ignore how much higher the rate of 1st round QB's are at winning and appearing in a Super Bowl than QB's drafted in any other round in the draft. No matter how you do the math, the first round is still far and away the best round to draft a QB
I agree with that, some teams get lucky in the later rounds, but odds are you'll get a good at the top of the first.

I agree with that, some teams get lucky in the later rounds, but odds are you'll get a good at the top of the first.
I did the math once, as soon as you get out of the top 15 picks, your odds of picking a QB who becomes a capable franchise guy dramatically plummets. Then goes down much further once you get into the second round. Then the third and 4th round become a once or twice a decade thing and everything after is like lighnting striking

I know. And my point is that it's a misleading stat because you have to then ignore how much higher the rate of 1st round QB's are at winning and appearing in a Super Bowl than QB's drafted in any other round in the draft. No matter how you do the math, the first round is still far and away the best round to draft a QB

Brady’s success and Jones’s failure has a number of Patriot fans thinking you can get a QB anywhere in the draft. And while that is possible, the likelihood of success is much higher in the first round than anywhere else. But what’s left out of that equation is what you surround them with. The emergence of Josh Allen, Joe Burrows, and Tua as playoff QB’s all coincided with giving them All Pro caliber targets to throw to, and even though Mahomes has shown he can get it done even after losing a great WR, he was clearly more dangerous with him. In todays NFL you need to be able to put up a lot of points, and do it quickly when needed, so getting a top QB early in this draft will really help, but they will need to surround them with some explosive weapons if they want them to really succeed.

I did the math once, as soon as you get out of the top 15 picks, your odds of picking a QB who becomes a capable franchise guy dramatically plummets. Then goes down much further once you get into the second round. Then the third and 4th round become a once or twice a decade thing and everything after is like lighnting striking

And you have posted some compelling arguments from that research. Nicely done.

Brady’s success and Jones’s failure has a number of Patriot fans thinking you can get a QB anywhere in the draft. And while that is possible, the likelihood of success is much higher in the first round than anywhere else. But what’s left out of that equation is what you surround them with. The emergence of Josh Allen, Joe Burrows, and Tua as playoff QB’s all coincided with giving them All Pro caliber targets to throw to, and even though Mahomes has shown he can get it done even after losing a great WR, he was clearly more dangerous with him. In todays NFL you need to be able to put up a lot of points, and do it quickly when needed, so getting a top QB early in this draft will really help, but they will need to surround them with some explosive weapons if they want them to really succeed.
People need to realize that Tom Brady is a unicorn.

In NFL history, Mark Rypien, Marc Bulger, Tyrod Taylor and Matt Hasselback are the next best careers for a 6th round QB. None are even remotely close to HOF level or even truly elite. You quickly get into borderline journeyman there. And even if there was another HOF in there, we are talking decades of NFL history to find another.

Also not only was Mahomes far better with Hill, he still was left with the only TE who is comprable to Gronk in the NFL today.

I think they need to give Groh and Wolf, or one of them a chance to run the team to find out if they are right for the job. Unless you have someone specific, that’s actually available, to completely recreate football operations in a new model cleaning out everyone could ultimately end being a worse situation. And as good as their defense is making Mayo the head coach, but bringing in a young creative mind to run the offense ,to go with a high 1st round QB, could get them back into contention sooner than later.
What needs to happen before signing any outside FA's is taking care of our guys. The organization has to identify a core group of guys especially on defense and try to extend them. A organization needs pillars, core players to help along rookies and young players to adapt to the program. At the top of My list is peppers. Bills likely going to be here so he has a chance to right his wrong like he did with Myers.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back