PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scott Pioli - anyone notice after he left, Pats drafted better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The high end was lacking, but there were some good players amidst the dross. Pittsburgh was the huge winner of that draft.

As for the Pats, the picks they made were clearly lousy. The picks they didn't make, though, were outstanding, including Welker, Moss and Mayo. So a mixed bag overall.

I agree. The teams that did the best were Pittsburgh, who got Timmons and Woodley among others and Carolina who came away with Beason, Kalil and Charles Johnson as well as the Jets who got Revis and Harris. Philly got Kolb, Bradley and Celek. NYG got DeOsse, Boss and Bradshaw in the 4th, 5th and 7th rounds.

Re: OT: Scott Pioli

Is it possible that the pairing had gotten a bit stale? Sure, but it's clear that Pioli is very capable when it comes to selecting players and does a hell of a good job as a GM. That's really all I was getting at. I don't see it as a contest between BB and Pioli, since they are running teams that have recently been at very different points on the success scale, and they've needed different strategies as a result.

You bring up an interesting thought... the Patriots struggles drafting from 2006-2008 might be due more to the clashing of heads between Belichick and Pioli. This is PURE speculation on my part, but if both guys were starting to compete (for lack of a better word) over draft picks, who's guys did better, etc, then instead of working together to find the best picks, they may have been subconsciously choosing based on their own factors.

I probably didn't explain that quite right. Maybe a quicker analogy would be "too many cooks in the kitchen". You need one guy to be the primary decision maker so that the vision is unified. Whether that's BB or Pioli, I think you're in good hands.

yep.

this year's draft class looks brutal.

1st round pick baldwin already off to a bad start, replete with off-the-field transgressions and fights with teammates (e.g. respected veteran thomas jones)

yesterday's loss to buffalo in arrowhead has to be deeply disturbing to chiefs fans, who have seen their team (especially the offense) struggle since weiss left for the university of florida.

doesn't get any easier this sunday with a trip to ford field to take on detroit.

You bring up an interesting thought... the Patriots struggles drafting from 2006-2008 might be due more to the clashing of heads between Belichick and Pioli. This is PURE speculation on my part, but if both guys were starting to compete (for lack of a better word) over draft picks, who's guys did better, etc, then instead of working together to find the best picks, they may have been subconsciously choosing based on their own factors.

The Patriots drafted well from 2001 to 2004, then from 2009 to now (2011). The middle bad draft period coincides with Josh McDaniels being part of the Patriot draft process, working out players personally and giving his recommendations which influenced our draft picks. In another major coincidence, McDaniels went on and completely destroyed Denver's roster with about a dozen different terrible personnel moves.

Pioli is one of the best in the business. How quickly people forget how bad that Chiefs team was the year before he became GM over there.

The Patriots drafted well from 2001 to 2004, then from 2009 to now (2011). The middle bad draft period coincides with Josh McDaniels being part of the Patriot draft process, working out players personally and giving his recommendations which influenced our draft picks. In another major coincidence, McDaniels went on and completely destroyed Denver's roster with about a dozen different terrible personnel moves.

Pioli is one of the best in the business. How quickly people forget how bad that Chiefs team was the year before he became GM over there.

Who can forget that he even traded for Laurence Maroney, or let Hillis/Sheffler/Alphonso Smith go for pennies. For a full breakdown of all the terrible moves, someone even made a website about this. Apparently he ruffled more than a few feathers while in Denver.

www.joshmcdanielssucks.com | Timeline Josh McDaniels Sucks

The Patriots in general are very week at drafting certain positions such as WR and OLB. I have to assume that the problem with WRs is that the Patriots want super-boy scouts and not many elite WRs are boy scouts (although Bethel Tate was not a boy scout). With OLB I am assuming that part of the problem is unrealistic requirements for height or 3-4 requirements....

Noticed how often an ex-Patriot who used to be the talk of this forum gets shat on the minute he is no longer rockin' the Flyin' Elvis? ;)

Don't forget the corollary.

That a Patriot that use to be considered a total bum becomes the talk of the forum the minute he begins rocking the Flyin' Elvis.

See: Haynsworth, Albert &
Cinco, Ocho.

Also known as the Patrick Chung/Sebastian Vollmer year.

And also known as the Brandon Tate/Tyrone McKenzie/lil' Richie OBurger/Georgie Bustey/Jake Ingram/Darryl Richard draft.

But Mr. Drake is wrong in this respect: Pioli was already in KC by the 2009 draft.

I generally agree, but if one looks at the 2001 draft, there was Seymour, Light...and nobody.

The 2004 draft produced Wilfork, Bumblin' Ben Watson...and nobody.

Skippy was def. part of the lousy decision-making, but he also def. wasn't the only part of it.

When he was here =god now villain, same ever, player coaches staff

Knowshon Moreno
Robert Ayers
Alphonso Smith
Demaryius Thomas
Tim Tebow
Peyton Hillis
Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
Brandon Marshall

I don't think McDaniels is a bad football coach. He's one of the top play-callers and offensive coaches in the league. He's a terrible personnel decision maker.

McDaniel's first mistake was driving Cutler out of town. then he traded away Hillis and Marshall. And *facepalm* drafted Tebow in the 1st. and the laundry list of mistakes just started snowballing. He deserved to get canned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back