PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour - Injury Prone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I know how much Big Sey means to our defense - believe me, I do.

And I know I took a thrashing for questioning this same issue last season.

And I know I recanted.

And I really want to love Seymour and believe he's all about team.

But, here we are again with Seymour.

Injured again.

I have to wonder if he's just a little soft or maybe a LOT self-centered.

NFL players play injured. That's a fact if life!

A little boo-boo on your elbow should not translate into missed games!

Or maybe he feels it is his right to take 3-4-5 games off per year.

I don't know.

Like I say, I want to be a big-time Seymour backer because I know how awesomely talented he is, but sometimes he just does not seem to, as they say, "get it".

Wilfork & Warren play all the same reps Seymour plays, and yet never seem to come up injured.

Seymour - at LEAST once a year, he misses games.

Thank God for Jarvis Green!

Plus, to make matters worse, Big Sey shows up on NEST standing in front of his locker wearing a GAHD-DAMM Yankee cap!

I swear, between the soft constitution and the friggin' NY cap, he's just TRYING to antagonize me!

LOL!

ADPF

Last edited:
This, to me, sounds like an ignorant judgment of a player with no facts. Have you seen the injury? Do you know it's minor? None of us have seen the replay. Seymour described it as gruesome and that he dodged a bullet. I think using the word 'booboo' to describe something you haven't seen and then going further to attack the character, effort, and toughness of one of the team captains of the Patriots based also on that injury that you haven't seen is pretty irresponsible.

Brownfan80 said:
This, to me, sounds like an ignorant judgment of a player with no facts. Have you seen the injury? Do you know it's minor? None of us have seen the replay. Seymour described it as gruesome and that he dodged a bullet. I think using the word 'booboo' to describe something you haven't seen and then going further to attack the character, effort, and toughness of one of the team captains of the Patriots based also on that injury that you haven't seen is pretty irresponsible.

No, I haven't done any in depth analysis on THIS particular injury.

I am more saying it just seems like every year with Richard, it's something, and it makes me question his toughness or willingness to play through pain.

Plus, the Yankee cap!

ADPF

Last edited:
Okay, I did find this, from this morning's Herald:

“As I went back and looked at the game, I definitely feel blessed and fortunate,” Seymour said. “It could have been worse than it was. I couldn’t even watch it on film. It was pretty gruesome. I feel blessed enough to come out of that situation and take it for what it is right now and continue to get better.”

Seymour had been tripped on the play and had his left arm planted toward the line of scrimmage when Harrison hit him flush on the elbow, viciously hyperextending it.

HE HYPERXETNDED HIS ELBOW AND HE MIGHT MISS A GAME?!?!?!?!?

I hyperextended my elbow reaching for the remote for my TV last night and I'm at work today!

LOL!

(And I'm not wearing a GAHD-DAMM Yankee cap, either!)

ADPF

Last edited:
Armen Da Pats Fan said:
No, I haven't done any in depth analysis on THIS particular injury.

I am more saying it just seems like every year with Richard, it's something, and it makes me question his toughness or willingness to play through pain.

Plus, the Yankee cap!

ADPF

Players can play hurt. They can't play injured. From what I've seen Seymour has always injured ligaments or tendons. Those injuries are ones that, if played with, are easy to re-injure and cause further damage.

Players don't play with strained MCLs like he's suffered with the past few years.

I'm sure that with this elbow problem that if Sey is cleared to play, he'll play. If he's too INJURED to play, he won't play. If he's just hurt and the docs feel there's no risk for further injury we'll see him out there.

His elbow got bent in the wrong direction. Give the guy a break. Give the guy some credit.

Brownfan80 said:
Players can play hurt. They can't play injured. From what I've seen Seymour has always injured ligaments or tendons. Those injuries are ones that, if played with, are easy to re-injure and cause further damage.

Players don't play with strained MCLs like he's suffered with the past few years.

I'm sure that with this elbow problem that if Sey is cleared to play, he'll play. If he's too INJURED to play, he won't play. If he's just hurt and the docs feel there's no risk for further injury we'll see him out there.

His elbow got bent in the wrong direction. Give the guy a break. Give the guy some credit.

Dude, I SO want to be a big fan of his.

I just can't get over the fact that he is hurt so often.

Is this the third year in a row?

I put my chips on a gamer like Ty Warren. He's out there every Sunday - bumps, bruises and all...

And he doesn't parade around town in a Yankee cap!

Even Brady, an acknowledged San Fran Giants fan, knows enough to wear a SAWX cap!

ADPF

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Okay, I did find this, from this morning's Globe:

“As I went back and looked at the game, I definitely feel blessed and fortunate,†Seymour said. “It could have been worse than it was. I couldn’t even watch it on film. It was pretty gruesome. I feel blessed enough to come out of that situation and take it for what it is right now and continue to get better.â€

Seymour had been tripped on the play and had his left arm planted toward the line of scrimmage when Harrison hit him flush on the elbow, viciously hyperextending it.

HE HYPERXETNDED HIS ELBOW AND HE MIGHT MISS A GAME?!?!?!?!?

I hyperextended my elbow reaching for the remote for my TV last night and I'm at work today!

LOL!

(And I'm not wearing a GAHD-DAMM Yankee cap, either!)

ADPF

I believe, based on your responses that:

A) you're judging him more on his Yankee cap than anything he's done in a Patriots Jersey.

B) you've never had an injury playing team sports.

If you have had an injury playing team sports, then I don't see how you can mock a hyperextension. Particularly one categorized as vicious.

And until you actually see the replay, you're still going solely off of someone else's opinion to form your own.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:

I put my chips on a gamer like Ty Warren. He's out there every Sunday - bumps, bruises and all...

Even Brady, an acknowledged San Fran Giants fan, knows enough to wear a SAWX cap!

ADPF

I agree with you and I also have noticed that Seymour tends to be injured often but let's not judge him until he misses a game, for all we know he could be playing this week and this have played and started every game this year.

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:

A) you're judging him more on his Yankee cap than anything he's done in a Patriots Jersey.

B) you've never had an injury playing team sports.

If you have had an injury playing team sports, then I don't see how you can mock a hyperextension. Particularly one categorized as vicious.

And until you actually see the replay, you're still going solely off of someone else's opinion to form your own.

Actually, I have the game TiVO'd, so as a due dilligence, I AM going to go home tonight and watch this "gruesome hyerpextension" on film.

And, I do play tournament level softball, which is really no big deal and NOTHING like the NFL, obviously, but my teammates & I have played in tourneys with all kinds of injuries.

In '03, I played with a strained quad in a championship and drove in 3 runs, including what was the eventual game-winner.

And we don't get paid!

And I didn't wear a Yankee cap!

ADPF

Brownfan80 said:

I gotta admit - when I saw him lounging around in his Yankee cap while his teammates were preparing for gameday, I got a little pissed!

Armen Da Pats Fan said:

ADPF

He's not HURT often. He's injured. Bumps and bruises are not the same as ligament or tendon strains. Further injury can and will result from playing with those types of injures.

A hyperextension is another injury that involves tendons or ligaments.

Info on elbow hyperextensions:

Hyperextension of the elbow is the result of an acute injury. The mechanism is usually that of falling on an outstretched arm or hand, forcing the elbow into an overextended state. Pain is felt not only on the inside of the elbow from the stretch of the biceps, but also in the back as a result of “jamming†the bones against one another.
An elbow hyperextension injury occurs when the elbow is bent back the wrong way. This type of injury will occur more frequently in contact sports such as Rugby Football or certain martial arts e.g. JuJitsu. The elbow pain is caused when the elbow is forced to bend the wrong way or hyperextend causing damage to the ligaments and structures of the elbow.
Loads applied to the forearm result in hyperextension of the elbow. The pathomechanics of hyperextension trauma with load applied to the distal radius and ulna were studied in 10 macroscopically normal cadaver elbow joint specimens to reveal patterns of injury with radial traction (n = 5) compared to ulnar traction (n = 5). The mean age of the donors was 60.8 years (range 33-74). Kinematic testing was performed in an experimental 3D-kinematic loading apparatus. The extension range of motion increased by 20.9 degrees +/- 2.9 degrees after joint loading. Hyperextension loads induced joint laxity during flexion of less than 60 degrees. In both groups, the changes were significant in joint flexion during forced valgus and external rotation, but were not significant in flexion during forced varus and internal rotation. In both groups, the same four lesions were produced: 1) Anterior capsule rupture, 2) L-formed rupture of the origin of the pronator muscle with elongation of the anterior bundle of the medial collateral ligament, 3) partial rupture of the lateral collateral ligament and 4) small cartilage damage to the posterior or anteromedial edge of the ulna. In conclusion, hyperextension trauma to the elbow joint induced through the distal ulna or the distal radius produced the same pattern of injury as reported in hyperextension of the elbow with traction to the forearm when free rotation of the radius relative to the ulna was allowed.

So once again, you can see that a hyperextension is not a minor injury if it is a severe case. It sounds like Seymour's was ("Gruesome" "Vicious"). So again, this is not a case of if he's 'tough enough to play through pain' it's a case of if he's cleared to play. If the doctors think he's at risk to further injure himself, he sits. It's as simple as that.

DL use their arms on every play of the game. Do you really think it's smart for Seymour to play if his range of motion is decreased by 60 percent?

I have the game saved on TiVo.

The replay shows rather clearly what happened. Although the actual contact of a body moving through the air coming in contact with RS elbow cannot be seen - it is obvious that the point of contact forced the elbow to try to bend in a direction elbows were not meant or able to go.

Get down on all fours with your arms extended for support (Now Aguagay boy is getting excited) - then imagine 220 pounds crashing inward right on your outstretched elbow. Get the picture? RS is lucky it didn't snap and if it had it would be a season ender for sure.

Injury prone, I don't think so - a little bad luck, no doubt - but - he does come back and play following each injury.

fgssand said:
I have the game saved on TiVo.

The replay shows rather clearly what happened. Although the actual contact of a body moving through the air coming in contact with RS elbow cannot be seen - it is obvious that the point of contact forced the elbow to try to bend in a direction elbows were not meant or able to go.

Get down on all fours with your arms extended for support (Now Aguagay boy is getting excited) - then imagine 220 pounds crashing inward right on your outstretched elbow. Get the picture? RS is lucky it didn't snap and if it had it would be a season ender for sure.

Injury prone, I don't think so - a little bad luck, no doubt - but - he does come back and play following each injury.

Any way you can screen cap the injury for those of us that didn't see it live and don't have tape?

Thanks for the recap of how it happened.

Rodney hits like a ton of bricks. I imagine that having a ton of bricks slam into your prone elbow probably feels like hell on wheels.

Last edited:
fgssand said:

Now THAT'S an interesting way to put it...

BTW, who's Aguagay? And can I get his number?

LOL!

ADPF

Man, when you use those medical explanations, it does make it sound pretty bad!

Then again, when my doctor said I had a "contusion or possible hematoma of a subcutaneous, intramuscular or periosteal nature", I thought I was friggin' cashing chips, but I just had a bruise!

(Doctors - you gotta love 'em - they have to keep coming up with ways to justify their outlandish fees and salaries! LOL!)

So, okay, I'm backing off (for now) about Seymour's injury-prone tendencies...(again)...but I suspect this issue will lodge in my football cranny again!

But I am still pissed about that Yankee cap!

And I ain't backing off that!

ADPF

Brownfan80 said:
Any way you can screen cap the injury for those of us that didn't see it live and don't have tape?

Thanks for the recap of how it happened.

Rodney hits like a ton of bricks. I imagine that having a ton of bricks slam into your prone elbow probably feels like hell on wheels.

I wish I could - it's all I can do to figure out my TiVo and Comcast remotes.......technologically challenged here in a digital world.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Now THAT'S an interesting way to put it...

BTW, who's Aguagay? And can I get his number?

LOL!

ADPF

He is a young 18 year old college student from Fla (huge Doophin fan) that made a Bread Of Life bet with me and reneged (Isent my money in and he did nt send his- yet I won the bet), so now I rag on him at will.

Seymour gets double teamed, which is going to lead to more injuries. Think about it, if you have two guys hitting you, you have a much harder time defending yourself from injury, than when just one guy is trying to block you, you know where he is and how to defeat him. However, if you have two 300+ lbs guys trying to push you one in two different directions, you are much more likely to get injured. Imagine you are enguaging one guy with your hands, while the other one is chop blocking you. If Warren got double teamed every game, he too would have more injuries.

Seymour is not injury prone, he is just a great player that has to endure double teams.

Okay, so he's not hurt, he's "injured". Is it safe to say then that Seymour is in fact injury prone? I like the guy, he's one of my favorites but that's exactly what I'm calling him. It seems the past few years it's always something. Chad Pennington gets injured like this on fluke things and everyone calls him injury prone including myself so I think it's fair to say Seymour is in fact injury prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News