Welcome to PatsFans.com

Schefter tweets Pats looking to trade UP

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I think if this is accurate,this is RARE to see Belichick going into single digits to get a coveted player.

http://mobile.twitter.com/evansilva/status/62611556118183937

The only player I am ruling out is Peterson...don't see a need to take him

I am starting to wonder if Von Miller is the guy they are salivating over to make this possible daring move

If they package 17 and 28 to move up we may be drafting at 6,maybe 5 and 5 might be the right spot to draft Miller

I could certainly see Arizona passing the 5 spot and thinking about getting an extra first rounder....they can get either Blaine Gabbert (some have him dropping low now) or Ryan Mallett at 17 (Mallett is rising) and going after CB Jimmy Smith at 28
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jones or Quinn
  3. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Both are good choices but I seriously doubt BB pulls a draft UPward to take a WR....no matter how good Jones appears to be,it's a longshot.

Quinn is definitely a possible target
  4. manxman2601

manxman2601 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

Mocking the top eight, Wes Bunting and one of his cohorts whose name escapes me (Bowen?), were asked which of the top eight would make the biggest first year impact. Bearing in mind that Peterson, Dareus, Miller and Green were on the list, they both said Julio Jones would have the biggest first year impact. If BB thinks the same, I don't think Jones is a longshot at all. With the narrow window to get these rookies ready to play, if BB is trading up that high, he'll want the player that can contribute the most the earliest. Factor in that Jones is out of Alabama, offers a serious redzone threat, shows great intangibles and is an excellent blocker, I'd argue that Jones is the most likely of the bunch to be BB's target.
  5. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +504 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

I don't know if I agree that it's Jones? I can't see BB moving up that far and giving up those highly coveted picks for a WR.

First of all, this news surprises me to be honest. I think Belichick must be either thinking that there will be a rookie wage scale in place, or maybe even the possibility that there will be a smaller number of draft picks who can make the team. In other words, *maybe* it's a possibility that he is straying from the approach that he took last year, in respect to the number of rookies that made the team and made an impact. He may feel as though the team is set in many ways, and needs that one or two big players to put us over the edge.

I am thinking it's a defensive player for sure. I don't personally think that Von Miller will be around past about 5 or 6. There's actually a pretty good chance that Miller will be gone earlier.

It may even actually be Watt maybe? There have been some mocks and rumors that Dallas is looking hard at him at #9. Or maybe it's Amukamara, as we did have him in for a private workout too.

Let the speculating begin for the next 36+ hours. When all is said and done, I will still be very surprised if this actually happens.
  6. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +504 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

Wait a minute...Since all the tweet pretty much says is a list of teams wanting to 'move up,' I am not sold at all that it is even our first pick at 17.

We could very well be exploring the possibilities of moving up from 28 or even 33, depending on which one we will trade down into next year for.

It's certainly possible that he is attempting to explore all of the options before choosing on what to do at 17. If for example, he wants to take someone at 17, he may very well want to move back up into the early to mid 20's to take either Wilkerson or Heyward--something we have been talking about for weeks.

At least this will add to the excitement of the draft, that's always a positive ;)
  7. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Yep, every year NE is looking to move up for the big score, and every year people are moaning and whining because NE traded back. It happens every Spring.
  8. patriotscpfc

patriotscpfc Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

9. serifyn

serifyn Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

if jones gets past the browns, he may fall into range for the patriots, but then of course you would need to believe the patriots would move up for a receiver in the first place, no one would expect it, that is for sure.
  10. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 7 / -0

#87 Jersey

Isn't Von Miller way to small to play 3-4 OLB? Plus trading up THAT high is too costly.

If Quinn gets to 10 though... :rocker:
  11. FredFromDartmouth

FredFromDartmouth Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 5 / -0

I would not rule out Peterson because of the position; another shutdown guy opposite McCourty who can cover the big WRs would be a major help. The problem is that it is not 100% clear that Peterson is a shutdown guy.

Von Miller would be a dream pick but I cannot see him dropping far enough. Quinn makes sense or Cam Jordan. We do not know how far he wants to trade up; maybe just a few spots to nab Aldon Smith or JJ Watt (both covered by a Condon though...).

I think that the Cowboys would be good trade partners since I suspect that they want to move down if we could get Jones off the freaking phone... he's like a teenage girl paging through a teen magazine while chatting away... Jones tries to imitate Jimmy Johnson and ends up moving all over the place sometimes for no good reason.
  12. stevedogc

stevedogc Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think the lowest Miller could fall is to 5th overall. The Pats certainly have enough to get him, but it will cost alot. Here are a few possibilities for a trade to #5.

Scenario #1
    Pats trades: 17, 28 & 33 (2190 points) Arizona trades: 5 & 38 (2220 points)
    Pats picks: 5, 38, 60, 74, 92, 124, 156, 184

Scenario #2
    Pats trades: 17, 33 & 74 (1750 points) Arizona trades: 5 & 133 (1740 points)
    Pats picks: 5, 28, 60, 92, 124, 133, 156, 184

Scenario #3
    Pats trades: 17, 28 & 92 (1742 points) Arizona trades: 5 & 133 (1740 points)
    Pats picks: 5, 33, 60, 74, 124, 133, 156, 184
  13. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

IMO, Miller is a much better fit than Quinn to play 3-4 OLB.

In fact, Quinn is off my draft board for the Pats.
  14. the wrothbroughterer

the wrothbroughterer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tremendous.

He moved up for Ty Warren, and with the team really in need of a dependable 34DE to match up with Wilfork it does make sense for them to be targeting a player that high. Oh and the whole TBC is our 2nd best OLB might be a problem worth addressing, too.

Not that I condone it whatsoever, due to the Judge's in these CBA rulings repeatedly bending over the owners, the trade down and trade back mantra will ultimately play out.

However, there really isn't much of a reason that they can't do both. They have enough firepower to move up into the 10-14 range, grab a player they really like, and still spin 28 for a pick this year and next, and spin either 33 or 60 (or both) for picks later picks in this draft and picks next year.
  15. Brettlax3434

Brettlax3434 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Quinning - I love it. If we trade up and get Quinn I will be the happiest man in America. He has Demarcus Ware written all over him.
  16. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Odd, I thought it spelled "B.E. Ware?"
  17. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +129 / 5 / -0

#3 Jersey

Nice. [​IMG]
  18. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 8 / -1

Fairley if he falls to 8? Kid was awesome last year. Would solve our interior pass rush problems. As Box has mentioned before, Seymour didn't play a 2-gap system at Georgia. It can be learned.
  19. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +64 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

Not too many players can get double digit sacks out of a 43 interior position. Tells me he can take on multiple blockers and get to the QB in a tough SEC. A interior pass rush is something we haven't had in a long time and I think this guy could give us that. I'd love to set him loose on the end in a 34 and see what he can do also. I envison him all over the line in various formations and base sets for the Pats. If any of these rumors are true about moving up I think it is for a player with top 3 talent that has taken a fall like Fairley. Pairing him with Wilfork up front makes too much sense imo.
  20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

BB Isn't going to move up into the top Ten to draft a WR, thats my draft prediction.

I could see Dareus Miller Quinn Fairly but Not a Wide Out
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.