PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Senator Comcast is on now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sen Comcast is on now

Yeah, this is EXACTLY what we admitted to. If this is damaging to anyone, it's the Bucs, who apparently were dumb enough not to change their signals.

Yeah but the inclusion of players involvement makes it a little worse no? And what about the notion that Walsh was told to keep it secret? I don't think warrants additional penalties. I just think if true that it makes Bill's explanation look bad.

I got to the Mark Schlereth quote and realized what a waste of time it is.

Yeah but the inclusion of players involvement makes it a little worse no? And what about the notion that Walsh was told to keep it secret? I don't think warrants additional penalties. I just think if true that it makes Bill's explanation look bad.

Why? What part of it does it make look bad? Why did you think players wouldn't be included? They're the ones on the field.

Why? What part of it does it make look bad? Why did you think players wouldn't be included? They're the ones on the field.

I dunno I was hoping that the knowledge of the taping was limited to coaches. Most current & former players have come out & said they knew nothing about it.

Potentially damaging:

Any ideas who this former offensive player could be & why Walsh wasn't forced to reveal their identity?

http://www.patriots.com/schedule/index.cfm?ac=schedule&season=2000

We didn't play Tampa Bay on September 11th. We played them the week before, and lost to them as we had in the pre season. In fact the only teams we could have taped that season, we lost to if we played them again. Great frickin' system, although given Matt's taping skills is it any wonder it didn't work...

This sounds like Matt being Matt for the senile senator's benefit. He was a real significant cog in the wheel...:rolleyes:

I dunno I was hoping that the knowledge of the taping was limited to coaches. Most current & former players have come out & said they knew nothing about it.

Matt is a serial embellisher. Don't forget that. He didn't allow a name to be released, just like he didn't ever produce a walk through tape for the last batch of suckers who breathlessly fell for his drivel.

He better be careful with his little stories because the indemnity agreement could come back to haunt him.

You want inconsistent? Specter quotes Schlereth saying, "I don't know why they would bother doing it if they weren't going to use it in that game." Then he goes on to describe, in great detail, why they would bother doing it even if they weren't going to use it in that game. This guy is one of those people who resents only having two sides of his mouth to speak out of.

Matt is a serial embellisher. Don't forget that. He didn't allow a name to be released, just like he didn't ever produce a walk through tape for the last batch of suckers who breathlessly fell for his drivel.

He better be careful with his little stories because the indemnity agreement could come back to haunt him.

There is no such agreement regarding what he tells Specter though right?

I still don't understand what is wrong with what Walsh told Specter about the signal stealing. The player (Brady or Friesz) memorized previously taped signals and told Weis what they were when they were signalled in. However, the Pats still lost that game. Go figure.

Also, there is nothing wrong with what was done based on the rules. Stealing signs is legal. Its the job of one of the back-up qbs every game. To watch the opposing team and try and steal signs.

Actually, the indemnity agreement said that Walsh had to be truthful on the matter in general. So, if he lied to one, his indemnity is gone. And that is what I mentioned earlier. Specter basically said that Walsh lied to Goodell because Walsh told Goodell that the tapes weren't used during the game. Specter said that Walsh told him they were.

So, either Goodell or Specter are lying. My bet is Specter because I doubt that Walsh wants to go to jail for Grand Theft. And that is why he was honest with Goodell and that Specter made stuff up.

If he lies to anyone over and above what he revealed to the commissioner, and they can prove he knowingly is doing so, all bets are off.

Potentially damaging:

Any ideas who this former offensive player could be & why Walsh wasn't forced to reveal their identity?

The bigger question is why would Walsh be privvy to such information? Belichick is a very close to the vest type of guy. Why would an entry level video guy get information that no one else has apparently have?

Also wouldn't this story go against Specter's and the guy from ESPN he can't remember the name of's theory of filming to use in the game go against this story?

I still don't understand what is wrong with what Walsh told Specter about the signal stealing. The player (Brady or Friesz) memorized previously taped signals and told Weis what they were when they were signalled in. However, the Pats still lost that game. Go figure.

Also, there is nothing wrong with what was done based on the rules. Stealing signs is legal. Its the job of one of the back-up qbs every game. To watch the opposing team and try and steal signs.

Yeah, it is, and if Specter was well-versed on the subject he would understand it as a rehashing or a more detailed explanation of previously admitted transgressions.

Matt Walsh is the real "man behind the curtain". The coaches always ask for the video guy to give them the info. :rolleyes:

I didn't watch the live Press Conference, but I guess the upshot is that Specter wants to conduct an investigation along the lines of the Mitchell Commission.

Here's my take:

1) From the snippets I heard and read of today's Press Conference, Sen. Specter seems to have lost his grip. Specter's reputation for years on the Hill has been that of a reasonable, moderate guy, unlike the primmadonna-ish reputations of many of his colleagues. His behavior in this case is really out of character. Perhaps it is age (though that's a biased thing to say) or perhaps it's a combination of age and the ravages of a terminal illness and its treatment. Or, perhaps someone made him really mad.

2) Did somebody do something to make this guy (Sen. Specter) really mad? Perhaps he feels that Goodell and the Patriots haven't been deferential enough to him as the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee and senior member of the Antitrust Subcommittee. Perhaps it was Goodell's failure to answer his original letter in a timely manner (Goodell claimed that the letter went to the wrong address and that he didn't see it for over a month after it was sent, but that sounds like a "the dog ate my homework" excuse). Senators of Specter's stature and seniority are accustomed to prompt, sycophantic responses to letters they personally sign on Senate business, usually the day they are received. Four to six weeks of silence is more or less unheard of.

3) To my knowledge, neither the NFL nor the Patriots have publically addressed the Antitrust dimension of this case. Specter is arguing that, since the NFL receives special considerations under what I believe is called the "Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961," Spygate raises reasonable concerns about the fairness of the League's competition. His argument is that congress has an interest in the integrity of the game since it is allowed, among other things, to package and sell the broadcast rights of 32 different teams, which has proven extremely lucrative for owners and players alike. Those of you who have longed to get the "NFL Sunday Ticket" but haven't been able to get it because you don't or (in my urban case) can't have a Dish, might be interested to know that Specter was complaining about this well before Spygate. This is also at the heart of the Comcast argument.

4) The bottom line is that I think Specter brought a pre-existing concern about access to NFL games to the table as well as a pre-existing loathing for the NFL's management and status. I was one of the first to point out Specter's financial ties to Comcast out here in February. Combine that with Specter's ego along with some clouding of his judgment due to age and illness and the Patriots were basically roadkill.

5) If you've never worked directly with or known US Senators, it's hard to appreciate just how massive their egos are. I would be very curious to know what the Krafts' strategy was for dealing with Specter (if they had one), whether they approached any senior members of the Massachusetts delegation or, indeed, what their relationship is with that delegation.

Last edited:

The bigger question is why would Walsh be privvy to such information? Belichick is a very close to the vest type of guy. Why would an entry level video guy get information that no one else has apparently have?

Also wouldn't this story go against Specter's and the guy from ESPN he can't remember the name of's theory of filming to use in the game go against this story?

Well according to Specter, Matt was told this by the former offensive player. I agree it doesn't make sense why a player would even talk to Matt, but if he told Goodell this same story why wasn't he forced to reveal the player's name?

Another issue that may nullify Walsh's indemnity contract is that he was specifically asked, by Goodell, if there was anything else he wanted to share. If there was anything else he felt was important. Walsh told Goodell "No.". So, he chose to NOT divulge to Goodell about this supposed instance where a player told him how the tapes were used? I find that very hard to believe. Especially when he knows he's facing criminal charges of Grand Theft?

It is a travesty that a bumbling moron like Spector can be elected over and over to the Senate. Talk about corruption, all U. S. Senators are on the take when you consider the "donations" they get from businesses, that's another word for payoff or bribery. They get to keep all the tax free bribes when they retire. How's that for honesty. I sure as hell believe that Roger Goodell does a better job running the NFL than the Congress does running the country.

I believe that Goodell came down way to hard on the Patriots with the loss of a first round draft pick. I also hope they convincingly trounce every team they play in particular the Jets led by the King Rat himself, Mangina.

Another issue that may nullify Walsh's indemnity contract is that he was specifically asked, by Goodell, if there was anything else he wanted to share. If there was anything else he felt was important. Walsh told Goodell "No.". So, he chose to NOT divulge to Goodell about this supposed instance where a player told him how the tapes were used? I find that very hard to believe. Especially when he knows he's facing criminal charges of Grand Theft?

I did like how Specter tried to spin this as Goodell telling Walsh that he basically is done with him and doesn't want to hear anything else. Granted Specter said it so convolutedly that I don't think many people got what the heck he was talking about.

I saw this in Reiss blog just now and found it mystifying...

Now, I'm a very smart guy, but I did a double take when I read the part in bold. Credulity means : A disposition to believe too readily. Having a disposition to believe too readily is something that Specter has shown us he doesn't have to begin with. And Goodell hasn't shown credulity either.

From what I can decipher, straining credulity is a GOOD thing, isn't it? Or am I missing something? Or did Specter misspeak and mean to said CREDIBILITY?

Thats what you get when you rely to heavily on spell check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes