PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter tweets Pats looking to trade UP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you will change your mind a little after checking out these highlights

YouTube - Texas A&M Von Miller Highlights

His speed off the edge is extremely impressive....don't know if that will translate to the pros because guys like Vernon Gholston looked dominant before he was drafted and then failed as a pro,but I like what I have seen of Miller and that video shows him at his best.

I like miller quite a bit. He's got some of best pass rush moves in this draft. The only problem I see in his game is his ability to take himself out of the play when he rushes the passer. That, and his smallish size should be considered if he can set the edge. I'd take him in a heartbeat though and let bb coach him up.

Nothing in the tweet says - the Pats are trying to move up into the single digits. It just generaically says x, y, and z teams are looking to move up. So don't read into it more than is there. I also don't see the fascination with Quinn. He has a VERY high bust potential and a bunch of red flags.

I am with you nut

I think Miller has all the intangibles to be a Willie McGinest type on this defense.....maybe even better because while Willie took about 5 years to become dominant,Miller can go in as a rookie and do it right away.

Giving up 17 and 28 to trade up is only worthwhile if its going up to 5 for Miller IMO

Miller is giving up about 20 lbs and 3" on Willie McGinnest. I don't see the comparison.

Last edited:
Don't see it. Dareus is the only player I could possibly see them trade way up for and he will go in the top 3 out of their reach. Better to get a solid starter at or around 17 (Ingram, Castonzo, Jordan), then trade 28 and 33, each for a 2011 2 and 2012 2. Then take 5 quality players between, say, 38 and 92. Then we are set up next year with 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

And the legal beagles then say: "No Draft"!

I have been saying for a while this is the year the Pats trade up. They have the ammo. This is a very draft at the top for players of need for the Pats.

I don't know if Miller is realistic since they may have to trade all the way up to the second pick since the Bills might take him at 3. Aldon Smith or Robert Quinn are a possibility. I don't think Peterson is a possibility since assuming Leigh Bodden comes back 100%, the CB position actually becomes fairly deep. Green or Jones are possibilities. Bowers may drop to 17. So I don't think it is him.

I don't see the Patriots moving up in this draft due to the expense and the shortage of picks next year. However, if they did move up I would agree that it would be for Miller or Quinn. I can't see them moving up for Jones.

I don't see the Patriots moving up in this draft due to the expense and the shortage of picks next year. However, if they did move up I would agree that it would be for Miller or Quinn. I can't see them moving up for Jones.

I feel the shortage of picks is overblown. They are missing their sixth and seventh round picks next year. They will easily replace those later in the draft. They have a pick in each of the first five rounds next year. Now if they were missing picks early, then I would agree. Odds are they will trade away later picks on Saturday to higher picks in 2012. I don't know if the Pats will use any of their first four picks for future picks.

Wait a minute...Since all the tweet pretty much says is a list of teams wanting to 'move up,' I am not sold at all that it is even our first pick at 17.

We could very well be exploring the possibilities of moving up from 28 or even 33, depending on which one we will trade down into next year for.

It's certainly possible that he is attempting to explore all of the options before choosing on what to do at 17. If for example, he wants to take someone at 17, he may very well want to move back up into the early to mid 20's to take either Wilkerson or Heyward--something we have been talking about for weeks.

At least this will add to the excitement of the draft, that's always a positive ;)

I see a move up from one of these picks much more likely. This way you land a top DE plus Kerrigan, Ingram, Solder, or whoever it is that Belichick is liking.

Maybe you will change your mind a little after checking out these highlights

YouTube - Texas A&M Von Miller Highlights

His speed off the edge is extremely impressive....don't know if that will translate to the pros because guys like Vernon Gholston looked dominant before he was drafted and then failed as a pro,but I like what I have seen of Miller and that video shows him at his best.

was that LT"?????wow

I don't think there is a hurry to move up, personally think the noises will come from all teams in the top 7 all on the phone to BB trying to nab the two first rounders, its a situation where I think the trade chart goes right out the window. I think Denver would be a great spot, they could get Jimmy Smith and any one of the DLs with the other first.

Last edited:
The main thing to keep in mind about this draft is that Belichick has the ammunition to take whoever he wants - "his guys" - any where in the draft...

There's really no reason for him to settle for second choices - nor would I expect him from refraining from turning a 2nd round pick into a 1st for next year when there's likely a rookie salary system in place.

Basically whatever he does - whoever he picks - he does so with a better level of judgement for who "his guys" are than any of us. I expect we'll hear refrains of "Belichick over-reached" at points too - but as is said, if there's a guy you want you need to take him before someone else does.

The main thing to keep in mind about this draft is that Belichick has the ammunition to take whoever he wants - "his guys" - any where in the draft...

There's really no reason for him to settle for second choices - nor would I expect him from refraining from turning a 2nd round pick into a 1st for next year when there's likely a rookie salary system in place.

Basically whatever he does - whoever he picks - he does so with a better level of judgement for who "his guys" are than any of us. I expect we'll hear refrains of "Belichick over-reached" at points too - but as is said, if there's a guy you want you need to take him before someone else does.
I think we'll see BB trade down or into next year where there hopefully appears to be some more certainty to the NFL as a business. Either way I'm not fussed. I just want some non-legal crap football news about the town!

Last edited:
Nothing in the tweet says - the Pats are trying to move up into the single digits. It just generaically says x, y, and z teams are looking to move up. So don't read into it more than is there. I also don't see the fascination with Quinn. He has a VERY high bust potential and a bunch of red flags.

Miller is giving up about 20 lbs and 3" on Willie McGinnest. I don't see the comparison.

Yep, that's what I got from the report too. Nothing even comes close to claiming that the Pats are trying to move up into the single digits.

We could be trying to move up from 28 or 33 (depending on which one seems more likely traded down for a 1st next yr)

As far as Von Miller goes---does anyone out there actually think there's any type of remote chance that Von Miller WON"T be taken by the 4th or 5th pick??

Any talk of Von Miller to the NE Pats should be laughed at, in my opinion. I know I'm being harsh, but there's just no way this is happening.

This team is not moving up into the top 3 picks to draft Von Miller, LOL.

I think we'll see BB trade down or into next year where there hopefully appears to be some more certainty to the NFL as a business. Either way I'm not fussed. I just want some non-legal crap football news about the town!

That's a very positive way to look at things, and I agree with you.

Things are getting interesting:

Mike Holmgren of the Browns has made it clear he wants to deal. At least one team is listening.

We don’t know how serious talks between the Patriots and Browns are, but Greg A. Bedard of the Boston Globe reports New England has talked with Cleveland regarding interest in the No. 6 overall pick. ESPN has also reported that the Patriots want to move.

Bedard figures the Patriots want to move up for UNC pass rusher Robert Quinn, who would convert to outside linebacker in New England. Bedard believes Julio Jones or Patrick Peterson could also be targets.

Patriots have spoken with Browns about sixth pick | ProFootballTalk

Last edited:

I refuse to believe they would trade that much for a conversion project. If true they could only be looking at Jordan or Jones, IMO.

The 6th pick narrows the names down quite a bit. I would say it was for Fairley,Quinn,Jones or Green. I think Dareus and Miller are already gone by 5.

I just don't see them trading down to 6 though.

I refuse to believe they would trade that much for a conversion project. If true they could only be looking at Jordan or Jones, IMO.

All this "conversion project" talk is getting out of hand in recent years. Every single college DT, DE or LB is a conversion project for nearly every team. It's extremely rare to draft a front seven guy with previous knowledge of a system similar to the one he'll be a part of in the NFL.

In my opinion, this team needs impact players. We have a ton of good players, more than the average team, but not enough difference makers. If there is an opportunity to go grab one of these kind of guys, Bill should jump on it. Quinn is a stud and BB would find a role for him to play in our defense.

Last edited:
All this "conversion project" talk is getting out of hand in recent years. Every single college DT, DE or LB is a conversion project for nearly every team. It's extremely rare to draft a front seven guy with previous knowledge of a system similar to the one he'll be a part of in the NFL.

Quinn is a stud and has Bill would find a role for him to play in our defense.

Jordan is not a conversion project. Dareus is not a conversion project. Julio Jones is not a conversion project. Quinn is a stud, but his being able to play OLB in the 3-4 is a pure PROJECTION. BB wouldn't trade away the ammunition necessary to get to 6 for a question mark of this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back