PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Belichick Retain Personnel Duties?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should Belichick Retain Personnel Duties?

• Total voters

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Should Belichick have to give up control over the Draft, Free Agency, and Personnel Decisions? Should he still be kept as HC? Or should he be fired entirely?

He needs to be fired or be allowed to retire based on his performance the last 4 seasons. Bill shouldn't be treated any different than other members of the Patriots when it comes to job performance. He's personally been responsible for driving the team into a ditch by his decisions, both on and off the field.

If we're going to have an objective discussion about the future of the team, this is the #1 decision that needs to be addressed. Who to draft in the top 3 is secondary to who will lead it into the future. It's like saying let's get a set of new tires on a car that has a seized up engine.

Definitely should not have personnell duties. The defense is playing well. He picked this terrible shiznit show. I do t know if he should remain coach

He needs to be fired or be allowed to retire based on his performance the last 4 seasons. Bill shouldn't be treated any different than other members of the Patriots when it comes to job performance. He's personally been responsible for driving the team into a ditch by his decisions, both on and off the field.

If we're going to have an objective discussion about the future of the team, this is the #1 decision that needs to be addressed. Who to draft in the top 3 is secondary to who will lead it into the future. It's like saying let's get a set of new tires on a car that has a seized up engine.
Bill alway says his players should be treated equally and assessed solely on their performance. Same should apply to Bill.

There's a good argument to be made that if he goes back to being a DC he would be the best in the league right now even at age 71. Much lighter workload than what he's got now. But he won't agree to a career move like that.

He should be fired TODAY and somehow people are still debating on how to rearrange the deckchairs as the ship is going down.

I think in a perfect world, someone else would take over personnel duties and BB could stay as HC. It hasn't been his best year in that regard either, but I think people are underestimating how crappy the majority of NFL head coaches are nowadays. Willingly entering that carousel again is a major gamble.

HOWEVER, we don't live in a perfect world. Even if BB agreed to give up personnel control (which I doubt he would), what happens the first time he gets a player who he wouldn't have picked, and that player gets off to a slow start? As much as one would hope he'd stick it out and give the kid a chance, more than likely that kid is getting buried. It's really hard to suppress those biases when you've had final say for so long, and that's not just Belichick, that's every human being.

It's time for a fresh start. Definitely for the Patriots, and if BB wants to keep coaching he'd probably benefit from a change of scenery himself.

There's a good argument to be made that if he goes back to being a DC he would be the best in the league right now even at age 71. Much lighter workload than what he's got now. But he won't agree to a career move like that.
I agree with this. He's still a good DC, no different than Josh being a good OC, but as HC, he's now a failure.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
People act like he was the only guy who knows something about football that the rest of the league doesn't.
Isn't that clearly untrue. He was the guy that lucked into the greatest QB of all time, AND collected the type of character guys that could build a dynasty, AND he was the best X's & O's coach of his generation. But, when that genealogy of players dies out, so does the system. It's always a roll of the dice, and the luck ran out. It doesn't mean he's not the GOAT.
But it IS time to turn the page.

I agree with this. He's still a good DC, no different than Josh being a good OC, but as HC, he's now a failure.
BB is doing too much now. He's an HC AND a GM AND I'm sure he's also helping out Steve when he can. Without Brady as his offensive savant he's taken on work on that side too. Nobody can do all that and be good at it. And he's 71. Even John Madden said players eventually stop listening to the same voice after so many years.

Yeah Josh was never NFL HC material. I don't see him getting a 3rd shot at a job.

Last edited:
Should Belichick have to give up control over the Draft, Free Agency, and Personnel Decisions? Should he still be kept as HC? Or should he be fired entirely?
Well of course that decision is up to RK. Bill would have to either agree or part ways. He'd have to leave all together rather than just coaching and not having final say on the roster. I can't see him staying here having to answer to someone other than the krafts.

I think in a perfect world, someone else would take over personnel duties and BB could stay as HC. It hasn't been his best year in that regard either, but I think people are underestimating how crappy the majority of NFL head coaches are nowadays. Willingly entering that carousel again is a major gamble.

HOWEVER, we don't live in a perfect world. Even if BB agreed to give up personnel control (which I doubt he would), what happens the first time he gets a player who he wouldn't have picked, and that player gets off to a slow start? As much as one would hope he'd stick it out and give the kid a chance, more than likely that kid is getting buried. It's really hard to suppress those biases when you've had final say for so long, and that's not just Belichick, that's every human being.

It's time for a fresh start. Definitely for the Patriots, and if BB wants to keep coaching he'd probably benefit from a change of scenery himself.

As I have said in other posts Kraft can easily justify giving all personnel decisions to Groh and Wolf simply by telling Belichick that it’s in the best interests of the franchise to find out starting now if they are the people to entrust the future of the team with, or whether he needs to clean house completely and create an entirely new football operations structure. If Belichick says that’s not the deal Kraft can tell him he can resign if he wants to, but that any team looking to hire him before his contract expires will have to pay a 1st for his rights. If they don’t want pay that they can wait until his deal expires.

I agree. But with Bill being etched In NFL history. I Don't believe he will leave to be in a coordinator position. The guys had so much say, autonomy, final say on all roster decisions over time. If he leaves I can see him in a front office role or another HC job somewhere.

Well of course that decision is up to RK. Bill would have to either agree or part ways. He'd have to leave all together rather than just coaching and not having final say on the roster. I can't see him staying here having to answer to someone other than the krafts.

That’s always been my belief as well, but he’s still under contract, so Kraft can tell any franchise that wants him that it will take a 1st for his rights. But they can wait until it expires if they want to take the chance they would still get him.

That’s always been my belief as well, but he’s still under contract, so Kraft can tell any franchise that wants him that it will take a 1st for his rights. But they can wait until it expires if they want to take the chance they would still get him.
That's true. I believe an owner like tepper would accept that. However as someone mentioned I'm sure there is already something agreed upon between Bill and RK. They have had lasting success together. I think they just mutually agree to part ways. Mayo feels like he's the next coach in waiting.

That's true. I believe an owner like tepper would accept that. However as someone mentioned I'm sure there is already something agreed upon between Bill and RK. They have had lasting success together. I think they just mutually agree to part ways. Mayo feels like he's the next coach in waiting.

Unfortunately Tepper can’t make that deal, he traded their 1st to Chicago in the deal to get Bryce Young. And I would only take their 33rd pick if no one else offered a 1st for Belichick, or if Belichick refused to go to the team’s offering their 1st. Ultimately he makes that call.

Unfortunately Tepper can’t make that deal, he traded their 1st to Chicago in the deal to get Bryce Young. And I would only take their 33rd pick if no one else offered a 1st for Belichick, or if Belichick refused to go to the team’s offering their 1st. Ultimately he makes that call.
Yes, I was just using him as an example of an able and willing owner. The more I think about it. Bills HC time is ending like it started. His record his first season in NE started off loosing even into 2001 before the MO lewis hit! Just feels so familiar that it's ending how it started. I think Josh Harris is another owner who's be willing to wheel n deal with us as well.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back