PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Senator Comcast is on now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sen Comcast is on now

Because of Specter's comments, I almost feel bad for Matt Walsh because I believe this is what he wanted to avoid. Walsh is now caught between a rock and a hard place thanks to Specter's comments. Specter just about obliterated Walsh's indemnity agreement by saying that Walsh described a way for the tapes to be used during a game and the signals sent over to Charlie Weis. This was something that was denied yesterday by Walsh in his talk with Goodell.

So, either Specter lied or Walsh lied. And if Walsh lied, he'll be seeing the inside of a jail cell soon because of Grand Theft since he'll no longer have the protection from being arrested. If Specter lied, then his credibility is gone and hopefully there will be repercussions costing him his place in the Senate.

"If" a congressional investigation happens, they can't force any further penalties...or ANYTHING for that matter. So why would they even bother?

Exactly. No actual federal laws were broken here. To have a Congressional hearing would just be a waste of time and money.

Re: Specter wants Mitchell-like investigation

Isn't this the same guy who a month or two ago authored a report to the Senate Judiciary Committee that he felt that an investigation of whether the CIA improperly used torture techniques wasn't warranted.

It is disgusting that he is more concerned about an independent investigation of whether the Pats cheated than if the US Government violated the Geneva Convention.

This is the guy who stated that "they owe the public a lot more candor and a lot more credibility". In light of all the evidence which has come out after the JFK assassination, don't you think this senator owes the public a lot more creditability in regards to one of the most flagrant cover-ups in American history. One' a freakin' game the other is our democracy.
Sorry to get political, but it is what it is.

This will TRULY test our media's bias. "If" they do NOT investigate Specter, then we know the media has an agenda. There is not other possibility.

If they do not publicize his relationship with Comcast & the confilicts of interest with Specter, our media has lost all it's value as an American institution.

Could someone please post a list of possible outcomes from a congressional investigation and how that could negatively affect the Patriots?

Also, can an investigation ocurr that would NOT look into taping signals as a league-wide issue?

someone...anyone?

The Mitchell report did not investigate all teams equally. It basically got ahold of a couple of clubhouse guys with the Mets and Yankees and found out everyone connected to those select people. It did not look for similar people in other clubhouses on other teams doing the same thing.

They found a couple of cooperative snitches or people they had over a barrel and milked all the information there.

In this case a similar investigation could just focus on willing snitches from the Patriots and not be the broad and fair investigation that many of you seem to be imagining.

Did anyone read the Mitchell report? It was a joke in itself. Most of it was a scrapbook of press clippings. I remeber thinking "All that time and money for this?"

Seeing how he is already quoting ESPN I can't see how this would amount to anything but more of the same.

I saw this in Reiss blog just now and found it mystifying...

Specter said he was also troubled by the fact that Walsh told him that Dan Goldberg, whom Walsh identified as a Patriots attorney, was present at his NFL interview and allowed to ask questions. Specter, a former Philadelphia district attorney, said such a practice "strains credulity."

Now, I'm a very smart guy, but I did a double take when I read the part in bold. Credulity means : A disposition to believe too readily. Having a disposition to believe too readily is something that Specter has shown us he doesn't have to begin with. And Goodell hasn't shown credulity either.

From what I can decipher, straining credulity is a GOOD thing, isn't it? Or am I missing something? Or did Specter misspeak and mean to said CREDIBILITY?

Now, I'm a very smart guy, but I did a double take when I read the part in bold. Credulity means : A disposition to believe too readily. Having a disposition to believe too readily is something that Specter has shown us he doesn't have to begin with. And Goodell hasn't shown credulity either.

From what I can decipher, straining credulity is a GOOD thing, isn't it? Or am I missing something? Or did Specter misspeak and mean to said CREDIBILITY?
You're correct - but even if he meant CREDIBILITY, it makes total sense for attorneys from both sides to be there. It was strain credibility if the Patriots weren't allowed to have representation there.

Specter apparently never attended a deposition....

I feel compelled to give you a big;

"SHMESSY WAS RIGHT!"

Nice call. Sad, but still good intuition on your part.

Thank you. I had an inkling that Spector would go for it.

Sit back and enjoy the next few days. Good times.

I want it to happen too, but for different reasons.

Don't keep getting fooled by the man playing 3-Card Monty.

The battle is NOT between the different franchises within the corporation called the National Football League. Only the peasant fans think that's the ballgame here.

The REAL battle is between the corporations Comcast and NFL.

The more Spector drools over this, the more will be brought to light about Comcast.

Ya think so???

I will repot this here...

Monday, March 03, 2008

Edge of Sports calls PA's Senator Specter domain = Comcast's

Posted by Mark Rauterkus at 3:33 PM

Edge of Sports: "The story begins with the righteous anger of the cancer-surviving, 78-year-old Senator from Pennsylvania, Arlen Specter. He has presented himself to the sports world as the populist of pigskin, pushing back against the big, bad NFL in what has become known as SpyGate.
Love this line: Yet, a closer look at Specter's incentives reveals what some say is a most unpleasant stench.

"the Senator from the great state of Comcast." Is this fair?

Comcast is the No. 2 source of campaign funds for the Senator. Comcast execs and employees have given a reported $153,600 in contributions, going back to 1989. The No. 1 contributor since '89 is Blank Rome LLC, a lobbying firm that has dumped $358,483 into Specter's coffers. A chief client of Blank Rome is .... wait for it .... Comcast.

http://rauterkus.blogspot.com/2008/03/edge-of-sports-calls-pas-senator.html

Exactly. No actual federal laws were broken here. To have a Congressional hearing would just be a waste of time and money.
If I'm not mistaken, the anti-trust laws allow the NFL to negotiate a single contract (with FOX, or CBS for example) and prevent a team like the Dallas Cowboys from negotiating their own contract. This allows for revenue sharing which leads to the salary cap and keeps the game more interesting with its parity. The caveat is that for games to be broadcast live the outcome may not be pre-determined like wrestling. Congress would need to do more than show the Patriots had an advantage; they would need to show that games were rigged.

let Spector take a picture with that trophy his beloved Eagles lost to us and send him on his way.......

Specter, based on an interview with Walsh and other research, also asserted that although Walsh did not tape opposition practices between 2003 and 2005 -- a gap much remarked upon in the sports media -- other Patriots' personnel did tape such sessions during those years.

Doesn't this accusation warrant a suit be brought on this old fool?

If I'm not mistaken, the anti-trust laws allow the NFL to negotiate a single contract (with FOX, or CBS for example) and prevent a team like the Dallas Cowboys from negotiating their own contract. This allows for revenue sharing which leads to the salary cap and keeps the game more interesting with its parity. The caveat is that for games to be broadcast live the outcome may not be pre-determined like wrestling. Congress would need to do more than show the Patriots had an advantage; they would need to show that games were rigged.

I didn't know that part. Interesting. So that would mean a small market team would be on the losing end if the NFL somehow loses it's anti-trust exemption right?

I didn't know that part. Interesting. So that would mean a small market team would be on the losing end if the NFL somehow loses it's anti-trust exemption right?

It would be like baseball.....Rich teams can make as many mistakes as they want and pay good money to fix it and keep fielding talent. Poor teams have to do everything perfect for years just to get a chance to compete.

PS just look at the devil rays as compared to the sox or yankees. It took the devil rays years to field even a competitive team and who thinks they even have a ligitimate shot at anything even in 1st place

Last edited:

It would be like baseball.....Rich teams can make as many mistakes as they want and pay good money to fix it and keep fielding talent. Poor teams have to do everything perfect for years just to get a chance to compete.

Alright. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Specter, based on an interview with Walsh and other research, also asserted that although Walsh did not tape opposition practices between 2003 and 2005 -- a gap much remarked upon in the sports media -- other Patriots' personnel did tape such sessions during those years.

Doesn't this accusation warrant a suit be brought on this old fool?

Sorry, they admitted to taping GAMES during that time. Not practices. I guess this is another of Specter's lies.

Last edited:

Actually, its fact. And its stuff the Pats admitted to and have been penalized for. Why do you think that this part warrants a suit to be brought against him?

They admitted taping opponent practices? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick